Page 1 of 3
"I think women should not be allowed to work and must become house wives if they have children."

At first I was like "lolwut?" but then he explained, and it made 100% sense.

Think, before women could work, there were less people in jobs. Less people means that they could get payed more. When women came in, many job openings appeared. This lowered wages offered by many jobs. In today's modern America, two people are required to work to survive unless someone is rich of course.

Also, nurturing. Many children today don't get nurtured as they should since both mom and dad work. If Mom, or at least dad, stayed and played home mom/dad, children would get the love they needed. Scientists once took two monkeys and put them in simulated environments. One was a cold, hard robot that would only feed it with fake breasts. The other was a robot covered in fur that would hold and "love it". When put into the wild in a family situation, the one who was nurtured blended in, the other was extremely aggressive.

What do you think of this man's logic?

@ Title edit: <sarcasm> Thank you for allowing opinions. </sarcasm>

First off, let me point something out some people don't seem to be reading.

"If Mom, or at least dad, stayed and played home mom/dad, children would get the love they needed."

Doesn't need to exactly be woman.
Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
Last edited by Jabman at Apr 24, 2008,
I disagree entirely.

EDIT: I could write ages on this, I'll sum it down to a few bullet points...

1. LOADS of women already in professions. Huge employment gaps
2. Women's rights
3. Cutting down liberties = big no no.
4. Most children, who parents both live very demanding professional lives have come out fine.
5. Undermines the roll of the father further, something which is happening day after day.
Robot? They were crude mesh structures. One had a thin blanket of fur on it.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Lesbianism kinda kills that thought.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
"I think women should not be allowed to work and must become house wives if they have children."
someone else once had thoughts like this... oh what was his name.... oh yeah.. hitler..
Quote by skagitup
I agree, but it's not that simple, unfortunatly.

its not that easy because not all women with children are married... some are also lesbians.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
mm intruiging maybe if it's not just women like a parent should stay home, but saying that, things would start to become very imprisoned and kind of a nazi country, like ser rules tht if you have child you cannot have a job, abit to strong for my liking, it's the same if abortions were made ilegal and things like that, i beleive that allowing the choices to be made is better although in this case it's not so easy due to lower pay rates and so forth

a different argument would be...raise kids unlovingly like 1/3 when they become all like chavs and angry, kill um, therefore putting less people in jobs coz alot of them are dead which results in more money without having to force rules upon people.....who wants to live in MY society
Why does it have to be women? Why can't the men stay home and bring up their children?

Regardless, I think this is a horrible idea.
:stickpoke
Last edited by Banlieue at Apr 24, 2008,
Women work, Super high divorce rate, worse conditions for the kids.. trace it back to nature which nobody can disagree with, the mother takes care of the young thats what they were meant to do. /thread
Tell your 'clever thinking' teacher that the problem with humans is that they like to tell everyone else what they 'should' do, like women 'should' be at home, men 'should' go work.

Or tell him that teachers 'should' just teach instead of using their class as a forum to preach their own social political views. For the record, men can raise children just as well - the point isn't that WOMEN should be at home caring for them, but that one of the partners should accept responsiblity as a parent to teach their child the necessary means to survive in this world. It doesn't matter if it's the male or female.

Maybe he's like that because his mommy didn't hug him enough.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Agree.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
that is flat out wrong. tell your teacher to go back to high school economics.

women working = more competition for jobs = higher wages.

Its also a horriblly dated way of thinking about the relationship between sexes.
Quote by Craigo
I disagree entirely.

EDIT: I could write ages on this, I'll sum it down to a few bullet points...

1. LOADS of women already in professions. Huge employment gaps
2. Women's rights
3. Cutting down liberties = big no no.
4. Most children, who parents both live very demanding professional lives have come out fine.
5. Undermines the roll of the father further, something which is happening day after day.

I agree with this man.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
That's bull, more jobs didn't spring up to accommodate women. Women just filled available positions. As industry and capitalism grew the number of jobs available grew and women continued to fill them.

Take women out of the work place and you just leave gaping holes in the work force.
Quote by MattCbassist
mm intruiging maybe if it's not just women like a parent should stay home, but saying that, things would start to become very imprisoned and kind of a nazi country, like ser rules tht if you have child you cannot have a job, abit to strong for my liking, it's the same if abortions were made ilegal and things like that, i beleive that allowing the choices to be made is better although in this case it's not so easy due to lower pay rates and so forth

a different argument would be...raise kids unlovingly like 1/3 when they become all like chavs and angry, kill um, therefore putting less people in jobs coz alot of them are dead which results in more money without having to force rules upon people.....who wants to live in MY society

Except for the fact that chavs don't qualify for the good jobs.
Quote by strat0blaster
Tell your 'clever thinking' teacher that the problem with human is that they like to tell everyone else what they 'should' do, like women 'should' be at home, men 'should' go work.

