Ok guys...so i have to make a presentation for a class and i decided to do it on the electric guitar and its impact on culture and i was wondering what key points do you think would be appropriate for my paper. So far i've decided to talk about Fender and Gibson history (they're the biggest producers u know...), how a guitar works, and effects that can be applied to it.

Anything else i could focus on? Maybe revolutionary artists?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Les Paul's pretty revolutionary given he invented the Les Paul.

edit: I'm totally giggling now at how ridiculous the name Les Paul actually is in relation to guitars....tee hee!
Quote by freedoms_stain

And the electric guitar.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Birth of the Superstrat! I.E. The days when Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai said "I think we can make these better..." And Charvel and Ibanez agreed!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
How guitar was considered a tavenern instrument

_ what andres segovia and fernando sor did for the guitars credability, rock n roll, and the impact rock has had on the rest of the generations sonce the 50's. i did the same projects a couple years back. Oh and how adolf rickenbacker made the first widely known electric guitar
talk about bands that pioneered guitar, e.g. jimi hendrix.
Oh and bring in your guitar and just show of some stuff.
i would talk about jimi hendrix... because he started the revolution of rock guitar...

[Edit] oops to late
Quote by freedoms_stain

edit: I'm totally giggling now at how ridiculous the name Les Paul actually is in relation to guitars....tee hee!

lol... I was also thinking of maybe having pics of the most popular guitars and who use them:

les paul - slash
sg - angus young
strat - eric clapton
tele - ?
jaguar - kurt cobain
flying v - ?

what did i get myself into?...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I once aced a paper on the History of Metal.

5 pages of Slayer, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.

I'd focus on major artists and how they pushed the envelope.

A major issue with guitar was race, particularly the influence of black people. You could talk about the "pre-Hendrix" and "pre-Robert Johnson" days of guitar where white guys plucked around on Honky Tonk and so forth. Then when the black people started changing the music and pissing off all the white people, and kids weren't allowed to have those "black records"...

Then twenty years later music was totally different, and you had guys like Jimmy Page playing music heavily influenced both by the black artists and by classical music.

Personally I think that's probably the biggest single influence in guitar, the original black guys way back who had the balls to challenge all the stupid ignorant white people, shattering the precious innocence of all those perfect little Suburbanites and their virgin ears!

Preachers gave sermons on it and everything. Anytime that's going on, you know that rock music is doing something right!

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I would talk about van halen cuz 4 a while keyboard was like replacing guitar in rock music doing the riffs and all until Van halen came. Hendrix would be good too cuz he is the source of inspiration for many of today's guitarists
Talk about the lute. That's where it all started.
Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
Quote by freedoms_stain

The Les Paul is not revolutionary.
Les Paul invented the log guitar first which pretty much layed down the idea of solid body electric guitars.

TS I did a presentation on electric guitars.
Start off with semi hollow body guitars like the ones made Rickenbackers. They're also called Jazzboxes.
Then go on about the Fender Telescaster= First succesfully commercial solid body guitar.

And btw Les Paul started off with Epiphone, not Gibson.
Talk about how the invention of the rock guitar method ie jimi hendrix changed our culture and music taste
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Les Paul- Jimmy Page
SG- Angus Young/Tony Iommi
Flying V- Albert King
Strat- Jimi Hendrix
EDS-1275- Jimmy Page
Telecaster- Albert Collins/Muddy Waters
Jaguar- Kobain
Firebird- Johnny Winter

I could go on, but I don't want to
talk about the hawaiian guitars and stuff, the really early days when they first showed up in music.
kill all humans