I've finally decided exactly on what amp to get. The Laney VC30-112 seems like a good idea. Nice cleans, 30W, and importantly an effects loop (for a delay pedal, so for any fast "shred-ish" moments, which sound REALLY nice with some delay).

But, I know it can do a bluesy zeppelin sound, and ac/dc sound, which is always good, but it can't do high-gain, and needs pedals.

So, would a pedal, such a Marshall jackhammer (A friend has one, so I can borrow it to ensure it works with the amp, and it has bass, mid, treble knobs, so it can EQ the distorted sound) with the amp allow me to get a get a good Iron Maiden/"Bark at the moon" (Ozzy)/G'N'R/Judas Priest/Black Sabbath sound?

If so, then the amps for me (clean to mid-gain to near high-gain). (I do love clean sound :P).

I would ask the laney thread but 400+ pages is too much to sift through, and search wasn't as good as I hoped.

Thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 24, 2008,
With a decent OD pedal I personally think it can do slightly heavier stuff, just won't sound too great on the modern stuff, but for the bands you listed I think it could.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
theres a tone guide/reviews on the first few posts of the laney thread

we're allways happy to help, just ask on the last page. half of the regulars are VC30 owners anyway

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
theres a tone guide/reviews on the first few posts of the laney thread

we're allways happy to help, just ask on the last page. half of the regulars are VC30 owners anyway

Yeah, I looked that lot, and it helped make me 95% sure it was the amp I needed, but I wanted to be 100% sure, as another amp I looked out didn't have an effect loop and I love the shred with delay sound.

And yeah, I know it can't more modern stuff, but the sound I like is what I listed, so it seems like it'll work.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
my VC15 can do pretty heavy rock

the effects loop is stupid and parallel though, could be better
VC15 has a little more gain, maybe get that and then if you want a 12'' get a small extension cab? Either that or retube the amp with JJ power and Tung-sol preamps for more gain
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
my VC15 can do pretty heavy rock

the effects loop is stupid and parallel though, could be better
...Yeah, great reason for saying it's rubbish.

That's like saying Keira Knightley is ugly because she looks like Keira Knightley.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
...Yeah, great reason for saying it's rubbish.

That's like saying Keira Knightley is ugly because she looks like Keira Knightley.

wutchu talkin bout willis?

it is great, just the parallel effects loop could be better I.E. not parallel. im sure you've said that yourself, theres some other odd feature in the circuit too im sure
Well the VC15s one could be better. IE have a mix knob for it, like the VC30 does. But there's nothing at all wrong with a parallel FX loop.
What would probably be better then?

The 15 or 30? I do want to get an amp that will last for AGES, but do I 30W? It's probably too load. Any help?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
^ VC15 if you play at home, definitely. the 10'' speakers are alot more responsive too.
Quote by MrCarrot
Well the VC15s one could be better. IE have a mix knob for it, like the VC30 does. But there's nothing at all wrong with a parallel FX loop.

except from the volume drop on your FX, and the sort of watered down ness i find i get
And if, in the remote possibility, used live, would it be able to cut through very well, especially solos? The laney thread says it can play small-medium venues, but... ?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
That's because there's no mix knob. There's a buffer for it anyway. But what are you comparing it to?

And, the VC30 is a tad loud especailly for bedroom stuff. I would put it like this:

Bedroom Hero/Small Band (3-piece) gigging and band practices: VC15
Gigging/Band Practices in any band, covering pretty much all volumes: VC30

Keep in mind the VC30 sounds a bit warmer and nicer overall, and you are also able to pull out a pair of power tubes to make it essentially 15w.

But then, it does cost like £100 more, and do you really need to spend that much?
Last edited by MrCarrot at Apr 24, 2008,
im comparing it to fx in the line but a wet dry blend would be a vast improvement

TS, i find myself knocking the volume down a notch on a regular basis with my 15, especially at night. 15w valve is powerful
Well of course line FX would be warmer, they have the whole preamp section between them and the FX loop...

And yeah, without 15w 'mode' or an attenuator, the VC30 is way too loud for good bedroom tone. My VC30 with a basic attenuator and 2 power tubes out, though, is extremely controllable.
I play my 30 watt like 90% of the time at home. No school today got to crank it up a bit.

But I abuse pedals so I dont need volume for good tone.
The VC15 does seem a better choice when it comes to volume.

