I have a really bad habit of cracking my knuckles, and pulling fingers without even noticing. I am worried that this might've affected my ability to play my steel string guitar. :[ I am having trouble barring the first fret. I've had a history of cracking my joints and knuckles ever since 2nd grade or so.

anyone know finger exercises?
the myth that cracking you knuckles messes up your hands is not true. i asked my doctor once cause i crack my knuckles and play guitar and she said that its just like small amounts of gas escaping from the joint and that it really doesn't affect the cartilage in the joint
if you keep cracking your knuckles then you will get arthritis which isn't good. by the sound of it, it sounds like your already developing it if you cant barre.
Quote by thenextkirk92
if you keep cracking your knuckles then you will get arthritis which isn't good. by the sound of it, it sounds like your already developing it if you cant barre.

No. What the guy above you said is correct. Cracking your knuckles is just a release of gas. As far as most professionals are concerned it does not lead to arthritis.
I've got a bum right hand and my Chiro said that I should crack it.
And he does a lot of cracking of my neck and back and it does wonders for them.
Can't be too bad for you then...
Total myth. Actually, they talked about this one on an episode of the show Mythbusters and completely debunked it. That's just somthing housewives and grandmothers told their kids because the sound was annoying.

You can't barre because you haven't developed those muscles. Period. The only exercise is proper practice and working at it.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Cracking your knuckles is a very normal body function... kinda like farting, you only release gas. some times if you don't do it your self youl hear you joints cracking once onr twice while moving. its very normal
i find that cracking my knuckles relieves built up stress in my hands sometimes. kinda relaxing actually.
Weird thing though, I used to crack my knuckles all the time. It seemed like the more I cracked them, the more often they needed to be cracked, if you know what I mean. My knuckles started to get sore so I got scared and stopped doing it. Now, I can't crack them even if I try. There's just nothing there to crack! (no more trapped gases?) If it doesn't do any damage, I wonder why a little cracking leads to more cracking?
Quote by sunshowers
Weird thing though, I used to crack my knuckles all the time. It seemed like the more I cracked them, the more often they needed to be cracked, if you know what I mean. My knuckles started to get sore so I got scared and stopped doing it. Now, I can't crack them even if I try. There's just nothing there to crack! (no more trapped gases?) If it doesn't do any damage, I wonder why a little cracking leads to more cracking?

Yes. Crack is habit-forming and you'll find yourself doing it exponentially more.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
It's totally BS

Don't worry bout it.

Just keep on practicing, I'm suring barring will become easy sooner or later..
How long have you been playing guitar?

How is the action on your guitar?

Answer these two questions and you'll have the primary reasons you are having trouble playing barre chords... especially at the first fret. Cracking your knuckles has nothing to do with it.
Quote by jimtaka
How long have you been playing guitar?

How is the action on your guitar?

Answer these two questions and you'll have the primary reasons you are having trouble playing barre chords... especially at the first fret. Cracking your knuckles has nothing to do with it.

been playing for about 6 months, and i have a yamaha FG700S.

Thanks for the responses, So the articles I've been reading about cracking hand joints/fingers are completely false? It DOES not weaken you're grip?

yeeah, I posted this thread too soon, I am now able to bar the first fret, just a couple of hours a day for two days of practice :] woot!
^-- that's totally normal for 6 months of playing. you're moving along really well actually!