So, after searching these and other forums for a couple of days trying to research and finding endless conflicting information, I figured I'd just start my own thread about it.

Background: In the UK, Bristol to be precise. Been playing about 4 years now, currently playing a Yamaha Pacifica through a Zoom 505 into a Roland Cube 15 amp. Got some money now so I'm looking to overhaul my whole setup.

Budget is at around £200ish. Looking for something that will work well with pedals, and sounds good played at bedroom/dorm volumes.

What I play: Hard rock/metal/post rock. Examples such as Opeth, Tool, Isis, Oceansize, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Explosions in the Sky.

Preferably like an amp that will handle that sort of heavy Tool tone, as well as the warm Explosions in the Sky cleans, but I realise that 5-15 watts doesn't give much room to play with.

Amps I've considered so far:

Epi Valve Junior/Harley Benton GA5
Epi Valve Standard/Harley Benton GA15
Ibanez ValBee
Fender Champ 600

Any recommendations on guitars also welcome, as I'm looking to get one of them too.

Cheers
I have a VJ and really like it, but you will need some pedals with it...

An overdrive for hard rock and distortion for metal...I use a bad monkey & metal muff.
Line 6 Spider III
you could get a 30-watt for about 200 american dollars. im not sure about euros..
if your looking for a tube amp u could get a Crate Palomino. those sound good and theyre over the top expensive.
Quote by CFHguitar
Line 6 Spider III
you could get a 30-watt for about 200 american dollars. im not sure about euros..
if your looking for a tube amp u could get a Crate Palomino. those sound good and theyre over the top expensive.

Stop recommending that. It's a poor amp compared to the others he could buy.
Quote by Horlicks
Laney VC15

+1

It would have to be used and it still won't do the job that well, but for what he is looking to do and with that budget, it's the best you will find in the UK.

The tiny terror is also a good choice.
Not taking any online orders.
If you can afford the valbee..why not? or the Laney VC15.
Quote by 100Roy001
I used to have sex with dolls.
When I was really young, though.

Like, 26 or something.

Quote by Horlicks
Why used? I got mine for £200

Last I looked they were sitting at around 250 to 275. I guess they are a little cheaper now.
Not taking any online orders.
I have been using the new Fender Champ and think it's absolutely the best value for money. More tone and sound you can ever need in your house. I struggle to use it on volume over 3 or 4 without upsetting people. Great rock effects. It's a valve amp too! all for less than £200. I would recomend to anyone.
I definately like the look of that Laney amp, just a case of finding somewhere to try it out.

I have been using the new Fender Champ and think it's absolutely the best value for money. More tone and sound you can ever need in your house. I struggle to use it on volume over 3 or 4 without upsetting people. Great rock effects. It's a valve amp too! all for less than £200. I would recomend to anyone.

Is that the Fender Super Champ XD or the Fender Champ 600?

Basically from the range of recommendations I see given around here and in other threads as well, it seems to me that any of these are decent buys, with no out and out winner. Or am I wrong here?
The champ probably sounds a little better but the Laney has reverb and 2 channels
Another vote for the Laney. I own one and can play anything on it (well, with the help of pedals for high gain). You won't regret the purchase.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Eladamri
Tiny Terror. Little bit more than you want to pay, because you'll need a cab. But I was playing about with one today and it's awesome.

it isn't a little bit more. its a lot more. even if you go on ebay and wait for a great deal you're looking at £300 for the head and cab, and probably more.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Another vote for the Laney VC15.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by CFHguitar
Line 6 Spider III

everywhere i see you on these forums, you're advertising spiders.
nobodys going to listen to you so give it up. i really dont want your stupid ass to invoke someone on the biggest mistake of their life.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
everywhere i see you on these forums, you're advertising spiders.
nobodys going to listen to you so give it up. i really dont want your stupid ass to invoke someone on the biggest mistake of their life.

Biggest mistake?
Imagine it. You're on your death bed, the priest comes to you, your family are gathered round and you say "I've done a lot of bad things in my life, robbery, murder, attempted genocide, but the one thing I really regret . . . . . . . is buying a shitty ass Spider 3. Goddamn they suck!" **Dies**
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
what about the blackhearts? a new 15W is coming out and from what ive heard they sound awesome.
Is that http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/ a reputable site? They have the Laney on there for far cheaper than anywhere else I can find, but I've never heard of them before.

I've heard a lot of positive about the Blackhearts, seemingly quite good distortion on it. Keep in mind I'm gonna be using a big muff with the amp, I need it to be able to handle that as well as providing rich, warm cleans. Does noone really rate the Epi Valve Standard then? That was what I was looking at most prior to this thread (the Harley Benton version of it).
^ I bought the exact same Laney from there, they pack well and the delivery is fast
Quote by Eladamri
Tiny Terror. Little bit more than you want to pay, because you'll need a cab. But I was playing about with one today and it's awesome.

tiny terror all the way man
Quote by prsdave

If this is the Super Champ XD, I agree completely, I love mine for a bedroom amp that sounds great and is very versatile yet can still be loud enough to play with a band.
Quote by mihnead01
How about the new Marshall MG15FX?Do you think it`s a good amp?

Dear god no.
Quote by Horlicks
The champ probably sounds a little better but the Laney has reverb and 2 channels

The super champ XD has 17 'channels', reverb, vibrato, chorus, delay and tremelo. Though it also is only half tube, (IC preamp with tube power circuit). I love the way mine sounds, many of the voices sound good, a few of them great.

Here is an edited version of an answer I gave in another thread about this amp.

It has plenty of gain with no pedal. It has a couple really high gain settings, and they sound pretty good. One of them is a high gain marshall voice that sounds remarkably close to what my Marshall 1987 JMP 50 with an OD pedal sounds like, keeping in mind that it is a 10 inch speaker rather than a 4x12 cab.

The different voices can reach any sound from clean, blues, rock, classic rock, etc. It's really high gain nu-metal sounds are a bit lacking, mostly due to the speaker imho. Many people swear by updating the speaker to an Eminence Ragin Cajun to help with this. It does a pretty decent job with most of the blues/med dirt voices that you get a great range of sounds with the volume knob on your guitar for barely breaking cleans through bluesy dirty all with the volume knob.

The built-in reverb/chorus/delay/trem/vibrato effects are all as nice sounding as most pedals I have heard, just not nearly as adjustible. They have a few different styles of each with a couple of mixes that you can dial in the amount of effect vs. clean sound. Good basic effects, the reverb is similar to digital pedals that I have heard, overall has a nice effect, same with the delay. The trem and vibrato are also nice sounding, just only one of three speeds for each. The chorus is OK I guess, but I don't like chorus anyhow.

I would recommend this amp to anyone looking for a practice and/or play with friends amp. It sounds good at low volumes and can play loud enough to play in a band with a drummer and still sound great.