Hey,

I remember reading somewhere that the back panel of a cab acts as a soundboard (akin to an acoustic guitar) and that replacing the stock board with something better will help the tone?

Is this true?

How much difference would it make to replace with plyboard / real wood ?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I've heard about that too, but I think it's mainly with the newer Marshall cabs or ones built like them. They come with a particle board back panel, so you can replace it with a real wood ply or hardwood to get better sound and projection.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I have a marshall cab, not sure what the back panel is made from. Can't be arsed unscrewing all those screws Might be worth doing down the line, I guess.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
depends on the cab. i think the older 1960 4x12's are all ply, but i might be wrong. I had one apart at work the other day, but i was more concerned by the fact the speakers were needing replaced.

anyway, i think marshall uses different materials for some of the cabs, meaning that sometimes ts worth replacing it, but usually not.

edit: and you're right - theres more screws that you think at first. its like someones putting them back in after you take them out and move on to the next one!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by AndyPandy

edit: and you're right - theres more screws that you think at first. its like someones putting them back in after you take them out and move on to the next one!

Yeah, don't try it without an electric screwdriver or you won't be playing the guitar for a few hours due to cramps
Also, Bogner (who makes the best cabs out there) puts some kind of isolation material on the back panel. I don't know what kind of wood they use tho.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower