I had 0 knowledge on bass 2 weeks ago, I didn't even knew what a bass was O_o
I researched alot and I decided I wanted to start playing bass.

Budget wise I'm quite undefined probably up to 500€.

I was thinking on Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and a Roland Micro Cube Bass RX.

I just need opinions on wether these might be good choices or not. In terms of music style I'd like to be able to able stuff around Arctic Monkeys, Muse, SOAD, Gorillaz and everything I find nice (probably any genre) and that's why I chose the jazz bass(for the versatility, or so I read) would a precision bass be better?
About the amp i found very little information besides the FAQ wich shows some amps but not in much depth and variety.

And about trying it out myself I don't think it would work because: 1- I don't know ANYTHING about the actual playing (besides the bunch of covers I've seen) and 2- Here in Portugal it seems quite a strange pratice to let costumers play.

Thank you for reading and any help is apreciated.
The micro amp is more a portable gimmick than a starter/practice amp. Get yourself something with at least 15 watts like a Warwick blue cab or a fender rumble. Bass wise I suggest you pay a bit more than you actually have (~400-500$) because you will get something good for your money, those cheap squiers wont satisfy you long... A mexico standard Precision Bass or the more heavy Peavy Grindbass would do you good.
it really doesn't matter that much what bass you first buy as long as it isn't a total piece of ****. honestly if you want to play muse you might have a hard time cause there's a lot of stuff chris W does that a beginner will never be able to do (no offense). but a couple of easy songs to start with are plug in baby, feeling good, and supermassive
Thanks for your replies.

@EyeHatePunks state some arguments, that's what I realy want to know, the why. Why is Cube a gimmick? Why would the rumble be better? I've seen the rumble refered to as: Average.

@afratmdk I'm not gonna pick up the bass for first time and play Hysteria at once, would be very cool thou xD
@afratmdk I'm not gonna pick up the bass for first time and play Hysteria at once, would be very cool thou xD

i've been playing for five ****ing years and it still took me like 5 days to get the song down pat!!
Quote by Dreamflow

Anyone has some insight on the Micro Cube? I can't evaluate tone and sound but it has some cool extras: ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/Videos/MicroCubeBass_RX/videos.html

And about the bass a Jazz or a Precision, wich would be more suited?

A better idea would be to at least hold them, and see which neck you prefer. Jazzes have more tonal flexability, but the tone of the precision fits every genre. Go by the neck shape you prefer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The cube is too small, plain and simple. A bass has to have a much more powerful amp than a guitar, and 5 watts is tiny even for a guitar amp. Look at the other amps in the same price range here

That Cube does have a bigger brother, btw. The cube 30 is only a lottle more expensive, and has 6 times the power, plus all the same effects. It will be better to practice on and sound better, and it's big enough for small gigs with a PA system.
Nope, no sig here.
Don't be lured by effects. I've been playing bass for a year and have never had a need for an effect of any kind. That said, I'd love to check out that 30 watter that Mutant Corn posted. From my guitar playing days, I trust Roland with solid state amplifiers. The Cube series are my favorite SS guitar amps. But $300 for 30 watts? Meh. You could get much better.

The Ashdown low watt stuff is awesome. I personally have the After Eight, but if I could do it again I'd get the Perfect 10, which has more watts and a 10 inch speaker. You could even get the Five Fifteen for just $10 more than the cost of the Microcube RX.

As far as a bass: The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is completely awesome. I can't believe no one has commented on it yet, it's a popular bass. It's the best bass I've played under $500, and I've played a ton of them in my searches for a good cheap bass.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

^The problem with Squiers is that quality control isn't at it's best, you can get a wonderful instrument or a crap instrument, depending on... well randomness :/ . In general however Squier jazz basses are alright for at least your first year.

Ditch the microcube, unless you're not planning on playing to anyone, at all. You It's a lot of money for 5 watts
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Dreamflow
I had 0 knowledge on bass 2 weeks ago, I didn't even knew what a bass was O_o
I researched alot and I decided I wanted to start playing bass.

Budget wise I'm quite undefined probably up to 500€.

I was thinking on Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and a Roland Micro Cube Bass RX.

I just need opinions on wether these might be good choices or not. In terms of music style I'd like to be able to able stuff around Arctic Monkeys, Muse, SOAD, Gorillaz and everything I find nice (probably any genre) and that's why I chose the jazz bass(for the versatility, or so I read) would a precision bass be better?
About the amp i found very little information besides the FAQ wich shows some amps but not in much depth and variety.

And about trying it out myself I don't think it would work because: 1- I don't know ANYTHING about the actual playing (besides the bunch of covers I've seen) and 2- Here in Portugal it seems quite a strange pratice to let costumers play.

Thank you for reading and any help is apreciated.

GTFO
the vintage modified series squiers are built pretty well. the vintage modified jazz is a great choice. for the price the little bass cube seems like a rip off. the ashdown perfect 10 combo would be a good choice. swr also makes some nice small combos. check around for used amps too, you can get alot more bang for your buck going used.
Last edited by Miss G at Apr 25, 2008,
^Ture that about second hand amps. If it works, it ain't broken. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Thanks for everyone replies again.

Delirium the Squiers Vintage Mod are on your FAQ ^^

Anyway I just need to choose between Jazz and Precision from S VM, wich has the best tone for those bands I stated on the first post?(I need a mark to start on)

And about the amp I'm just looking for something I can use to play at home and MAYBE play with some friends. I've been looking at the AD Perfect 10, Peavey MAX110 and Orange Crush 35B wich would be a good choice?
Quote by BobSlay
GTFO

Warned.

