I have Kubuntu on a 20gig partition, Vista on another, XP on another, and finally a free space one for backups.

I want Kubuntu gone, so I can replace it with Ubuntu 8.04.

How do I do this?
When I open up "My Computer", Vista doesn't detect it, and neither does Partition Magic(at least, I don't think so). But, Kubuntu will detect Vista and XP.

All I could possibly think of is using that free partition for it or getting a second hard drive for your computer. If you have a multi-boot software, I believe that you can delete your kubuntu partition and create a new one for Ubuntu. You shouldn't trust me on that, though, because I've never done it, and I'm not sure if deleting Kubuntu would mean deleting all your kubuntu files, unless you backed them up to your free partition. Most of what I just said I've read about recently, since my computer broke and I wanted to put Ubuntu on it instead of reinstalling Windows 2000.
First, how big is your hard drive? Maybe if it is a big hard drive you would be able to make another partition.
Newbs are dorks... oh wait, I'm a newb... shoot...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

One of these smilies is mentally challenged
Quote by thefreshman
All I could possibly think of is using that free partition for it or getting a second hard drive for your computer. If you have a multi-boot software, I believe that you can delete your kubuntu partition and create a new one for Ubuntu. You shouldn't trust me on that, though, because I've never done it, and I'm not sure if deleting Kubuntu would mean deleting all your kubuntu files, unless you backed them up to your free partition. Most of what I just said I've read about recently, since my computer broke and I wanted to put Ubuntu on it instead of reinstalling Windows 2000.
First, how big is your hard drive? Maybe if it is a big hard drive you would be able to make another partition.

I don't want to make another partition because I don't have enough room to spare.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I did all my partition management in XP. I don't remember how, but I do remember that I did.

I'll boot into XP and see.
Why go through all that trouble thefreshman? Seriously all you have to do is download GParted, a 50mb live partitioner and delete the Kubuntu partition...

Just make sure you burn it as an .iso image.

Edit: XP or Vista cannot recognise ext3 partitions for **** - I know because I have them both running alongside Ubuntu and it see's the ext3 partition as an unformatted primary partition.

Also, are you using GRUB to boot into your windows partitions or have you chainloaded it to NTLDR or BCD?
Last edited by acersucks at Apr 24, 2008,
Well now I'm pissed off. I did as you said Dirge, and deleted the partition. Well now I turn on my computer and I see some GRUB Error 22, and it stops loading. I can't do anything. The only thing I have access to is BIOS.

I need to get onto Vista to do homework.

PS, now I'm on the computer upstairs, mine is in my room.
Yup, you're screwed now, should've read my post. When you deleted your Kubuntu partition, you must have had GRUB installed to (hd0) meaning, you wipe out Kubuntu, you wipe out GRUB, meaning you wipe out access to windows...
Quote by Thornography
Well now I'm pissed off. I did as you said Dirge, and deleted the partition. Well now I turn on my computer and I see some GRUB Error 22, and it stops loading. I can't do anything. The only thing I have access to is BIOS.

I need to get onto Vista to do homework.

PS, now I'm on the computer upstairs, mine is in my room.

Did you delete the Kubuntu partition and the GRUB? I never deleted GRUB, just the actual Xbuntu. Try loading an ISO of ubuntu though.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Did you delete the Kubuntu partition and the GRUB? I never deleted GRUB, just the actual Xbuntu. Try loading an ISO of ubuntu though.

I just opened up Partition Magic, and deleted the partition. It left it as "Unallocated". I didn't do anything to GRUB, because I don't know what it is.
Quote by Thornography
I just opened up Partition Magic, and deleted the partition. It left it as "Unallocated". I didn't do anything to GRUB, because I don't know what it is.

GRUB is the screen that comes up when you initially turn the computer on that lets you select the partition to use.
Looks something like this:
Quote by Dirge Humani
GRUB is the screen that comes up when you initially turn the computer on that lets you select the partition to use.
Looks something like this:

Well mine looked something like that. It gave me the options of booting into Vista or Linux. When I clicked on Vista, I'd have the options of XP or Vista, because I'd now be in Windows Boot Manager.

I don't get why it just doesn't go straight to Windows Boot Manager.
What partition was the Kubuntu partition? ie. first, second?
GRUB is a bootloader; what linux uses to boot into whatever distribution you're using - just like XP has NTLDR and Vista has BCD. You can try this to repair your Vista bootloader, if you have your Vista disc, by rebooting into it and clicking repair. Then choose to repair startup items or something (it's the first option). But from my experience, the Vista disc could not rewrite the bootloader after I had deleted my Ubuntu partition.
Quote by acersucks
What partition was the Kubuntu partition? ie. first, second?
GRUB is a bootloader; what linux uses to boot into whatever distribution you're using - just like XP has NTLDR and Vista has BCD. You can try this to repair your Vista bootloader, if you have your Vista disc, by rebooting into it and clicking repair. Then choose to repair startup items or something (it's the first option). But from my experience, the Vista disc could not rewrite the bootloader after I had deleted my Ubuntu partition.

