now, ive been practicing constently for a bout 7 or 8 months and ive been playing for over two years, but just now got the motivation to get better. well ive seen alot of improvement in multiple areas of my playing, and can tell ive gotten alot better, but im at a stand still. i havent really improved much for awhile. im not really that fast at playing and i cant tremelo pick extremely fast, maybe 150-200 bpm but thats it. and no matter how much i practice i dont get any better or faster. i play with the least amount of tension possible and i pay close attention to this. also my sound control when i play lead or play on multiple strings is not very good at all, any suggestions to what i could do to help this problem? anything i should do in my practice or just while im playing, thanx
Quote by SA215OL
. im not really that fast at playing and i cant tremelo pick extremely fast, maybe 150-200 bpm but thats it. and no matter how much i practice i dont get any better or faster.

im assuming quarter notes at 180 ish is probably where you really are. the main cause for not playing "faster" is tension. but remember speed is just speed if you can't make it sound good. a thousand miles an hour of crap still sounds like crap.
Quote by SA215OL
. i play with the least amount of tension possible and i pay close attention to this.

well everyone says this. you may very well be playing with little or no tension, but i've found tension is generally the reason people don't play "faster" let me ask this. can you play "fast" for an hour STRAIGHT without your hand really getting sore or tired? cuz if so then i'd be likely to agree you are probably playing without tension. the only other advice i can give is "MOVE YOUR D@MN HAND FASTER"

do not try to play the guitar, that will never work. simply realize, there is no guitar

Quote by SA215OL
. also my sound control when i play lead or play on multiple strings is not very good at all, any suggestions to what i could do to help this problem?
i'm not sure exactly what you mean by "sound control" if it's dynamics or note selection then really the best thing you can do is practice and improv to EVERYTHING. i play metal, but i'll turn on a country, hip hop, techno, jazz or any other station and play along. it opens up your mind to the possibility.

now if by sound control you mean notes are "squelched" as i call it, chances are your right hand is moving faster than your left hand. in which case you need to slow down until everything you're playing is clean. hope this helped.
wat i mean by sound control is probably noise control, like if i play lead or something and i move from the 2nd string to the 3rd string, you can hear the second string still making noise, and i try to mute the strings with my right hand, but then it sounds like im palm muting the string im playing and i dont want that
I suggest not focusing on your technical ability or learning to play fast and instead harness your creativity. Learn how to play in various keys using various scales. Rip out some improvised solos over your favorite backing tracks. This can provide not only great practice, but you can get a lot of great ideas and feed your creativity on the guitar.
i was there for a while, take one day a week to just write what you know is in your ability, this led me to gaining right hand speed by thinking up riffs away from the guitar and just swiping a pick over a safety pick on my shirt to a rhythm. and mute the high strings with your left hand, low with you right

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200