hi,
does anybody know a brand that produces Rickenbacker Bass replicas (any model)?
I could save my money for 2 years, but in the end I think you also pay just a lot of money because it's Rickenbacker....
There is one under the name "Rockinsbetter" which is made by Tokai.

And you pay for what you get, chances are the replicas won't sound at all the same, I don't think they even use maple as the body wood so in the end you'll end up with something that looks like a Ric but sounds completely different.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ibanez made them back in the day. They're too hard to find and too expensive to bother with unless you're a collector. Your best bet is to save up for a Ric.
Quote by PrincessJoe
hi,
does anybody know a brand that produces Rickenbacker Bass replicas (any model)?
I could save my money for 2 years, but in the end I think you also pay just a lot of money because it's Rickenbacker....

That's WHY you pay the money, because it is a Rick... People pay more for an American Fender because of (the better electronics etc.) the fact that it is made in the USA. Also, when you save, it will feel more special to you due to the amount of time spent.

Also, Rick copies are hard to find...
Ric copies are very hard to find because Ric has some extremely aggressive lawyers. Ric does not license anyone to make copies and went after Tokai, Ibanez and the like with a vengeance a few decades back.

They do come up on Ebay and craigs list on occasion CreepingJesus has a Ric copy if I remember right.
Quote by anarkee
Ric copies are very hard to find because Ric has some extremely aggressive lawyers. Ric does not license anyone to make copies and went after Tokai, Ibanez and the like with a vengeance a few decades back.

They do come up on Ebay and craigs list on occasion CreepingJesus has a Ric copy if I remember right.

even at that, they're usually very expensive. almost the price of... rickenbackers.

I say save up and get the real thing.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
It's harder to find a Rickenbacker copy than a real Rickenbacker. REALLY.

Really, save up. Rics are some of the basses that cost what they are worth. You don't get a rip off and you don't get a deal of the year, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY.
Quote by UtBDan
even at that, they're usually very expensive. almost the price of... rickenbackers.
I say save up and get the real thing.

Very good point Dan.

The escalation the prices on "vintage" Tokai guitars and basses blows me away. I just made myself rather sick by looking up the average price now on a Gibson LP Tokai clone I bought for next to nothing when I was in high school. If I hadn't traded it in years ago, I could sell it now and buy that Urge II with cash to spare!!
You don't pay extra money "because it's a Rickenbacker" when you buy a Rickenbacker... hell, Rickenbacker are not even able to do that because they are not THAT big of a brand compared to say... Fender, Gibson or Marshall (even though only the two latter takes alot of advantage of it).
So don't worry with Rickenbacker... If you really want to buy a Rickenbacker, you have to show it.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
thanks for the posts!

I knew that they produce in the US, but I still think that you spend 100-200 dollars because of the name, so I have to save ; )
Quote by PrincessJoe
thanks for the posts!

I knew that they produce in the US, but I still think that you spend 100-200 dollars because of the name, so I have to save ; )

Rickenbacker builds argueably the best production bass available, today. and they spend a considerable amount of resources, to insure the reputation is not corrupted by "cheap copies". besides, the price of anything is determined by "market value". Rickenbacker couldn't charge that much, if people didn't think they were worth it. thats why "high-end" instruments cost so much, because the pro player understands, high quality costs more. just my 2cents(rant).
Quote by watchingmefall
It's harder to find a Rickenbacker copy than a real Rickenbacker. REALLY.

Really, save up. Rics are some of the basses that cost what they are worth. You don't get a rip off and you don't get a deal of the year, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY.

no need for caps ay.

but yeah he's got it right
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Rickenbacker is the one brand I would feel bad about buying a copy bass. Rickenbackers take around 2 to 3 years to recieve because the company is so extremely backordered (I know one man who is going on year 4 for waiting for a lefty). They are backordered because they still operate out of the small shop they have had so many years before, they will not grow as a company. Although due to their massive popularity they are facing huge shortages, they keep the small shop to keep quality up. The reason they are so expensive is that Rickenbacker has actually raised prices to fend off demand.

