View poll results: Robot or VG
VG
15 25%
ROBOT
11 18%
I'm Low Tech
34 57%
Voters: 60.
Is the really an innovation, worth all its hype, or just Gibson's over exaggerated response to the Fender VG Strat?
Quote by KingJustinian25
if you change tunings a lot then its good

... but you can do that on both... one's fast but slow, the other's slow but more accurate
3 bumps in 10 minutes? catch a ****ing grip.

and i dont really care for either, guitarists should like any musician (excepting pianists) learn to tune, i play in lots of alt tunings and i do it by hand.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
I'm not one for stuff that fancy. Nothing sounds as good as a nice vintage guitar.

Quote by Kel_the_Gr81
...fast but slow

hmm...
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Last edited by mister389 at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by robertreilly666
3 bumps in 10 minutes? catch a ****ing grip.

and i dont really care for either, guitarists should like any musician (excepting pianists) learn to tune, i play in lots of alt tunings and i do it by hand.

I think it was so you could change tunings mid set or mid song
But the only thing i see wrong with it is that if you wanted to go from standard to, say, Drop B, and you had .9's on, they would be floppy. And if you wanted to go into an open tuning from say, D Standard with .10's, you would snap a string. Its nice if you wanna be a little lazy with tunings, but i say that a Strat with a Roland on it is better than the Gibson Robot. And i dont like the purple robots.

EDIT: Changing mid-song?? Who would do that? And why?
its a forum, not a chatroom, dont bump in 4 hours nevermind 4 minutes

i'd say the strat, it has acoustic and 12 string models in there too, the gibson basically tunes itsself. hardly constitutes 'robot'
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Not a big fan of Gibson myself, I'd have to go with... Gibson.

From what I understand, the VG merely emulates the different tunings, while the Gibson actually changes the guitars tuning. I choose it on that reason alone.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

i'd say the strat, it has acoustic and 12 string models in there too, the gibson basically tunes itsself. hardly constitutes 'robot'

agreed
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

Because of that, there's a good chance that the strings might snap on the Gibson
I'm sick of hearing about the robot... waste of money and its really a shame that guitarists have gotten so lazy that they can't even tune a guitar themselves!
I could care less for either of em'
I don't mind tuning it by ear or with a tuner
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Quote by Kel_the_Gr81
Because of that, there's a good chance that the strings might snap on the Gibson

theres 0 chance imo

unless you dial in a crazysilly tuning, drop c to open A shouldnt to any damage, when you consider rolled up in the pack to standard
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm sick of hearing about the robot... waste of money and its really a shame that guitarists have gotten so lazy that they can't even tune a guitar themselves!

wouldn't that mean any guitarist who uses a guitar tuner is lazy, too?

compared to back when only tuning forks were available.
SRV R.I.P.
I would say the gibson would look cooler, but i don't think it beats a turn on a knob to go from Lets say the song The Metal By Tenacious D At that one point you have to drop to D like THAT so just a switch on the knob on the VG would be easier than having to wait a couple seconds (Or more) on the Robot...

I would Consiter have the robot for like studio and the Vg for the Gigs and everything else

I think the VG is Better... IT's Easier to use... Just like guitar playing was easy as guitar hero... but im good at both so it doesn't matter
Gear:
Squire Hot Rails Stratocaster
Dean MXL (for Sale)
Marshall DFX 100 Amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Vox Wah
Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

Stevo criticising Gibson? But I agree, it's a neat time-saver, but it would be a hindrance if you went back to conventional guitars and found you could no longer tune by ear in under 5 minutes... But the VG Strat relies on the guitar being in tune in the first place but does more to your sound for about £500/600 less.

By the way, TS, I love it how you assume if someone would rather not use a guitar which digitally models your sound or a guitar which tunes itself that they default to being "low tech".
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You evidently don't have even the slightest ****ing clue what the point of the robot guitar is.

Anyway, I'd rather have the VG.

I love the look of the new purple SG and LP robot guitars, and in theory, I like the mechanics - the tuning element of the Robot is so good, I almost want it on all my guitars.

The problem is though, it does physically re-tune the guitar, which can be fine if you're just going from say, E Standard to Eb tuning, but if you're trying to do all sorts of drop tunings or if you're using very thin strings and dropping down, it will make the guitar unplayable. It also causes extra wear and tear on the tuners, bridge and neck of the guitar, so those Robots aren't going to last as long as other guitars will.

There's also the problem that the Robots are more of a pain to modify. Want to add coil splits, out of phase settings, change the pickups for actives, fit P-90 pickups, reverse the wiring of the neck pickup? Then you're screwed. You basically just have to take the Robots 'as is', and live with it.

On the other hand, the VG Strat does anything you want, without physically screwing around with the guitar. You can mod it almost as easily as any other guitar, and the electronics cause no extra damage to the instrument.

So, although I'm more of a Gibson fan than a Fender fan, I merely want a Robot SG and LP to hang on my wall and look pretty - but I desperately want a VG Strat to actually play. VG wins.
Quote by bokuho
I like the mechanics - the tuning element of the Robot is so good, I almost want it on all my guitars.

Then get it. The system is called Powertune and is manufactured by Tronical. It's available for both 3+3 and 6 in line headstocks and has been for something like 10 monts before Gibson put them on their "robot".
Quote by bokuho
There's also the problem that the Robots are more of a pain to modify. Want to add coil splits, out of phase settings, change the pickups for actives, fit P-90 pickups, reverse the wiring of the neck pickup? Then you're screwed. You basically just have to take the Robots 'as is', and live with it.

Not true.
The VG is actually a cool and useful guitar with some new ideas that will probably become more commonplace, and for good reason. The Robot is a gimmick that may become more commonplace but only because some people will consider it to be a great convenience.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
The VG, is by far more of an innovation than the "robot". The playability is awesome and the idea of adding the XII string, tele, and humbucker modes was pure genius(despite being synthetic).

Keep em coming Fender