Ok guys, i'm running a windows machine for recording (vista 32, Q6600, 2gb ram) as well as it being my general pc. What i'm doing is getting a bit heavy on soft-synths and sample-playback, so i tried to add more ram, (yes, i know 32bit can't access all of 4gb) going up to 4gb. Well, after a day of problems (lack of boot up both to windows and linux) i've got it running w/ 3gb of ram - barely. I had a pretty stable system before (apart from problems caused by a faulty CPU fan) but now it's crashing lots . So i'm seriously considering switching to 64 bit windows to get a stable boot w/ more than 2 gb ram. My question is:

To all those who have used windows x64 for a considerable length of time, how do XP pro and Vista Premium compare in terms of power, driver quality and stability?

i know both have their problems, just like any edition of windows, and you all have your own opinions, but what are the pros and cons of each?
vista sucks **** and fails miserably, go with xp
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Santos Martinez SM-650 Classical
Marshall AVT 50 Valvestate 2000
Line 6 Pod XT
I'm running Windows XP 64-Bit with an Q6600 and 4GB ram. I don't have any problems at all.

The only thing is: Windows XP 32-Bit Service packs IS NOT the same as Windows XP 64-Bit Service packs.
its my understanding that a lot of software and hardware wont run with the 64 bit software at this time...

stick with XP if you are running a PC you want to run fast, IMO its a better OS at this time.
A quad core pro. and 3GB ram should get you running without any problems IMO but when running a lot of soft synths you may want to network a few PCs together.

networking - tweaks guide:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_network_your_studio.html

BTW vista doesnt suck, It just takes some time to get used to and know how to work.
Once you know how to work with it you should not have any problems. The only problems Ive had and other have run into are drivers for their hardware. My UX1 toneport had vista drivers but it just could not stay up for anymore than a few minutes without crashing. I'm sure line6 will work that out one of these days but for now im sticking with m-audio gear.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by s6k
vista sucks **** and fails miserably, go with xp

Not only is that not very helpful, it's just not true. Once you know how to work vista (are if you are willing to babysit it a bit) it's a perfectly good OS - it just got let out a bit prematurely, and without good enough instructions available. If you can't give useful details, don't bother.

To the rest of you, thanks for the advice so far. It seems that the consensus is that XP x64 is more powerful and more stable - same as in the general computing industry. I know that for mainstream products, pretty much all manufacturers (apart from Creative) have now got good working 64bit drivers available, how is it for recording interfaces and other studio hardware?
Recording Magazine had a pretty in-depth article on recording with Vista OS, and gave it the thumbs up. I'm still using XP, though. It works well enough for everything I do, so I can't justify spending the money to upgrade.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Keep away from any type of Vista. 1 year and service pack later and it's still problematic.
Microsoft now plan to replace it as soon as next year.
It's a disgrace that Microsoft couldn't write a decent operating system given all this time.
Last edited by mfinnan101 at Apr 26, 2008,
If you're going to recording interfaces in the cheap price range (like TonePort GX) almost none of them supports drivers for Vista 64. In other terms you basically can't make use of any recording interfaces as long as you don't get one of the more expensive ones.

Just keep that in mind.
I don't know of one business that's using it. I don't ever see my college switching to it. The only thing it offers is it's interface but it's possible to get all that in XP. What really is the point in using Vista?
It just takes some time to get used to and know how to work

It may mature given enough service packs, remember XP when it first came out?
XP was pretty crap at the beginning making 2000 the better option. Remember all Vista's failed promises?
Blistering Speed - Instead Microsoft rush out an Operating System bloated like an elephant that eats system resources for breakfast.
New File System - A new version of NTFS not prone to fragementation, great idea we never saw it though......
Last edited by mfinnan101 at Apr 26, 2008,
I forgot to say 64bit operating systems are still in early days yet and won't hit the mainstream until about 2010 - Avoid them until then.
They're saying that Vista will be the last OS you can buy. Post-Vista will mean one of two options:

1. Whole operating system is installed. Upon login, initializes most basic of functions - essentially allowing it only to go online and authenticate itself through the Microsoft server to ensure your subscription/monthly fee is up-to-date. The rest of it will 'unlock' once this process is completed.

2. Only the most basic core components are installed. The rest of your OS is on-line. You know how you can create Word documents, and .pdf's on line through Google Documents without actually having those programs on your computer? How about something like Google OS? Open Source?! Hey.... maybe Open Source Operating System, or OSOS?!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by mfinnan101
I don't know of one business that's using it. I don't ever see my college switching to it. The only thing it offers is it's interface but it's possible to get all that in XP. What really is the point in using Vista?

It may mature given enough service packs, remember XP when it first came out?
XP was pretty crap at the beginning making 2000 the better option. Remember all Vista's failed promises?
Blistering Speed - Instead Microsoft rush out an Operating System bloated like an elephant that eats system resources for breakfast.
New File System - A new version of NTFS not prone to fragementation, great idea we never saw it though......

yea my college and work place are still on XP as well, they even are swapping out PCs but getting them with XP.

I just got a service pack sent to my computer last night and installed it. All is good except that it broke my sound. All I have is my SPDIF for output which doesn't help me, I cant find the selection for my standard sound output in the control panel...
I'll have to try looking up some card drivers for my laptop.