Looking at a company that reveres traditional values to such an extent, a copy bass ruins litterally everything that they stand for, every person that buys a Rickenbacker copy is indirectly destroying the company.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I spent a large portion of my summer sitting on ebay trying to get one.
There was a Kay model that went for just over 90 Pounds, that I was outbid on in the last 13 seconds. I've seen other ones go for around the same price.
Usually they are so expensive that you may as well just buy a second hand Rick.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INDIE-RIKI-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ130326015120QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item1e58092c90&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1502wt_754

Such as this one. Sure, I'd love a Rick copy... but not for 400 quid.
Quote by Spaz91
If anyone in England wants a Rickenbacker clone badly heres one for £400 http://www.hwmusic.co.uk/product/anniversary_40700.aspx I was going to get it but I got my ATK instead.

Edit: Its the same one that skater dan has, and he can vouch for it.

I have that bass, it kicks so much ass. My only gripe with it was the neck pickup which i swapped for a toaster pickup I bought from CHguitars on ebay. Now it's easily my favourite bass, more so than my jazz bass. Yes Max there's now a bass I love more than my jazz.

I don't care if I'm ruining John Hall. The only reason I bought a copy and the only reason copies are suddenly becoming more common is the completely unjustified 40% price increase.

Elliot, that indie is complete trash. It plays like a 4 year old put it together.

TS:

here's some close ups of my Anniversary rick copy. The quality really is worth £400. The only mods I made at this point were the brass nut which replaced a graphite nut the truss rod cover which i cut myself and the knobs which were originally normal rickenbacker knobs

note the brass nut and hand carved truss rod cover

jazz bass style knobs because they are the most ergonomic knobs ever made and the look perfect for it

the huge bridge that forces me to use extra long scale strings

epic bridge pickup, best tone ever

neck pickup soon to be replaced with a seymour duncan replacement
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by thebeatlessound
I have one for sale but the sale price with the USA are sending to: 998 Dolars !
Guitar + Hard Case + Sending.

http://picasaweb.google.fr/signos86/GrecoRickenbacker325Lennon1964USA#

Enjoy !

Wrong place?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by kranoscorp
...a copy bass ruins litterally everything that they stand for, every person that buys a Rickenbacker copy is indirectly destroying the company.

Not really. If their instruments are that far on back-order, they're doing well. And that's from a model which has had few changes made in its' 55 year lifespan. They have control of their market - basic economics dictates this - and use their lawyers to sort out the replicators, thus reinforcing their market control. They're not dissimilar to Ferrari in that respect of their business model.
But they do have a unique sound and feel which not everyone can afford (or wait for!), which is where the replicas come in. We've dicussed this a few times here, and the consensus is always that they're very difficult to come by.
I'm glad I got my Columbus when I did (aeons ago), because they weren't worth much then. It sounds like the real thing, and looks like it - well, until you spot the neck plate... I'll probly end up spending more than it's worth on its' restoration; but for all that, I'd still have a proper Rick.
Realistically, if I were looking for a copy now, I'd get one like Dan's - it looks the mutt's nuts, and should do you until you find the Rick of your dreams.
I've got one. Made by Anniversary. It cost me over £400, and...it's worth it even if it didn't look anything like a Rick. But it does, and you can own one. I can actually tell you exactly where if you're within travelling range of Cambridge UK, because the store apparently regularly has them in stock.

Tone-wise, it's pretty good. Not identical, obviously, but quite trebly and aggressive. Good sort of growl for a single-coil-based instrument.

As far as ruining the company goes...what do I care? If we're operating within a capitalist system, then copyright is a dubious concept anyway because the best instruments will sell regardless of whether there's competition.

I'm unlikely to buy a Rick in the first place, because at their price they don't actually have the sound I want best. So my interests are actually best served if Ricks go down in price (so I could compromise with one).

I do respect their business plan, but they're also being deliberately inefficient about supplying the demand, so they are in effect inviting other companies to come along and say 'here's the same thing for cheaper and sooner'. They won't lose many sales - someone who'll spend £450 isn't the same person who will spend £1500 - and people actually get the bass they want.
Quote by Spaz91
*waits for sound clips*

soundclip posted in profile

both pickups then bridge solo then neck solo
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Schechter has a Rickenbacker copy. It's the Stargazer. I don't have any experience with it but Schechter makes some quality stuff for a good price.
Quote by skater dan0
soundclip posted in profile

both pickups then bridge solo then neck solo

Bridge pup is epic
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Zycho
Schechter has a Rickenbacker copy. It's the Stargazer. I don't have any experience with it but Schechter makes some quality stuff for a good price.

