Well, at some point today (I'm assuming at a more US friendly time) Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is released to the world.

I fully intend on sticking Ubuntu on my system, using Wubi to install it (it creats a virtual HDD in the way of a file), so that I may intall Ubuntu without partitioning my HDD / risk losing data.

My question is: Does anybody here use Ubuntu / Linux? How easy is it to set up and have full functionality of my system?

Edit: Ubuntu is an OS for a PC. Windows is an example of an OS.
Last edited by saphrax at Apr 24, 2008,
you what?
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Wouldn't it be rich if Bill Gates had llinux on his pc? Since Vista is such a pile of **** it wouldn't surprise me.
I still cannot get mine to install java or the MP3 codecs. I'll be binning it as soon as I get my new hdd.
Having to play with line upon line of code to get my wireless card to work isn't my idea of fun.
Try it, you may like it, I'm just too used to Windows.
Note to self: Must check dates on TS's post.
Last edited by Oli_88 at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by mfinnan101
Wouldn't it be rich if Bill Gates had llinux on his pc? Since Vista is such a pile of **** it wouldn't surprise me.

Bill Gates probably has Windows 2010 on his computer already... rich asshole...
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
It's easy if you give yourself the time to read tutorials and stuff.
After a while you can do most things by yourself, at the beginning you're like "How do I install Amarok?!?!?!"
Quote by Ostinattos
It's easy if you give yourself the time to read tutorials and stuff.
After a while you can do most things by yourself, at the beginning you're like "How do I install Amarok?!?!?!"

More like, "Where's the .exe????????????????"

That was me for 2 hours.

Then I went back to Vista.
Quote by Thornography
More like, "Where's the .exe????????????????"

That was me for 2 hours.

Then I went back to Vista.

Noob
Quote by Ostinattos
Noob

I didn't know they had computers in Mexico.

OoooooooOOOOooOOO snap

I don't mean it.
Quote by saphrax
Well, at some point today (I'm assuming at a more US friendly time) Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is released to the world.

I fully intend on sticking Ubuntu on my system, using Wubi to install it (it creats a virtual HDD in the way of a file), so that I may intall Ubuntu without partitioning my HDD / risk losing data.

My question is: Does anybody here use Ubuntu / Linux? How easy is it to set up and have full functionality of my system?

Edit: Ubuntu is an OS for a PC. Windows is an example of an OS.

It's stupid easy to install (I also did Wubi) and uninstall too. You can do 99% of stuff through Synaptic File Manager...it's just the 1% trying to get stuff working that is very difficult.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
It's dead easy, don't know about Wubi, though.

I resent Ubuntu, though, because it's not half of what Linux really should be. It's got poor hardware optimization, but it's easy to install and use. I guess that makes up for it, for some.
I'm a communist. Really.