A 15W tube amp is, simply put, generally half as loud as a 150W tube amp, right (yeah, I know wattage != volume)?
But compared to a 100W SS combo, which is what a guitar playing friend has and will be using for rhythm, could it easily compete? I hear tube amps cut through better as more harmonics, etc., but lets say that during a solo, would it easily cut through?

And what's up with FX loop? The 15 doesn't have one as good?

I'm getting more confused by the day :P. The VC30 seems ideal, but it may too loud, but the VC15 is quieter, but more suitable, but has its flaws.

I could get the 20W Sound City mark 6, but I was after a 30W combo - which is why I checked out Laney. So, if you were in my shoes, just to help me out, what would you get, VC15, VC30 or the Sound City?
I think I'll be heading for the VC15, as long some of the questions above are answered. I reckon I'll order it tonight. It £70 then the VC30, so I can buy a good pedal or two.
Thanks everyone for the help so far.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 25, 2008,
decibels isnt a linear scale, so it can be misleading, i.e a 3 db volume boost = twice as loud

i dont think the VC15 could compete with a 100W SS if it was at full volume. it'd probbly be ok for band practice. (my guitarist matches our drummer on an MG15 at school, its dreadful, but loud enough 0_o)but thered prolly be little clean headroom.

i'd spring for the 30 if you have a sillyloud guitarist
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
decibels isnt a linear scale, so it can be misleading, i.e a 3 db volume boost = twice as loud

i dont think the VC15 could compete with a 100W SS if it was at full volume. it'd probbly be ok for band practice. (my guitarist matches our drummer on an MG15 at school, its dreadful, but loud enough 0_o)but thered prolly be little clean headroom.

i'd spring for the 30 if you have a sillyloud guitarist

Would anyone play an SS amp at full volume?

I'm really unsure now... 15 or 30...

EDIT: I think I may get the 30, but the 15 seams nice. Any help?
Oh, just discovered 15 has no standby switch, would this cause any minor problems..?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 25, 2008,
^ think about this way, if you get the 15 watt you can spend £100 on new tubes and a speaker and sounds much better overall, but you won't capabilities to do louder gigs
Quote by Horlicks
^ think about this way, if you get the 15 watt you can spend £100 on new tubes and a speaker and sounds much better overall, but you won't capabilities to do louder gigs

I think I will get the 15W + upgrades and pedals. After all, most playing is at home.
BUT, 2, very last questions!
1- Would adding an extension cabinet, such as a 1x12 or a 2x12 help if I wanted play larger places (as more speakers = more air being moved)
2- With a lack of stand-by, should I turn the amp on with all volume at 0 for a minute or two?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I think I will get the 15W + upgrades and pedals. After all, most playing is at home.
BUT, 2, very last questions!
1- Would adding an extension cabinet, such as a 1x12 or a 2x12 help if I wanted to be near the volume of a 30W (as more speakers = more air being moved)
2- With a lack of stand-by, should I turn the amp on with all volume at 0 for a minute or two?

when you connect a cab to the 15 it doesnt use the amps speaker, just the cab

and no
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
when you connect a cab to the 15 it doesnt use the amps speaker, just the cab

and no

But would using a 2x12 help for larger places?

And what should I do with a lack of standby then? Lower volume, or just not play anything? Or just play straight away?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
play straight away.

a 212 might, but you'd only be micing one speaker
The 15W is is then. It should be loud enough.

I could always get the 30W in future if an increase was ever needed, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Thanks a lot for the help everyone!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
No, 3dB = double speaker wattage or double amp wattage, 10dB is twice as loud to the human ear.
Quote by MrCarrot
No, 3dB = double speaker wattage or double amp wattage, 10dB is twice as loud to the human ear.

AS physics cant be as full of lies as GCSE can it?
The internet > AS Physics.

Now GTFO.
Quote by Wiki
It is seen that there is a 10 dB increase (decrease) for each factor 10 increase (decrease) in the ratio of the two power levels, and approximately a 3 dB increase (decrease) for every factor 2 increase (decrease)

in short, that says +10 DB=X10 and +3 DB=X2....from a website.......on the internet

i see your GTFO and raise you STFU.
Yes, it will give you what you're after and more.
I know first hand as I played a friend's Jackhammer through my VC30-112 only a couple of weeks ago.
Quote by ChrisN
Yes, it will give you what you're after and more.
I know first hand as I played a friend's Jackhammer through my VC30-112 only a couple of weeks ago.

Ah, nice to know. Thanks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO