I find it amazingly hard to write lyrics if I have been listening to music all day which I normally do.... Jim morrison comes out in ever lyric i write....i have wrote the song the end like 8 times...not quite but still it always ends up resembeling his stuff..any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?
Well honestly its not a bad thing that it resembled him, just if you were plagerizing. If it sounds a little morrisony, then thats just an influence,

if it IS morrison,

then its a lawsuit
don't listen to music during or for an hour or two before writing anything. Try not to sing songs in your head during writing, come up with melodies later, etc
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
I found the same problem when writing music, I came up with a riff a little while ago and played it for the rest of the band, it turns out it was exactly the same riff as another band had released that I had never listened to before.

Wasn't happy we couldn't use it as it sounded cool, but happy it was as good as a band's released material.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
ok thanks, just drives me nuts when i come up with a catchy line that resembles a famous one by him....i'm not plagerising it but its come close...so i just trash the material thats to similar
I hate when things i play r the same or close to the same as sumtin else
Yeah i have this problem. It's mainly cause i listen to music all day certain things stick in my head. Just try to clear your mind of other lyrics. And try not to think to hard about the melody of a piece while writing. You can make it fit later.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I had the exact same problem! I would always write something and then like a week later one of my band members comes up to me and tells me it is like exactly like someone famous' stuff! I hated when that happened! My fellow band members and I discovered that if you dont think about any type of music for like an hour or so you can make some really good stuff of your own, so we sit down before actual band practice and play a few games of Call of Duty 4. It really helps to get your mind off of things... !!!
Sing it like your F**KING a Kangaroo!!!

It's a good thing when you start.

It gets you writng, which is the most important thing.

So I wouldn't ask to stop doing it, until you start to get partly famous and plagairsim is actually a problem.
Quote by Jammydude44
until you start to get partly famous and plagairsim is actually a problem.

Seriously, what?
Well if, like, you got really famous and then totally ripped of someone else, people notice.

When it's just a little ****ty piece you write in a notepad it's not big deal.

Could you expand, Joris?
i find it happens when trying to write riffs all the time!
most of my thrash riffs just end up sounding like slayer alot of the time
it gets harder to be original these days
Quote by Jammydude44
Well if, like, you got really famous and then totally ripped of someone else, people notice.

When it's just a little ****ty piece you write in a notepad it's not big deal.

hell no. i think it's a big deal any way you go about it.

EDIT: originality is zenith to the cohesion of a "good" writer. if you don't have that, you have no progress.
Last edited by ottoavist at May 1, 2008,
ok.

ill xplain more in a minute.

i dont mean it in the way you guys are taking it.

be back once off phone to gf.

crappy onehband typing.
I am with Jamie on this one.

He is not sanctioning plagiarism, he is just saying that in such an early writing career it is not a big problem, most writers when they start out are influenced by a specific artist/band, mine was Alkaline Trio, it was obvious to anyone that read my stuff I liked them, but what it did help me do was learn how they go about a song, it made me think like them but not copy them, it's that learning curve. I eventually found my own style and pursued that.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Quote by The Hurt Within
I am with Jamie on this one.

He is not sanctioning plagiarism, he is just saying that in such an early writing career it is not a big problem, most writers when they start out are influenced by a specific artist/band, mine was Alkaline Trio, it was obvious to anyone that read my stuff I liked them, but what it did help me do was learn how they go about a song, it made me think like them but not copy them, it's that learning curve. I eventually found my own style and pursued that.

Yes, exactly.

And what, you all thought I was gay?

Bastards.
Hahahaha

Well done Jamie

and secondly

I started to write like other bands when I started, I still listen to music for ideas. Normally i do something like I did today. I'll listen to a band to get in a certain mood or help a current mood i'm in. Right now i'm listening to "The Honorary Title" a quite depressing simple band but it is effective. Then I went to dictionary.com and went to the word of the day and thought of the first thing that came to mind, that became the poem that I put on to the site today.

By the time you've found your own writing style, you should be able to listen to stuff and write differntly to it. I can hear melody lines that I know have been used when i'm writing the songs, but when I play them back say a day or two later, or read them trhough and see what comes to mind, it's differnet. My moods changed, even though I still know what I meant.

That's explained very badly, i know, shuhs.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."