I'm still doing homework on the AD15VT vs. AD30VT trade off and have read a few places that the trade-off for greater tube saturation and overdrive sound is a worse tone at lower volumes when you use the attenuator to lower the voltage. Is this true, and if so why and doesn't that kill the point of using an attenuator....which I believe is suppose to be high volume sound at low levels. With respect to those two models, I'm still a beginner and honestly can't say I've noticed that much of a difference with my untrained ear.

Thanks!
Quote by Eddie NYC
I'm still doing homework on the AD15VT vs. AD30VT trade off and have read a few places that the trade-off for greater tube saturation and overdrive sound is a worse tone at lower volumes when you use the attenuator to lower the voltage.

First, the attenuator doesn't lower the voltage. I'm pretty sure about that.

Second, a real attenuator does indeed kill a little tone - but so little it's worth using the attenuator to get cranked sound at low volume levels. I believe the "attenuator" in the Vox AD30VT's is not the same as other attenuators, since it only has one powertube (it wouldn't produce much volume at all without the SS power amp section (correct me if I'm wrong)). How well does it work? Pretty well I believe, but I haven't used it myself.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Ghold125
the vox ad's are not tube amps...

yep hes right
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
It's not so much that it kills the tone but it does filter off high end. The reason people use them is because overdriving your power tubes sounds different than overdriving your preamp tubes. Sometimes it's worth having less high end if it means getting the right type of distortion. On some fender and peavey amps they are so bright that bleeding a little trebble off is a welcome improvement.

That said, too much of anything is bad. You don't want too much bass, too much midrange, or too much trebble. You also don't want too much attenuation.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Fama
First, the attenuator doesn't lower the voltage. I'm pretty sure about that.

Second, a real attenuator does indeed kill a little tone - but so little it's worth using the attenuator to get cranked sound at low volume levels. I believe the "attenuator" in the Vox AD30VT's is not the same as other attenuators, since it only has one powertube (it wouldn't produce much volume at all without the SS power amp section (correct me if I'm wrong)). How well does it work? Pretty well I believe, but I haven't used it myself.

so with the 1 watt or so power tube (i think that's what it is), it's more for coloring the sound than producing the tube drive? So in the Vox's case it can be pretty minor?
I used to own the AD30VT and I used the speaker volume extensively. It tended to sound better with the master volume cranked and the speaker volume down than the other way around. When I was able to increase the speaker volume, I did not notice a significant improvement in tone, just the increase in volume.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's not so much that it kills the tone but it does filter off high end. The reason people use them is because overdriving your power tubes sounds different than overdriving your preamp tubes. Sometimes it's worth having less high end if it means getting the right type of distortion. On some fender and peavey amps they are so bright that bleeding a little trebble off is a welcome improvement.

That said, too much of anything is bad. You don't want too much bass, too much midrange, or too much trebble. You also don't want too much attenuation.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. Degree of tone loss depends on the amp, but there will be some loss of dynamics & liveliness to the sound (like presence/highs). If you like a really touch-sensitive feel when you play, DO NOT use an attenuator.
As previously noted, attenuators are good only for tube amps.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Yeah, this is pretty much it. Degree of tone loss depends on the amp, but there will be some loss of dynamics & liveliness to the sound (like presence/highs). If you like a really touch-sensitive feel when you play, DO NOT use an attenuator.
As previously noted, attenuators are good only for tube amps.

Thanks. So as it relates to the AD15VT vs AD30VT is the consensus that the attenuator for the 30 is more of just another volume control so you don't really get extra drive? If not, is the extra 'drive' or saturation you get from the one tube worth buying a 30 watt just to lower the volume way down for late night playing compared to just doing it normally with the 30? I know the 8 inch vs 10 inch speaker plays into some of the sound differences which makes the question not exactly apples to apples. I honestly can't tell now, but as I get better at this probably will if it's a big difference.