And to the TS, the VM series are quite nice, but Ben is right, try a bunch of starters before you land on one bass.

On the amps you've listed, I love the sound of the Orange Crush. Its a loud 35 Watts, btw, but some don't particularly like the tonal qualities of that amp, so if you can find one to try out before you buy, do so.
Let me do a 180º Turn on this thread, speacialy because anarkee and Delirium recomend me to start on starter packs and that gives me some questions:

-Why a starter pack? Wondering because I'm more inclined to something that comes with at least some quality.
-What starter packs to avoid? And wich are more recomended?
-Would buying bass + amp separate a wrong choice for a starter?
Last edited by Dreamflow at Apr 25, 2008,
Well, the question is, why spend 500e if you're a starter?

Perhaps you'll enjoy playing bass for a week or two and then decide it's not your old cup o' tea, and then you're stuck with all this relatively expensive gear. With a starter pack, you get the amp almost for free - and ofcourse, it will suck infinitely, but a starter can't play anyway so that doesn't really matter - and you get a bass that's good to learn on. Not good to gig with, probably, not good for in a studio, almost definitely, but those are not a starter's priorities.

- The ibanez starter pack (with the GSR190) is quite good, friend of mine has it. It's the same bass as the GSR180 I have but with somewhat better pickups. The amp in the package is actually alright, strap and tuner included I think, you'd just need a better cable because the one included sucks. Best feature of the Ibanez bass is the great neck.
- The Squier starter pack is ok too, the amp I haven't heard great things about (and I know for a fact that the *electric guitar* Squier starter pack amp really sucks), but you do get a bass that's not only instantly recognisable but, perhaps more importantly, does sound a bit better than the Ibanez (although still not great).
- Don't know about the Dean starter pack, but it's supposed to be ok. Their basses are average I think.
- I don't trust other starter packs :p

Ultimately, perhaps the best thing you could do is print out some online bass lessons, take them to the store and sit with the basses and the respective practice amps in some corner and learn the basics there, on the basses you're considering, and then decide which one you like best

Buying separate bass and amp is not per se a bad choice for a starter, but only if you're a serious starter - if you're sure to play bass the rest of your life, it's not all that bad to invest some more. Then, however, the question is when you will be upgrading again, because if you're going to buy something else again in a year you might just as well get something cheap now. Ohh the complications!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
the way I feel about starter packs, if you don't enjoy bass oh well you didnt spend that much. but you will have trouble selling it and wont get your moneys worth out of it. if you stick with bass GAS will attack and you wont enjoy your gear as much.

buying separate beginner gear like a squier vintage modified, if you stick with bass you will enjoy it for a while and even if you don't it would sell quick.

I really regret not getting a better amp when I started, now im stuck with one that isn't very good and wont sell once I get a new one.
born you have a point but Miss G pretty much explains my feeling about it...

I'm getting messed up now, need more input! ^^

and btw Miss G noticed you got a Squier VM P Bass how do you feel about it?
I'm with Miss G. I started a year ago, startign getting serious 4 months ago. I'm more than ready to join a band. All I have is and SX Jazz bass and a 15w amp though, because I didn't want to invest too much. Now, I'm getting a bigger bass amp and this 15 watter will sell, but only for like $50. And when I upgrade my bass, this SX will never sell. It'll just sit here. Which I don't mind too much, it's a workhorse of a bass. Anyways, good luck.
Ok, I decided not to go for Starter packs they seem to be quite weak and most of what comes with them breakes in the first few days.
I was looking for the Squier VM P-Bass in Europe but it seems no shop has one for sale

So atm my choices are:

-a Yamaha RBX374 and 210€ for an amp.

-A S VM J-Bass and 173€ for the amp.

And wich amp in each case?
Last edited by Dreamflow at Apr 26, 2008,
I don't know. I don't trust Yamaha on anything other than pianos. Not even their high-end basses
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by BobSlay
GTFO

Each to their own. Let him play what he likes and leave him alone
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Can I suggest looking at a Washburn starter pack?

It comes with a Nemesis amp, a fantastic one I believe.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Can I suggest looking at a Washburn starter pack?

It comes with a Nemesis amp, a fantastic one I believe.

There's little information about the bass, anyone knows anything?
I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my 2 cents.

Any "real" bass is, IMO, giggable. Your Squier Affinity is giggable. The First Act you buy from Walmart, however, is not. You see the distinction between the two.

As far as amps, many are not. The pack Chris posted is one that impresses me the most, because of the amp. The amp will do for some unplugged jams, and Nemesis is a good company. If you're going to stick with bass, don't be afraid to get a better amp. I'm not saying get an all tube SVT and matching 810, but perhaps a Bassman 150/250, Ashdown Mag, something like that.
Quote by Mutant Corn
has 6 times the power.

In order for one amplifier to reproduce sound twice as loud as another in Decibels you need 10 times more wattage.

Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
^The problem with Squiers is that quality control isn't at it's best, you can get a wonderful instrument or a crap instrument, depending on... well randomness :/ ./QUOTE]

with most squier the problem exist but not really a big deal
but VM serier are not made in china as most squiers, they are made in indonesia(at least the one i had seen and mine) and its quality si awesome, better than fender MIMs
even though they are made of agathis(wich most people think is uselles compared to alder)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400