I was trying to learn the intro to Cliffs of Dover last night and I wasn't having so much trouble playing it as I was memorizing everything.

How do you pit dwellers go about learning tabs and memorizing them?
Or rather how do you go about learning solos? That's what I always have trouble with...

Is it just from lack of effort on my part to learn solos? I've only learned one solo all the way through (the one to Walk by Pantera) and I have just improvised in the solo sections in all the other songs I've learned.
Quote by Unofficial
You're right, **** being 15, you guys are all jerks.

Why would you try and state a "defense?" There's no defense for being a plain old ass.

My Roflcopter pwns your Roflcopter

Firm supporter in having a first ever drum forum
If you've got a program like Powertab or Guitar Pro use that and just play along with it.
That helps me anyway.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Learning solos and replicating them is boring. I almost always improvise.

I have always thought so too, but I'm just trying to play it to get better, not really to learn it. It' just an exercise to me.

And I have guitar pro and that helps to some degree but...
Quote by Unofficial

Why would you try and state a "defense?" There's no defense for being a plain old ass.

Quote by shredfest
If you've got a program like Powertab or Guitar Pro use that and just play along with it.
That helps me anyway.

+1
youl work on your timing 2
Quote by andy331

and i used to hump everything in sight and i had fake sex with my styuffed animals and pretended they were the pink power ranger!
i learn a few bits at a time. one bit then the next bit. then i play the two after each other.
if i know that i'll definitely won't be able to do a certain bit, i won't bother having ago until i've done the majority of the song.
all i do is learn a stage one day then practise that when ive got down that i move onto another stage for a day and perfect that.. etc etc...
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
All songs I learn are excercises to me. I notice that you memorize the positions of the fret board instead of the actual tab.

I mean think of a song you know well and try to write down the tab without your guitar in hand. Pretty hard.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Learning solos and replicating them is boring. I almost always improvise.

It is boring, and it doesn't really help you to develope your own sound. Play along with the song, when it gets to the solo, figure the key and improvise. It'll improve your playing becuase you're playing along with 'pros', so you'll push yourself to be better subconsciously. It's also not boring as hell, which was stated above by Makkakazza.

+1 to that.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Ok, well that makes me feel better. I was wondering if it were bad that I couldn't memorize the entire solo at once...

Thanks for the help
Quote by Unofficial

i find its easier to memorize it if you read music instead of tab
When I do look at tablature to learn a solo, here's what to do: Learn the entire solo; just memorize what order of notes are being played, but don't play it at the proper tempo. Play it very slowly, and work up the speed with a metronome.

But learning solos from other guitar players isn't the best exercise. Just stick with improvising, in my opinion.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
I just pick certain bits to learn that will expand my horizons.

Like Dimebag's solo in "Domination" (first one)

There are, like, 48 notes in one second, but it's only about seven different frets!!

The way he works in all those patterns and ascending/descending bits is quite creative. I started experimenting with that kinda thing after that.

I have no desire to play the entire solo, though. What am I gonna do, form a Pantera cover band? Cover bands are pretty lame, imo.

If I cover a song I make it my own. Once I did F*cked with a Knife Blues.

Doing that live could get you locked up, seriously.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Play it over and over and over again.I dont realy learn solos exactly....unless its realy quite distinctive.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Repetition.

If I forget a part I hum the song in my head, try and find the first note of the part I've forgotten, then when I've found that it usually comes back. It helps a lot if I know what it should sound like next.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Play it over and over and over again.I dont realy learn solos exactly....unless its realy quite distinctive.

Well wouldn't you say the intro to Cliffs of Dover is pretty distinctive? I don't normally do this (memorize solos) but I wanted to push myself a bit more by learning solos from guitarists I wouldn't normally listen to. Like, I hate Yngwie's sound, but I'm also working on something by him just to practice. It's just, if I don't memorize these things spot on, I won't get as good as I would otherwise.
Quote by Unofficial

Quote by schecter_guy
it's all about your specific learning style. i'm a visual learner, so i pretty much just look at the tab in my head while i'm playing.

Well I'm a kinaesthetic (spelling?) learner so I have no little mental tricks to help me remember...
Quote by Unofficial