I have always played by ear and tabs but lately I have found that knowing the scales helps in everything. I am not so good at identifying scales by ear just melody. Does any one know what scale Slash is playing in the solos for "Estranged" I can tell its minor pentatonic but it seems to move around alot any input is appreciated
Quote by aetherspear
a scale is not a box on the fretboard, its a series of notes.

I understand that. I don't see how my question would give the impression I didn't. Perhaps next time instead of being a douche maybe you offer something helpful?
If you "can tell its minor pentatonic", what is the problem? I don't understand your question.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by onprcntr
I understand that. I don't see how my question would give the impression I didn't. Perhaps next time instead of being a douche maybe you offer something helpful?

Calm the fuck down and act civilly if you want your question answered. He wasn't "being a douche".

Slash works a lot in pentatonics, but he's not a linear player at all; you'll usually notice a lot of wide intervallic jumps, and some of the notes that sound odd may likely be part of the blues scale as he's a very blues-based player. If you can, post a link to the song somewhere and I'll be happy to listen.
pentatonic minor, he also uses notes from the minor and major scales occasionally.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

slash's playing is heavily based on the pentatonics and the blues. I cant recall the solo off my head but i would suggest learning the major blues scale. that scale is meant to be used over dominant chords. here is the pattern :1, b3, 3, 4, b5, 5, b6, 6, b7,8
when playing this scale look at is as a minor pentatonic scale with all the non diatonic tones. although you play it straight when going up the scale you have to play in differently when you go back down it. Becaue this is the "major" blues scale you cannot go from a b3 (minor third) to the root because that implies a minor sound. so when you go down you must bypass playing the major third and do straight from the 4 to b3, THEN play the major third by going up a half step and then to the root heres the order for playing it downwards: 8, b7, 6 ,b6, 5, b5, 4, b3, 3, 1.

this scale sounds very good and is used heavily by slash, i know i did not answer you question for estranged but im just trying to give you some good ideas fo having a slasah feel and sound.
That's one of the more interesting Slash solos. He uses a lot of wide interval jumps within the minor pentatonic and a few chromatic tones. However, it doesn't use a lot of classic blues licks like most of Slash's work.