My friend asked me this question earlier and i didn't have a clue since i haven't done physics in like two years and my knowledge isn't great enough, so i thought i would ask the brain boxes of The Pit. No doubt the answer will be relatively simple.

Well you know the game Portal were you create two portals and and the first one leads you to the second one.

Well i was asked this.

If one portal was in the ceiling and one was in the floor would you keep accelerating as you fell?

(Damn i wish i had kept on Physics its so fascinating)
yes, until you hit terminal velocity. This is basic stuff
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
If you mean getting faster and faster, then you would reach a terminal velocity and remain at a constant(ish) speed. You would totally get stuck in a Portal-Warp though That's some deep shit.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by GooseMcShred
yes, until you hit terminal velocity. This is basic stuff

Like i don't even know what that is. I only have a GCSE in Physics...
Quote by str84ever

It's simply when you stop accelerating when the force of gravity equals the amount of drag.
Last edited by Revelations at Apr 24, 2008,
terminal velocity is when gravity and drag are acting equally, so gravity can't pull you down any faster because you have attained enough drag.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
whats been said above youll reach a constant speed and not stop until something slowed you if that is possible.
terminal velocity for an average human body is about 120mph. it takes about 15 seconds to reach it in earth's gravity. assuming that the aperture science lab is indeed on this planet, you would stop accelerating after about 15 seconds, reaching a speed of 120mph. which means you would probably die when you exited the portal. which thankfully doesn't happen in the game
Basically I would try to grab onto the floor because once you hit terminal velocity it's no longer any fun.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Yeah but if you grabbed onto the floor, you would be travelling at 120mph. so you woul smash you arm./hands to pieces. It would be the same as jumping off the Empire state, or out a plane - except you would only really be continuously warping back and forth in a small room or whatever lol.

Now thats a head ****

I want a portal gun
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Quote by str84ever

but that's key stage 3 stuff...

anyway you'd hit terminal velocity
Quote by str84ever

but terminal velocity IS covered by GCSE physics

in fact, i'm fairly sure i did it in year nine.

oh well.

if i could make portals, i would make sure not to do that, i think.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
For the record, not everyone lives in the UK and therefore a large proportion of us have no fucking idea what a GCSE is!!

Also, this question has nothing to do with time.

Thirdly, since the only portals which exist are black holes, then you would get sucked into the Event Horizon and stay there forever.

If you're talking worm holes, then I suppose you would accelerate indefinitely, but as you approached light speed you would accelerate at a slower and slower rate.

It would be a function of acceleration squared or x^4. That gets into calculus.

The decrease in your acceleration would be linear wrt, your acceleration would be a "J" curve, essentially linear until >~99% of c (light speed) and would then taper off, approaching zero but never reaching it.

Your velocity would increase fairly steadily until 98%-99% of c and would then increase less and less per unity time until you were only accelerating by .000000001 m/s^2 and then .00000000000000000001 and so on.

So there would be a practically constant speed reached (I'm not sure a velocity even applies at this point, with a direction implied by a vector), but it would only be effectively constant. It would continue to increase, but by less and less every second, until it would take 1 billion years to increase measurably, then 2 billion, 4 billion, 8 billion...64 billion...1024 billion....etc.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Apr 24, 2008,
Correction: make that an "S" curve, inverted.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
For the record, not everyone lives in the UK and therefore a large proportion of us have no fucking idea what a GCSE is!!

Also, this question has nothing to do with time.

Thirdly, since the only portals which exist are black holes, then you would get sucked into the Event Horizon and stay there forever.

If you're talking worm holes, then I suppose you would accelerate indefinitely, but as you approached light speed you would accelerate at a slower and slower rate.

It would be a function of acceleration squared or x^4. That gets into calculus.

The decrease in your acceleration would be linear wrt, your acceleration would be a "J" curve, essentially linear until >~99% of c (light speed) and would then taper off, approaching zero but never reaching it.

Your velocity would increase fairly steadily until 98%-99% of c and would then increase less and less per unity time until you were only accelerating by .000000001 m/s^2 and then .00000000000000000001 and so on.

So there would be a practically constant speed reached (I'm not sure a velocity even applies at this point, with a direction implied by a vector), but it would only be effectively constant. It would continue to increase, but by less and less every second, until it would take 1 billion years to increase measurably, then 2 billion, 4 billion, 8 billion...64 billion...1024 billion....etc.

sounds br00tal
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by esther_mouse

in fact, i'm fairly sure i did it in year nine.

oh well.

if i could make portals, i would make sure not to do that, i think.

Yeah in your exam board.

I wasn't taught anything to do with gravity and only thing i was taught about motion was the equations of motion

all that v = u + at stuff and how to draw graphs of it and maybe a bit about friction.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

What would happen if you entered the first portal at the speed of light? : o
Quote by maell
What would happen if you entered the first portal at the speed of light? : o

Impossible.