My guitar teacher has a Z.Vex Super Hard On, which I thought really tightened his amp sound and certainly gave him a more gainy(word?) sound
I was wondering what differences between a preamp/booster pedal and a compression pedal? and are there any booster or compression pedals that might be worth a look? i guess nothing more than £150 ($300)
cheers in advance!
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Schecter C-1 SheDevil - might sell for a strat
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

WANT: boost of some sort
A booster just boosts your signal, but a compressor boosts the weaker sounds but compresses the louder sounds
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by randomcomicboy
My guitar teacher has a Z.Vex Super Hard On

, im sorry...
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
Coming from the guy with a Tone Blaster...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
is there a difference between signal and sound?
a bit new the game, that's all
thanks for the quick reply
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

Quote by say5ss2
, im sorry...

fair play
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

Quote by blair30
I dont think you got the joke

Nope, I didn't get the joke with the word hard on...

Children.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by randomcomicboy
is there a difference between signal and sound?
a bit new the game, that's all
thanks for the quick reply

The signal is the "message" that goes in the cables, the sound is what comes out of the speakers after it's been amplified by the amp.

Edit:
Quote by Slaytanic1993
hard on

o lololol he said teh h-o word1!
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
oh stop being a f*cking killjoy, no one ever looks mature on the internet.
Especially slayer fans that play 7-string guitars.

Compressor keeps everything at about the same volume. Its good if you're switching between chord work and lead playing a lot. A booster wacks up the volume, basically, so that you're overdrive (on your amp) works harder (hence more gain) and your solos sound a bit more prominent than the rest of the song.
Quote by conceptne
Compressor keeps everything at about the same volume. Its good if you're switching between chord work and lead playing a lot. A booster wacks up the volume, basically, so that you're overdrive (on your amp) works harder (hence more gain) and your solos sound a bit more prominent than the rest of the song.

ahh I see, so if I wanted more gain at a higher volume then the booster would be the better choice?

what about on the cleans, do they both tighten the sound of each note, or are they different in this way?
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

if you use boost in clean then it'll sound louder. So if you're jamming around and its your turn to take the lead you could smack down on it then to bring your guitar above everything else. If you used compressor it would mean everything would sound dead even BUT if you went for like a dead loud chord (on the first beat of the bar, say) followed by a lot of quiter ones it would lose its effect.

Basically:
::Compressor to clean up you're playing and make it all sound tight. If you were producing a guitar track you;d have as much compression as it could take without losing the soul of the piece so that it sounded goood on a hi-fi.
::Booster if you want your solos, clean or dirty, to have a bit more punch.

Personally, i think you can sound better by practicing and playing with discpline than taking the cowards way out and using a compressor. A booster, on the other hand, is good if everythings getting a bit frantic and you dont reckon your solos going to be heard over the slap-bass and singer's howls.
Quote by conceptne
Personally, i think you can sound better by practicing and playing with discpline than taking the cowards way out and using a compressor.

I totally agree, i just stumbled across some compressors and didn't really understand how they differed from a boost.

would the boost still tighten up cleans a little then?
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

not really, its still gna sound exactly how you play it, just louder. If you want to tighten up a cleans the best thing you can do is use a noisegate with a low threshhold, a humbucker bridge pick up and EQ like this

High 7
Mid 4
Low 6
Quote by conceptne
EQ like this

High 7
Mid 4
Low 6

thats gonna be a bit of a job for my TT... haha, darn you simplicity
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

Personally, i think you can sound better by practicing and playing with discpline than taking the cowards way out and using a compressor.

You cannot mimic the effects of a compressor by playing with "discpline"
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'd disagree. The point, if not the function of a compressor, is to ensure that everything you play is at a similair level. It is easy to do this if you play with a bit of finesse and balance between picking and strumming.