Poll: Do you think it is sometimes necessary to hit your kids?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think it is sometimes necessary to hit your kids?
yes, sometimes it is inevitable and it teaches respect
475 68%
no, it is unacceptable under any circumstance
219 32%
Voters: 694.
Page 1 of 14
I just had a debate in my Finnish class today about child abuse.

In my opinion, if a child doesn't do as he is told, then the parent can hit the child, not extremely hard, but a slap to the side of the head or like in my case, getting hit on the back of the leg.

According to most of my classmates any kind of violence isn't justifiable and the parents should get punished.

I just wanted to know what UG thinks about this.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
You can hit your child and wife for the matter all you want. Just make sure to train them to say things like "I ran into a wall" or "I fell down the stairs".
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
100% for it.
Youth today is a joke.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I agree with you. It's those parents that beat there kids with a pillowcase full of cinderblocks that mess their kids up. I wouldn't take it father than a spanking.
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
Quote by dannyniceboy
You can hit your child and wife for the matter all you want. Just make sure to train them to say things like "I ran into a wall" or "I fell down the stairs".

Seriously though, i don't think any voilence is allowed, sure, there has to be some sort of discipline, but seriously, violence isn't the way to go. Even small slaps can affect children in ways that'll effect the way they are 10-20 years later.

My opinion, no.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

thats great. because it's not healthy for a child to explore and test limits because it's natural for them to do so... /sarcasm
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Quote by Yngwi3
100% for it.
Youth today is a joke.

I got spanked all the time when I was kid, probably up until 4th grade or so. It instills discipline and respect into the child.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
spanking and any other form of discipline is essential. that's what i believe. my father would do this, but never go to far to raise us to be disciplined. i hate it when kids go "oh my god my parents beat me i'm calling the police" only when it's disciplinary not like drunkeness or some ****
Quote by darkstar2466
I got spanked all the time when I was kid, probably up until 4th grade or so. It instills discipline and respect into the child.

Exactly. That's why I'm for it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Spanking is fine. I wouldn't hit my children in any visible places because you have all those nosy teachers and such that'll call child services on me :P But yeah. You look at kids nowadays and you can probably point out the ones that never got physically disciplined.
if you can bring up a child well you shouldnt have to spank it. hitting someone isnt a very good way to make them learn, so i say no its not ok to beat your kids
My dad hit me when I would act out or did something wrong, he never did it out of anger and im a better person because of it. I cant tell you how many times people have come up to complement my parents on how well behaved their 3 boys were. Don't medicate, just take off your belt.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
If the child is a little sod all the time, then go for it. Might prevent them from being a douche all their life. But if you're violent for minimal reasons, you shouldnt have kids
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I was never hit and I turned out fine.

I seen kids at school who were 'physically educated' and they always seemed to be the ones that started fights, bullied people, etc.

Not every case is like this, obviously.
There are other ways to discipline children. If you punish the child by physical punishment they grow up thinking thats the norm and they may end up doing it to other people (not spanking ) but physical violence.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Yea I use to get the ol' spankings and what not and it was probably for the best. I can't believe how much disrespect some young people have for adults now a day.

I distinctly remember some pretty bad ones too, yet it affects me in no way today (im 19).
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

When I was wee and did something wrong, i would get smacked. It worked as a deterent

Mum - "Wait till your dad get's home"
Me - "uh-oh" etc

Children need rules, and the enforcement of rules, and if that means a skelp if they do something wrong then so be it. It's the parents who actually abuse their children that should get punished, not the parents who want to discipline their children and turn then into decent human beings, not like the wee neds nowadays.
getting smacked didnt do anything to me at all and my sister gets away with everything...she never gets hit or punished, it's just not fair:| hitting ur kids doesnt really help at all
I think it's alright.... as long as it is never done out of anger and is only reserved for the worst behaviour
I got hit the odd time and it never really done me any major harm so I dont see a problem in it, I think also as the child isnt abused then its fine
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by redneck516
My dad hit me when I would act out or did something wrong, he never did it out of anger and im a better person because of it. I cant tell you how many times people have come up to complement my parents on how well behaved their 3 boys were. Don't medicate, just take off your belt.

Completely agree =]
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
hey
i got hit
as long as its not with intent to injure the child,just to discipline them,its fine
theirs a difference between discipline and abuse.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
I wouldn't beat mine, maybe a spanking or something is in order if they keep acting up after a thorough speak.

Cool, Finnish!

Oletko hyvä puhumaan suomea? Italia on hieno paikka, olen käynyt Roomassa ja Napolissa.
Kids today (in England anyway) have no respect for anyone, surely if you beat them they begin to see who has the most power and will eventually begin to respect their elders

what do you say to a child with two black eyes?

nothing, you have already told them twice :P
Jesus christ I never knew how many people accually thought this was ok. I thought everybody was being sarcastic at first. If you are a good parent you don't (have to) hit your kid. Man, why would they learn better if they get punished physically.
Why would you hit a child? If they are being an asshole it probably is your fault.
I am actually not Finnish, I try to learn it at school but after 3 years I'm still at Moi, mitä kuuluu?

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by MrTin
Jesus christ I never knew how many people accually thought this was ok. I thought everybody was being sarcastic at first. If you are a good parent you don't (have to) hit your kid. Man, why would they learn better if they get punished physically.
Why would you hit a child? If they are being an asshole it probably is your fault.

I take it you were never a kid before?
Quote by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

dakota fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
Quote by MrTin

Well, it isn't the best way to teaching a kid a lesson, but it sure as hell is the easiest.

I kid, I kid. You can't raise a proper dog by beating it and shouting at it when it does something wrong, so how would it work on people? Of course there are better ways.
^that use to spark so much fear into me

mom "Wait til your dad gets home :-("
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Child discipline does not integrate well with North American (or westernized) cultures. They almost always turn out to be stupid, lazy, and failures in general.

It can work well in European nations where the culture is still at a traditional standard, but you can forget about it here.
Quote by farfaraway
I was never hit and I turned out fine.

I seen kids at school who were 'physically educated' and they always seemed to be the ones that started fights, bullied people, etc.

Not every case is like this, obviously.

Same for me, my parents never touched me. And I think that kids do what the grown-ups do, if they get beaten, they beat others aswell.
They need to be.

I wasn't too much as a child, but enough to be put in line. If you don't, the kids wont know any boundries and that leads to problems.

I'm not saying to hit them with a crow bar, but some won't hurt.

This also needs to be combined with other methods, because just hitting the child won't help things at all, odds are they'll just make it worse.

It's a balance.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me