my cab size?

I have a 100 watt Carvin V3, tone-aside, this issue is about the power

usually i would try out 100 watt heads with 4x12 cabs and it would be explosive at 2-3 on volume, but thats not the case with my V3

my friend's 100 watt solid state was kicking my amps ass at volume when it was set at 2 and mine was at around 4.5 master and 5 on my channel

I was told that it's not the amp, but it's just the fact that i have a 2x12 cab and that it's on the ground so i can't hear myself that well, but my sound still projects
(my friend has his amp stacked onto another 2x12, and elevated on this small platform he has, so the speaker is right by your face)

so is it just my cab size?
maybe its a different style of volume pot? yours might be what they call linear style where as his caps out at around 4-5.

is there any difference in volume on his amp between 5 and 10?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
put the cab up on a bench i have the same issue with my orange cab becuase its quite short and isnt angled i lose a fair bit of high fequencies becuase it is aimed at my face
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by Kivarenn82
maybe its a different style of volume pot? yours might be what they call linear style where as his caps out at around 4-5.

That's what I was thinking. Some amps don't have much noticable change in volume after a certain point and their volume knobs are more sensitive.

Other things to check out:

The V3 has a master volume right? What are your individual channel volumes at?

If your mids are low, this is probably the cause of why you don't cut through. An amp turned up pretty loud still won't cut through over another with mids cranked.

A power tube could be dying, though it's probably not the case as usually volume will cut drastically, then come back in, which doesn't sound like what yours is doing, unless only one of the power tubes died and lowered the volume of the amp without you noticing.

The V3 has a 50/100W switch if I'm not mistaken, though it wouldn't make much of a difference, maybe you have it on 50W and your friends amp is set at 100 or something which might lead his to be louder at "lower volumes."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a V3 212 combo and a 150 watt solid state and the solid state has to be on atleast 5 to keep up with the V3 on 2......
Don't have your cab on the ground, put it on something and then tilt it upwards so its facing your upper body/head more.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Kivarenn82

oh my god, that makes all the sense in the world

his volume control IS pretty sensitive compared to mine

and thanks to all you guys also, i'll try and find a way to prop it upward or higher