Sorry about the long title, so hard to explain what i mean..

I've been playing a while but never really written.. I fiddle around and get good riffs but thats all.. how do I put them together when they're all in different places? they wouldn't all be in key or fit together would they?

The main thing is chords.. I love chords, odd jazzy ones and stuff, especially when used in metal, i'm not just a power chord person... but al l these chords confuse me, when i learn a shape I just strum around and move it up and down..

How do I use chords together?

When I have one little riff what do I do next to write more stuff that fits.. or a harmony part?

I know this must be a lot of explain and learn but hopefully there a few basics and pointers that will get me on my way

Thank you guys!
DAvid
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Learn the basic scales.
Know the root notes of the chords in the scale and you can change to pretty much any of these and remain "in key".

There's loads of scales and chord variations but learn the basic Major & Minor scales and you can start writing to a decent standard.

Try simple chord changes - I to IV to V etc. and relative minors. If that makes no sense just look it up on google, there's bound to be something on there...

Hope that helps a bit
Quote by Johnny Trash
Learn the basic scales.
Know the root notes of the chords in the scale and you can change to pretty much any of these and remain "in key".

There's loads of scales and chord variations but learn the basic Major & Minor scales and you can start writing to a decent standard.

Try simple chord changes - I to IV to V etc. and relative minors. If that makes no sense just look it up on google, there's bound to be something on there...

Hope that helps a bit

Thankyou for your reply

I know the basic chords and a few random more obscure ones from various songs i've learnt, the main question is knowing what chords to use together when writing and when writing a riff how to make the harmony part and how to know where to go next to stay in key..

So what you're saying is using the root notes from the chords I can make something in key if I use the correct root notes that fit in the scale I may be using?

David
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Yeah look at it this way

Pick a key to start with. Something fairly easy to workout. C Major for example.
Come up with a riff that works using the notes of the scale of C Major (C, D, E, F, G, A, B) once you have a cool riff play that same riff in the position of F (starting on the root note of F) then move that up again to G then back to C. It's real simple and might not sound great but it's good practise.

This may sound really complicated but it's really not. All you need is a basic knowledge of music theory and you're sorted.

BUT don't get too caught up in the theory side of things. Do what you think sounds good and what sounds in key. Learn the basic scales and train your ears to knowing what's in key/out of key...