ok, im tuning my new guitar with a electric tuner , so ill tune a note perfectly , ill tune another, and when i replay the first note it syas its out again? is this normal? also on songs it say things like tuning:half a step down from c, does this mean everytime i play a different song ill need to re tune it?!

thanks-dinatale
When a string is in tune, it's at perfect tension. Then when you tighten the next string it releases some of the tension on the previous string making it slightly flat.

If you just keep retuning them, once they're all near enough in tune, when you make small adjustments to a string, it shouldn't affect the others.

Hope this makes sense.
the problem your having happens when you have a floating bridge, i dont know what kind of guitar you have, but it might have that kind of bridge, and you just have to deal with it. learn to tune to the other strings and not a tuner, it makes things so much easier. and i'm assuming your playing some really heavy music, where bands tune down. half step down from C means a seven string basically, or a low b string. most artists stay in the same tuning, but obviously that will vary from artist to artist. most normal music is in standard tuning though
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by Mr E
When a string is in tune, it's at perfect tension. Then when you tighten the next string it releases some of the tension on the previous string making it slightly flat.

If you just keep retuning them, once they're all near enough in tune, when you make small adjustments to a string, it shouldn't affect the others.

Hope this makes sense.

oh, so i just gotta keep retuning them until they stay the same? and thanks rage for your help
Last edited by dinatale at Apr 24, 2008,
Remamber that your guitar is made of wood, and the strings of steel.
Both materials are dynamic. You know... New strings will strech if put under tension. So you put more tension on the, so the strech.. until a balance is reached, and you can tune your guitar easely. Low quality strings can be hard to tune - Personally i use Earnie Ball, medium price good quality !

The neck can bend strongly to. If you have put heavier or ligther strings on. The nech will bend, or relax. Guitarnecks are built to have the pull of the strings on it. Therefor it can not be recomended to have you guitar without string for longer time, because the neck will straigthen out over time....

Så basically, its a normal problem you have. But if it continues, take the guitar to a technican, or demand to get i fixed by the guy who sold it to you if its brand new
Quote by dinatale
does this mean everytime i play a different song ill need to re tune it?!

thanks-dinatale

that depends of the tuning of the song