Hey, i've been searching around the forum for a thread that gave me an idea for a tube amp to get for the music i want to play (metalcore screamo etc) and i haven't found one yet so i decided to make a thread myself.

Right now im in a sort of budget due to my excessive spending on food and just wondering if tube combo amps would work well with my cab, if so which one is the cheapest and most crunchy. If not which tube head would be good for a very punchy but not too gainy metal overdrive. Im thinking along the lines of the Peavey windsor head or the peavy valveking. I only have a sonic maximizer pedal so i dont have any distortion pedals to add on.

budget is from 300-600 max. probably not much out there for me to choose from but i just wanna see what i can get from it.
thanks.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
B-52 At100 head or combo. Much better than the lower range Peavey stuff IMO. Basically, the AT100 is a poor mans MESA Triple rectifier but with better cleans and much cheaper. There are suposed to be reliability issues with it though, but I've never had any problems with my head. I've had it for a couple months, but i bought it used. Its about 2 years old and still works perfectly.
Im confused. You say you want a metal amp, and then you say you dont want gainy metal overdrive
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Not sure what you mean by punchy, but it sounds like you DONT want metal tone, you want classic rock, like a Marshall tone. Crunchy and smooth drive, but not "metallic" sounding.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
lets say i dont want an overly muddy tone from the distortion (im mainly mentioning this because i am currently using a line 6 spider and im sick of the mad amount of distortion) i want to be able to hear the note im playing while still having a good gainy crunchy metal tone.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
ah, note definition

you know, a few select fender amps, when EQ'd correctly, can deliver some really nicely distorted and smooth tones

my friend has a fender stage 100 that gets pretty awesome metal tones and just tones in general, it's a solid state though, but unless if you're really all for tube, look around for a stage 100

if anything, save up some more money

if you can afford it somehow, if you're a lead player, get a carvin legacy, those are awesome

or, get an epiphone valve junior and drive the tube in it with ten mxr micro amps, that should get a pretty decent nice tube distorted tone, hahah
lots of gain on its own doesnt make an amp muddy. the eq-ing between gain stages makes it muddy.
ah then maybe its just my crappy 250 dollar head.
i think im just gonna follow The Charm and save up for a b-52 at100 head. its reasonably priced and i've read its pretty good.