I'll try that now.

And Kubuntu had used a logical partition.
que?

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

Fix the masterboot section using your XP disc. First, use Disk Management (if you have XP pro) to format the Kubuntu section. Second, when you restart, make sure you boot from the CD drive. Then hit R at the right moment, and type Fixmbr (it'll be listed if you type in HELP). Problem solved.

And use Wubi to install 8.04...it makes installation (no .isos to burn or blank CD's to use) and future uninstallation a piece of cake (just like a normal program).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Another thing, when you installed Kubuntu, did it ask you where to install GRUB? It should have been notated as (hd0) or for the first logical partition (hd0,4). If you did not specify, most likely it overwrote your master boot record (MBR) and this is where the windows bootloader usually is. Now I don't know much about windows bootloaders but I'm assuming that if you install GRUB to the MBR, it rewrites the windows bootloader to the bootsector of the NTFS partition, meaning, if you wipeout your MBR, you lose access to any bootloader on any bootsector of any partition...

If the Vista install/rescue disc method doesn't work for you, try google searching for some rescue boot discs. If you have your XP instal disc handy, press "R" once it loads and prompts you to and in command prompt, well first enter admin password or whatever it asks you for and then in prompt type the follow (pressing enter after each line):

bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot
fixmbr

Then once you've done this, then try the Vista disc method. But I doubt that this will work, since when you instal XP after Vista, you install the bootloader to the bootsector (I think) and you mark the Vista partition as inactive...
Oh **** - I forgot about something (sorry for double posting if I do) but try this before doing any of the above methods where you rewrite the boot records:

download the GParted live cd (50mb) and burn as an image and boot it up and when it lists your partitions, mark the Vista partition as "active" by right-clicking it, choose "Manage flags" in the context menu and then check "Boot"

Alternativly, if you have the Vista instal disc, reboot into it and open command prompt - one of the options after you click "Repair". Then type the following: (pressing enter after each line)
diskpart
list disk
# if it's the first hard drive then
select disk 0
list partition
# select the vista partition (0 is if it's the first)
select partition 0
active
exit
exit

and then reboot. Tell me if that works, and then I'll tell you how to get back your XP partition.
Well I've just popped in my Vista disk (before reading any of the last posts), and I tried to repair. I tried most options but nothing worked because it couldn't detect a problem.

So I got my Kubuntu disk and put that it. Kubuntu isn't installed anymore, so I used it as a Live CD. My idea was to salvage and save any homework through the Live CD by going onto my Vista partition, but when I tried to go on, I couldn't see any files at all and it said the size of my Vista and XP, and backup partitions were 0 bytes each.

Maybe it's just because it's a Live CD, I don't know.

Right now my main priority is getting my homework safely onto a USB. Could I do this is I installed Kubuntu?

Also, maybe it I installed Kubuntu, I'd get things working again?

Right now I'm going to go try what acersucks said in his last post, then if that doesn't work I'll install Kubuntu again.

PS I have no XP disk because it's pirated.
So you don't have the XP disc, or you have a pirated one? Doesn't matter if it's pirated, mine is too - as long as it's the one where you have to reboot your computer to install it (and I don't really know of any other XP install disc) and it asks you if you want to install, repair, or exit then your fine.

Also, I don't think the Live CD mounts your hard drive when it loads.

And another thing: I forgot but Kubuntu should have GParted in the Live CD - just go to System > Administration > and look for Partition Editor. (I forget what the categories are called, haven't booted Ubuntu in a while, but look for it in the menu with all the system settings stuff)
Quote by acersucks
So you don't have the XP disc, or you have a pirated one? Doesn't matter if it's pirated, mine is too - as long as it's the one where you have to reboot your computer to install it (and I don't really know of any other XP install disc) and it asks you if you want to install, repair, or exit then your fine.

Also, I don't think the Live CD mounts your hard drive when it loads.

And another thing: I forgot but Kubuntu should have GParted in the Live CD - just go to System > Administration > and look for Partition Editor. (I forget what the categories are called, haven't booted Ubuntu in a while, but look for it in the menu with all the system settings stuff)

XP is pirated, so I have no disk.

It's too late now for playing with the Live CD. I've begun the installation. Hopefully, I'll have GRUB back and I'll be able to get back into Vista.
I've installed Kubuntu back onto my partition that it used to be on, and I now have access to Vista and XP again.

But I'm back where I started now - with Kubuntu.