Or tell him that teachers 'should' just teach instead of using their class as a forum to preach their own social political views.

What the hell? So there isn't allowed to be debates in the class room? He's teaching an alternative view which can be very much relevant to the question.

All good teachers don't limit themselves to JUST teaching.
I agree with your teacher.

Of course, it'll never happen in America. That's degrading to women, or something.
Nope. None at all.
Quote by MattCbassist
maybe if it's not just women like a parent should stay home

+2. and an e-cookie.

EDIT: I think that, from an evolutionary point of view, women are more geared towards parenting than men. they have breasts (for milk), females often take care of their young in many other mammal species, secrete different hormones that allow the mother to bond with the child, and give birth.

Mind you, i stand by the opinion noted by MattCbassist.
And, because women used to be forced to stay home, they were treated badly.
Last edited by restless_thrash at Apr 24, 2008,
no women shouldnt be kicked out of jobs or get less oppurtunities, but maybe one parent should stay at home for the child, wheather thats a father or a mother it doesnt matter. this should be enforced as a law tho
Quote by HexaDakota

Of course, it'll never happen in America. That's degrading to women, or something.

of course it ****ing is.

how would you like to be told "its best you just stay here at home and **** up the rest of your life"
Quote by Craigo
What the hell? So there isn't allowed to be debates in the class room? He's teaching an alternative view which can be very much relevant to the question.

All good teachers don't limit themselves to JUST teaching.

You, my friend, just debunked your own argument by making the same point that I did. If there is allowed to be debating, you should have accepted that as my stand, and rebutted instead of getting personally upset about it

Either way, I don't agree with him or you. It's not his job to influence how you view the world in a personal way - it's his job to teach you facts objectively unless you're in a philosophy or interpersonal relations course that dictates discussions like this. Or as you said you're in a debate course, in which case he should give an objective argument stance without putting his personal views into it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by HexaDakota

It's fundamentally flawed. It'd do far, far, far more harm than good.
Quote by Marrklarr
that is flat out wrong. tell your teacher to go back to high school economics.

women working = more competition for jobs = higher wages.

Its also a horriblly dated way of thinking about the relationship between sexes.

Err, more competition for jobs = more people willing to work for worse circumstances.
Quote by Marrklarr
of course it ****ing is.

how would you like to be told "its best you just stay here at home and **** up the rest of your life"

**** Up at home? I think that is the most best thing a mother can do is.. be a mother..
Quote by strat0blaster
Tell your 'clever thinking' teacher that the problem with humans is that they like to tell everyone else what they 'should' do, like women 'should' be at home, men 'should' go work.

Or tell him that teachers 'should' just teach instead of using their class as a forum to preach their own social political views. For the record, men can raise children just as well - the point isn't that WOMEN should be at home caring for them, but that one of the partners should accept responsiblity as a parent to teach their child the necessary means to survive in this world. It doesn't matter if it's the male or female.

I said Men or Women in the text.
Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
Quote by frankv
Err, more competition for jobs = more people willing to work for worse circumstances.

you too, go take economics.
Quote by Banlieue
You can work and still be a mother.

You can. Unfortunately, though, how to actually do it eludes most people.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Be logic. Keeping women from working won't increase the wage of the husband that much. It would be more profitable to have 2 working parents. Yes, nurturing is a bit of an issue, but there are always solutions
Quote by DeadMeadow
Sorry, a GOOD mother

My mother did well, I think.
:stickpoke
Quote by strat0blaster
You, my friend, just debunked your own argument by making the same point that I did. If there is allowed to be debating, you should have accepted that as my stand, and rebutted instead of getting personally upset about it

Either way, I don't agree with him or you. It's not his job to influence how you view the world in a personal way - it's his job to teach you facts objectively unless you're in a philosophy or interpersonal relations course that dictates discussions like this. Or as you said you're in a debate course, in which case he should give an objective argument stance without putting his person views into it.

I had two separate arguments. One is that teachers should bring up their own views in a debateful way, and the other is that good teachers don't limit themselves to just teaching. How does that contradict themselves?

Exposing kids to further context gains further interest, getting them more involved and interested in the subject, which is effective in the manner that they will find it easier to revise and learn it, because they find it more enjoyable.

EDIT: Social studies is a subject which should always be open to question and debate.
Quote by Jabman
I said Men or Women in the text.

Touche - you did. My bad. Looks like I debunked my own argument as well by not paying attention well enough

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by DeadMeadow
**** Up at home? I think that is the most best thing a mother can do is.. be a mother..

what about the father?

honestly guys its the 21st century.
Quote by Banlieue
My mother did well, I think.

Where was you when you was young while she was working?
Quote by Marrklarr
what about the father?

honestly guys its the 21st century.

Nature > 21st Century
Page 1 of 3