I'm entering a shred contest and need to play something. I play lot's of metal with shred in it(Trivium, A7X) but those won't work. I need something instrumental that's shred and is 90 seconds long.

The contest is 2 weeks from saturday./ Any suggestions
you could try some becker, serrana? but thats really hard
errrm what about some paul gilbert, technical difficulties isnt too bad i learnt it in about 2-3 days
buckethead big sur moon is nice but not really hard
what are the criteria? the highest speed, most feel at speed, best composition of th licks, etc. ?
also, will there be a band backing you // the other competitors?
and is it supposed to be a song, or can you play in freetime?

anyway, if it's but 90 seconds, why dont you just come up with your own thing?
2 weekends should be enough.. mix your own thing of impressive techniques that you've mastered, so you can focus merely on the feel of it?

if your don't think you can come up with own thing, take some shredding licks you think sound really good and transpose them to a key, and match some chords..
oh, and throw in a modulation or 2, those ought to be impressive enough..

more on that, if you come up with your own stuff, use substitution arpeggio's, that' bound to keep it interesting
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
I got halfway through paul gilbert's version of 5th caprice. The problem is it's like impossible to memorize. Also I suck at the cadenza
I suggest just doing your own thing, man. Impress people with YOUR music, not someone else's. Too many young guitarists play other people's music these days and never learn how to write themselves.
Thanks. I decided to do some shredding in A minor. I have some neo-classical licks in A harmonic minor and an a minor sweep. Any idea what other sweeps might fit with this. Maybe some tapping?
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
Music isn't a competition

facepalm.jpg

In this instance is it.
Get over it.
Gore AND Core; unite!
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
Music isn't a competition

facepalm.jpg

A contest is a competition.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Shiptoni
Thanks. I decided to do some shredding in A minor. I have some neo-classical licks in A harmonic minor and an a minor sweep. Any idea what other sweeps might fit with this. Maybe some tapping?

Well just whip out the scale, lay the notes on the fretboard, and experiment with any sweeping patterns you can observe.
Are you allowed to have a backing track?

Something classical w/ your own chops over it would be good.

Then preparation would just be playing over that track for 4 or 5 hours a day. What a dream!
Quote by Shiptoni

Well...You could sweep a circle progression. That'd be pretty cool, actually.
You know what I would do if I found myself in some "shred battle"? I'd let the opponent play first, then play one note.
Call me Batman.
rusty cooley- war of the angels
its insane, or some nice sweeps or "night of the slunk" by buckethead" theres a good power tab on u-g with the first two solo's

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200