I just got a new randall G3 series 200w tube amp. It's a huge step up from my little 15w one..
I'm looking for a really nice tone for playing metal. and i'm not really sure what settings to have my amp on? can someone help?

Cheers
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
What about Contour? What ever that is xD
The gear.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
I'd personally have pre gain on 10 and post gain on 5 also, but I'd keep my mids somehwere around 4, bass on 8, and treble on 7. Should be tight for rhythm and clear enough for leads and other higher parts.
Contour on like, 2 if you want a tight thrashy/death metal sound. Basically, the contour is thetype of distortion you have. Higher contour means your distortion will be a bit more on the trebly side, while putting it lower will boast some tight low end.
Aah I see. Thank you.
The gear.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Just so you know for future reference. You don't have a tube amp, you have a hybrid amp.

200watts Tube would destroy your country.

But its still a good amp. I have a Randall Vmax series 1 (they're not made anymore) and its a 400watt hybrid (massive overkill I know) So i'll just give you my settings on that.

Gain : 8-10
Bass : 6-8
Mids : 5
Treble : 7
Presence : 7
Tone : 3-4

Thats what I'm using at the moment. Don't know if yours has the presence and tone or not but anyway.

Also, Definitely get yourself an EQ for it. It'll open up a whole new world of tones. I have a 6 band built into mine and its so much better with the EQ on.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
"200w Tube" What it says on it =P I took a guess it was a tube amp lol.
No, Mine doesn't have Presence or tone..Just Gain 1 Gain 2 Treble Middle (voicing) Bass Contour Reverb and volume..
The gear.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W

Find me your amp on the internet.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
I thought all the Randall G3 series amps were solid state (or, well, hybrid). Also, a 120 watt tube amp is too loud. I can't imagine what a 200 watt amp would be like.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
200 tube watts would annihilate children still in the womb.

200 watts anything is massive overkill...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
200 tube watts would annihilate children still in the womb.

200 watts anything is massive overkill...

200 Bass watts are overkill!

EDIT:Aren't overkill
Last edited by LarksTongues at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by LarksTongues
200 Bass watts are overkill!

bass frequencies take a lot more power to amplify, 200W isn't overkill at all for a bass amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
bass frequencies take a lot more power to amplify, 200W isn't overkill at all for a bass amp.

Dammit, that was a typo, I meant are not overkill.
Ah, I forgot bass amps...

I shoulda specified (and, Horlicks, I was saying that 200 tube watts would be maniacal)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by blair30
200W tube = Hiroshima

That said, it would be frickin awesome

*cough* Crate BV600 (although it's only a marketing trick). That thing has what, 25 tubes? And comes with the matching 1612cab (yes, sixteen speakers, all twelve inches). 600 tube watts. Guitar amp.

For a bass amp I don't think even 200 tube watts would be overkill THAT much. Maybe a little, but don't we all love a little overkill?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
that amp has 1 (12at7) tube in the power amp section so its a hybrid
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Plus with EMG 81/85(18v mod)
PRS Tremonti SE
Randall V2
Genz Benz G-Flex 212
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Quote by Fama
*cough* Crate BV600 (although it's only a marketing trick). That thing has what, 25 tubes? And comes with the matching 1612cab (yes, sixteen speakers, all twelve inches). 600 tube watts. Guitar amp.

even the BV300 is majorly overkill, i'v seen max cavellera use one of those things and just had to question why.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by juckfush
I'd personally have pre gain on 10 and post gain on 5 also, but I'd keep my mids somehwere around 4, bass on 8, and treble on 7. Should be tight for rhythm and clear enough for leads and other higher parts.

The mid scoop sounds good playing in your bedroom or whatever. When you're playing out or in a band setting you're gonna want to turn the mids back up. It'll make the difference between being heard or not. Mid scoop sounds mean & dirty, but it's the best way to destroy audible notes in the mix - it took me about 10 years to figure that one out.... Don't forget the Guitar is a midrange instrument - if you wanna be heard, crank up your mids
Thanks for all the help =]

Yeah I did some research on the amp.It is hybrid. But it just says tube on it. xD
The gear.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W