hey guys i recently joined band and we need to start writing our own material. heres the thing.. im not sure how to write good riffs.. stuff like breaking benjamin, shinedown, seether, RATM, etc. i know how to use keys and the notes in hte keys(circle of fifths, etc) but i dont really know how to come up with some great material. can you guys help me out? just some pointers/ideas that you get when you first started? anything would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance!
Quote by guitar033
hey guys i recently joined band and we need to start writing our own material. heres the thing.. im not sure how to write good riffs.. stuff like breaking benjamin, shinedown, seether, RATM, etc. i know how to use keys and the notes in hte keys(circle of fifths, etc) but i dont really know how to come up with some great material. can you guys help me out? just some pointers/ideas that you get when you first started? anything would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance!

use your ears, be creative. There is no particular way to "write good riffs". You just have to pick up your guitar and see what you can come up with.

If you already know a bunch of songs (which you should), then you have plenty of examples of "good riffs". if you know theory as you mentioned, then you have plenty to work with. Now its just up to your own creativity.
::Learn scales. Start with the pentatonics.
::Listen to a range of music and pay attention to stuff that you like.
::Learn songs by bands you're trying to emulate. Work out why their riffs work.
::"Noodle" on your guitar. That is, play, without any particular regard for what comes out, until you find something you like. (Best done with just a hint of distortion if you;re going for seether etc, but nothing more, otherwise you won't be able to tell whats good and whats bad)
How do those bands write their songs (structure/feel/etc.)? What kind of chords do they use? What kind of progressions do they use? What about keys?...or scales?

Mess around with the types of things like that and come up with your own riffs, play a couple covers of their songs and maybe get a couple of licks out of them and get the experience of playing like them, and keep listening to the music.

It will all get in your head and you'll be writing like them in no time.

I know a bunch of metallica songs and i have a habit of getting into kirk hammett type solos(which isn't that bad of thing) but yeah it sticks with you if you try (just takes a little work).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
don't get discouraged either, everyone goes through phases where they can't write any riffs (well at least anything appealing to themselves)
keep practicing and it will come