Not quite a copy, but it's definitely influenced by the ric. Awesome bass. I wonder what happened to the 004? It's not on their website anymore.

Stargazer (5st version):

004:
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 25, 2009,
I just wanna TRY a Rick, but even that's impossible to do :/
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by Mutant Corn
Not quite a copy, but it's definitely influenced by the ric. Awesome bass. I wonder what happened to the 004? It's not on their website anymore.

I think they abandoned the 004 for the Stargazer because its closer to a Ric. The 004 had more of its own character.
Quote by kranoscorp
Rickenbacker is the one brand I would feel bad about buying a copy bass. Rickenbackers take around 2 to 3 years to recieve because the company is so extremely backordered (I know one man who is going on year 4 for waiting for a lefty). They are backordered because they still operate out of the small shop they have had so many years before, they will not grow as a company. Although due to their massive popularity they are facing huge shortages, they keep the small shop to keep quality up. The reason they are so expensive is that Rickenbacker has actually raised prices to fend off demand.

Looking at a company that reveres traditional values to such an extent, a copy bass ruins litterally everything that they stand for, every person that buys a Rickenbacker copy is indirectly destroying the company.

You have no idea how guilty you've just made me for owning a ric. Still, I love it to bits, it's an absolutely phenomenally well crafted instrument, even considering what you pay.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
ibanez got sued copying rickenbacker, dont go with them, herd they were crap quility as well.

Aria, had permission to copy them, there are very very good quility as well.

mate, all i can say is dont buy a copy, go with a rickenbacker, 4001-4003 and it will do you good. copies made be cheap, defently shows. except the auria.
Quote by rawshack zog
ibanez got sued copying rickenbacker, dont go with them, herd they were crap quility as well.

Aria, had permission to copy them, there are very very good quility as well.

mate, all i can say is dont buy a copy, go with a rickenbacker, 4001-4003 and it will do you good. copies made be cheap, defently shows. except the auria.

The Ibby's are perfectly good quility. You herd wrong. As are the Arias; both were made properly - thro' neck, etc., all maple, accurate pups... the list goes on.
The general point is; we know the real Ricks are great, but not everyone can afford, and not everyone wants to wait.
Quote by creepingjesus73
The Ibby's are perfectly good quility. You herd wrong. As are the Arias; both were made properly - thro' neck, etc., all maple, accurate pups... the list goes on.
The general point is; we know the real Ricks are great, but not everyone can afford, and not everyone wants to wait.

The only reason the ibanez and arias are so rare is that many of them are out there masquerading as vintage ricks with nothing more than the truss rod cover being replaced.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by creepingjesus73
we know the real Ricks are great, but not everyone can afford, and not everyone wants to wait.

That's what crime is for

What I wouldn'd do for a free 4003...
There is a guitar manufacturer called indie guitars, they made a copy, 'designed in britain made in korea' the tagline goes, I own one, in fireglo finish, I paid about 600 canadian for it brand new so if someone is trying to charge you more it is a definite rip off.

anyway, I love my guitar, the factory strings were terrible though, I swapped them for some 15 dollars hartkes which arent too bad, I think iyll try rotosound next.

I mistakenly bought a vox T-15 bass amp, I saw it on ebay and liked the look, unfortunatly my bass sounds like **** plugged into the vox, I tried it on a 100 watt hartke amp at my local music store and it sounds just like a realy rick!
Personally, I think rickenbacker and john hall can kiss my @$$, they over charge on their guitars not to mention the waiting list is 2 years for a new one and buying one used is also ridiculously expensive, would a prefer a real over a fake? for looks yes, because it would have the original shape head stock and truss rod cover, but for sound? I don't think there is much of a difference.

I would also like to mention, I almost bought a used 1970's inanez copy, in canada ibanez was marketed under the name 'mann guitars', the one I played was mapleglo, the only difference between it and a real rick was that there wasent any writing on the TRC, it was beaut, unfortunatly when I came back to the shop to buy it the following week it had been sold, hence why I bought the indie copy online.