Here's a long-forgotten and perhaps slightly obscure gem - the guitar soundtrack to Psygnosis' Formula 1 game from '96. The original artist is listed as someone called Overdrive, who probably has a name buried somewhere within the credits. I ripped it all at MP3 VBR-0, so it's the best quality possible if anyone wants to burn CDs. Great driving music, so check it out!

Next we have Formula 1 97. The first 6 tracks were written by Andy Blythe and Marten Joustra, with guitars performed by Colin Anderson and Andy Dawson. The last 6 were written by PC Music Ltd, with guitars by Stu Ellis and Tim Browne. Bear in mind that tracks 1-6 are guitar-based stuff and the rest are more techno-ish and have no guitar.

Nearly done. Here is Psygnosis' Newman Haas Racing from '98. This time the artist/guitarist is totally unknown (I don't think even the in-game credits list him anywhere), and the music is far less exciting than Formula 1 IMO, but still very enjoyable...

To finish up, this folder contains the 2 menu tracks from MicroProse/Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 from '96. They're really nothing more than your elementary guitar noodling over a repetitive drum track, but they're still cool to nod your head to!

Last edited by DaFjory at Jun 19, 2011,
I can't download from rapidshare
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
just downloaded it from the megaupload link.

sounds good so far.

thanks for the upload.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Found it, nae; owned it, yae. Basically they're games that I've had for years, and I'm a big soundtrack freak so really the first thing I noticed about them was their guitar soundtrack – rather than the racing aspect.

I'll have Newman Haas Racing and a couple of tracks from Grand Prix 2 uploaded later today. They rock.
It's so nice to find someone who is as excited by these soundtracks as I am. I have a question to the original poster : how did you rip the F1 97 soundtrack, because I think I remember that the tracks from that game could not be played on a stereo (or ripped on a PC). And I'd appreciate if you could post indeed the name of the artist(s), as I'm not sure if the same people did the music from Formula One and F1 97.

Nevertheless, the soundtrack to Formula One was so amazing that I bought the four subsequent releases (unaware that BIzarre Creations was no longer behind the project) only in the hope of reliving such a great listening experience... all but in vain. So everyone check it out, because gem is a word fit to describe it indeed.
Wow, this is old stuff. I almost forgot I posted those. Glad they're still online.

The way I ripped the Formula 1 97 tracks was using the prog, which allows you to rip audio and video from any PS1 game. I first ripped the tracks as pure WAV files, then compressed those using LAME 3.97 at VBR-0 quality. That's how they sound so good. And yes, I too noticed that you couldn't play them using a CD player or on a PC.

As for the artists, according to the game manual there were two sets of performers for both halves of the soundtrack - the first 6 tracks were composed by Andy Blythe and Marten Joustra, with guitars performed by Colin Anderson and Andy Dawson; the remaining 6 tracks were composed by PC Music Ltd, with guitars performed by Stu Ellis and Tim Browne.

And I was also disappointed by the subsequent releases (Formula 1 98 and Formula One 1 99). The games, and soundtrack, all paled in comparison to the first 2 masterpieces by Bizarre Creations.
Quote by alexikiki
It's so nice to find someone who is as excited by these soundtracks as I am. I have a question to the original poster : how did you rip the F1 97 soundtrack, because I think I remember that ...

Thanks for the bump! I wouldn't have found these if it wasn't for you
Perhaps interesting to note that, on the Formula 1 soundtrack, there's a song called Vai-lent Vengeance. (In the game, the song Juice by our dear lord Vai happens to be part of the soundtrack as well.)
Thanks for the upload, this is a great game, and the soundtrack to it was awesome too. I have the original CD, but it's so badly scratched that a few songs didn't rip properly. The band did an incredible job. Does anyone know if they published anything else?

I'd definitely buy their material. That riff in Flat Out is just incredible.
Were any of these the ones with Joe Satriani - Back to Shalla Bal as the menu music?

actually google says that was the 1995 Formula 1 game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhAorFy2RK8

works really well

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Last edited by Blayney at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by Blayney

And that, right there, is exactly how I discovered Satriani and the entire instrumental rock genre, in the summer of '98.

Sooooooooooooooo many memories...
Awesome mate. I hadn't heard of him at the time, even though my father had a bunch of Satch CD's in his cabinet haha

Remember coming across Shalla Ball about 8 years ago and doing a double take "holy shit! that's formula 1 '95!"

Quote by Blayney
Remember coming across Shalla Ball about 8 years ago and doing a double take "holy shit! that's formula 1 '95!"

I often refer to the song as "Formula 1 '95" as well, especially when recommending it to people (it's still my favourite song of all time, by any artist in any genre). They don't react much if I call it Back To Shalla-Bal, but they immediately perk up if I say it's "the F1 song". Most people my age or even slightly younger will have played that game on PS1 at some point, what with it being the first truly great F1 game on a console. Almost every PS1 owner at the time seemed to have it!

Someone should do a highlight video of the '95 season with that song playing...
I played it loads. Hell I went back and played it recently, it was better than F1 2010!

omg major nostalgia . It was a chance encounter with this game that got me into F1. little did i appreciate the music at the time. Great game great soundtrack. And the tyre wear was more realistic that f1 2010!!!
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
First posts edited with pics the games' covers, so now it's easier for new discoverers to know what games I'm talking about.

I had the exact same experience with Hot Wheels on PS1 and Metallica's Fuel.