Page 1 of 2
Can dyslexic people read music?
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Apr 24, 2008,
Interesting question, actually. I'd assume they have more difficulty than non-dyslexics.

Anyone know for sure?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Wait, what?

What the hell did you do to this thread Frenchy?
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Apr 24, 2008,
I'm still waiting for the cat... In answer to your question, maybe
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Wheredafx the cat!?

Idk, they might be able to if it's tabs. But I doubt it.
That's depressing.
Forgot to edit title

FYI, this was originally a spam thread that just happened to have one single question I thought was interesting.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Forgot to edit title

FYI, this was originally a spam thread that just happened to have one single question I thought was interesting.

Oh ok, well carry on... I guess.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Well I have a friend who was raise irish-speaking and she can speak/read/write gaeilege fine but is pretty dyslexic when using english...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I guess it would be about as hard as reading anyting else for them, but i dunno. Never met a dyslexic musician.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
hey, you play the wrong note once, it's a mistake, play the wrong note twice, it's jazz.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

there's a seperate form of dyslexia for music (musical dyslexia obv). im musically dyslexic but not normally dyslexic if that makes sense
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147
Havent you heard of Ary Hcrales

oh wait, hes blind. forget it
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I'm dyslexic, and I can read music just fine. I just see the individual numbers or letters backwards. I don't know if that goes for all dyslexics though.
I have dyslexic and dyspraxic friends who play music. They both hinder them a bit but they're good musicians .
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by leftybassdude
Havent you heard of Ary Hcrales

oh wait, hes blind. forget it

Must.
Avoid.
Tasteless.
Stevie Wonder joke.
I'm mildly dyslexic and I have a lot of trouble reading normal music.. Not sure if this is my stupidity or dyslexia though:P... But I'm fine with tabs.
Quote by soulflyV
Haha, you mean like "\"?

We should just call Slash "/" from now.
Quote by donkey the wise
Must.
Avoid.
Tasteless.
Stevie Wonder joke.

Why?

It's not like he's going to read it.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
My guitar teachers dispraxic (dislexic with numbers) and he knows his theory well.
Quote by kaptink
We should just call Slash "/" from now.

That's kind of funny, here lots of people refer to urination as "slashing" e.g. "Man I really need to have a slash!"...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by soulflyV
Haha, you mean like "\"?

I was thinking hsalS

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
I knew a guy who was dyslexic, but he was also cross-eyed, so everything came out right.
/Gummo
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Why?

It's not like he's going to read it.

IV got to say...for a blind joke...that was a good one!
Quote by andy331

and i used to hump everything in sight and i had fake sex with my styuffed animals and pretended they were the pink power ranger!
Quote by josh999x
My guitar teachers dispraxic (dislexic with numbers) and he knows his theory well.

Dyspraxia is coordination. Discalculic is numbers.

Yeah, my dads a learning support teacher.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
well being dislexic and being able to read music much better than i can read words...music not written out chords....i woudl say it possible and no chords are music i jsut don't like readint htem
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
my older sis is dyslexic...

and my little bro claims he is to cover his stupid... he also plays guitar.

i have made no point here.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
lol tapping 858258525258258282522852852825825225825080800805080558

the new EVH
I'm Steve
Quote by DigUpHerBones
I have dyslexic and dyspraxic friends who play music. They both hinder them a bit but they're good musicians .

This.

I have dyspraxia. It hinders, doesn't mean I can't play guitar.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
Dyspraxia is coordination. Discalculic is numbers.

Yeah, my dads a learning support teacher.

Dysparxia is more than just co-ordination, although it is one of the most major things. Google it. I get distracted easily as I always tend to wonder off, I lose focus very easily...

EDIT: Read the my post underneath...

EDIT EDIT: Dyslexia can be a nightmare in Maths. My Dad, Grandads and most of my Great Grandads were engineers. My younger brother, although is very clever in practice, is not clever in maths academically because he struggles to explain things on paper or out in words. He can work with things physically and solve problems, just not in any other manner.
Last edited by Craigo at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by josh999x

Wrong! Dysparxics can have sequencing problems which can cause problems with Maths. It can also cause problems in following instructions, etc... I do Maths at college and I rarely have problems with it, although it affects my English skills, particularly grammar.
I"m dyslexic, i can read it but just takes more time and i read em wrong sometimes. as for piano staff i can read perfect but not sight read yet

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by fortysix&2
Well I have a friend who was raise irish-speaking and she can speak/read/write gaeilege fine but is pretty dyslexic when using english...

I was about seven, with a lot of speech therapy, before I could speak properly. I struggle to pronounce unfamiliar sounds, which hindered me badly in French

Regardless; dyspraxia is more harmful to a child's development than any other time in life. I show traits a lot but am completely fine, it's not something to worry about.
Quote by Craigo
Dysparxia is more than just co-ordination, although it is one of the most major things. Google it. I get distracted easily as I always tend to wonder off, I lose focus very easily...

EDIT: Read the my post underneath...

Yeah I know, sorry, I was just trying to put it in the simplist form possible so I didn't have to write an essay . I obviously can't explain it was well as someone who has it!
Quote by DigUpHerBones
Yeah I know, sorry, I was just trying to put it in the simplist form possible so I didn't have to write an essay .

Dyslexia and Dysparxia is caused by the brain working differently (I know dyspraxia is not working well with left and right side of the brains or something, not sure on dyslexia) and can cause all sorts of symptoms. For example, I get short tempered and anxious with hot temperatures.
Quote by Craigo

Dyslexia and Dysparxia is caused by the brain working differently (I know dyspraxia is not working well with left and right side of the brains or something, not sure on dyslexia) and can cause all sorts of symptoms. For example, I get short tempered and anxious with hot temperatures.

Fairy nuft... I used to understand them/know more about them when I was younger and ended up being tested every month.
I wouldn't imagine so. Dyslexia is a word processing disorder as far as I know (not much,) and its the order of letters that is affected.

One therapeutic treatment involves laying a lined tool across the page, so it has been found that lines and grids remediate the problem to an extent.

That being the case, and the fact that music is not linear, but 2-dimensional I wouldn't think there is a simple and direct link.

Realistically you would find some kind of complex interaction in the bell curves of "readers" and "non-readers" amongst dyslexics and non-dyslexics. Basically some dyslexics have no difficulty and read music very well, and some non-dyslexics can't read and have a great deal of difficulty.

The important thing would be finding the Median, and if the Median for both conditions was not far enough from the other condition then no correlation could be established.

Sounds like gobbledegook, but it's how science works, especially neuroscience and psychology.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Page 1 of 2