I have a small Marshall amp, I happened to mention that this amp has a couple knobs on it for Bass and Treble, but nothing for Mid range.

Someone posted a comment saying:

"the countour is a mid knob turned backwards
just a littl advice
countour to midrange laws =
countour 10 = mid 0
and vise versa"

I really don't think this is true.
It seems to my hears, that when it is set to 10, the picking is clear.
And at zero, it just sounds like muddy mush.
To me, that does not seem like a mid range control.

Is this guy BSing me?
i dont think so i thought it was a mid, on my old mg10cd its all i had for tone so it could be what the guy said
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
The contour does scoop a lot of the mids from the tone of the amp (I've had about 2 years of cocking about with an MG50, so know how the thing works ), and I find a similar effect. With the contour up, you do need to turn your volume up a bit to compensate. for the loss of volume, and tbh it does help with the sound as well, and blasts a lot of the mud off it. All it's good for is an instant metal tone, nothing more.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
that description sounds like inverse mids to me...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Contour chooses where the built-in scoop is, not how much there is.

Ergo turning the knob to the right will make the scoop more in the upper minds, and the left makes it more of a lower mid scoop.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though... I feel kinda tired.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
that also might be possible... that's how it works on amps which have separate mid and contour knobs/buttons... (i think, anyway)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So inconclusion, that guy wasn't just feeding me a line of poop.
It isn't 100%, but the more detailed descriptions you guys have giving me are making it a lot more clear for me to understand what that knob is really doing.

Woo hoo. I learned something!

Thanks dudes.