Hey, i got a MIM fender strat a few months ago and i want to do somthing to make it sound better. People tell me to get a better amp, i have a 15 W line six and others tell me get pick ups. Can any of you tell me what i could do to make it sound better, which pick ups should i get i can use up to like 150$ probably?

thanks
Take that money and use it to purchase a small valve amp. New pickups aren't going to do you much good playing through a 15W line six amp...
You can try to put the best pickups ever made in your guitar, with the amp you actually have, the sound won't change, or maybe a little. If you want a better sound, get a better amp.
Amp first. Something like an Epiphone Valve Junior or try out any of the other new small tube combos that are coming out now.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
You can also have a look to the Peavey Royal 8 (or something like that) Nice lil' tube amp.
"look, hes gotta spider"

*Mauls n00b*

as the others have said, put the money towards a new amp.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
so a better amp will make it sound better then if i get pick ups

well can you recommend any amps for 200-300 dollars that will show a big improvements from the 15 wat line6
Last edited by fishtor at Apr 24, 2008,
i say save up a hundred dollars more and get a valveking 112
all tube excellence for only $400
Once upon a time you dressed so fine...
Man...

Get a Blackheart "Killer Ant"

Sounds bitchen and it's CHEAP!!!

mymindsok
amp first...I was in doubts of getting a new guitar or a new amp.
I had a Ibanez TBX15R amp...
I got a ''decent'' distortion with single coils.
Now when I switched to my tube amp VK 212 it just sounds horrible.
So amp first(if you have humbuckers...otherwise both xD ).
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I've done very many sessions, have a couple of gold albums and I've actually used a MIM strat and a POD on most of the tracks on those albums
I think Line6 makes really good amps no matter the size. I happen to like the pickups in my MIM strat, but I'm curious what don't you like about your sound? Is it humming, or noisy, or do you need more drive because maybe it's just as simple as the settings on your amp or the chain of effects are in the wrong order...
/JP
Well I have a MIM strat. Stock through my valve amp it was great. I changed the pickups (the whole reason I bought the guitar) and it was amazing

Getting a nice valve amp will do your guitar justice. It will sound so much nicer and really let your guitar shine
New amp would be more important. You should only get new pickups once your amp is good, otherwise you'll be wasting money on a miniscule change in tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Dreamality
I've done very many sessions, have a couple of gold albums and I've actually used a MIM strat and a POD on most of the tracks on those albums
I think Line6 makes really good amps no matter the size. I happen to like the pickups in my MIM strat, but I'm curious what don't you like about your sound? Is it humming, or noisy, or do you need more drive because maybe it's just as simple as the settings on your amp or the chain of effects are in the wrong order...
/JP

The POD's quality kicks the Spider's metal tushy. PODs are made for recording directly, Spiders are (supposedly) made to use for practice or live, those are two entirely different fields. PODs are the best modelling I know, Spiders somewhere went wrong. Dunno howcome

Anyway yeah better amp. If you want something cheap the Ibanez Valbee hasn't been mentioned yet; however for $500-600 you could get a head that you'll use for years and years.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I think it kinda depends on the type of sound you are trying to get. If you want to play metal then with the cash you have you are not going to be able to get the right amp for the job. Some better pickups would help your clean tone a lot but hurt your metal tone.

If you want to play blues or soft alternative, or the more mellow classic rock then upgraiding to one of the many 5watt valve amps would probably be the best way to go. Having a better amp will make you realize how much your pickups suck and you will still eventually want to replace them, but you will sound better.

If you want to play some of the heavier classic rock and/or you play lots of stuff clean, then I'd suggest you get pickups 1st because I don't really think the 5 watt valve amps are good for cleans. To get a good amp for this kind of music you will need to double your budget. If you just got pickups you would still have a noticable increase in tonal quality (not as noticable as if you doubled your budget and got a good 15 watt vavle amp) and you will stay within your budget. If you could spend around $400 to $600 on an amp then I would definitaly get the amp and then the pickups later.

Anyway, that's my oppinion.
Not taking any online orders.