I am running a Marshall JVM with Tugsol 12AX7's in v1 - v4 and a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the phase inverter with JJ E34L power tubes.

My clean channel on the amp gets to agressive and breaks up to much in high volume play. I am using active pickups FYI.

Can someone with tube knowledge recommend a good preamp tube to lessen the gain and breakup on my clean channel and give me more clean headroom? prehaps a 12AY7? Idk. Also which preamp position is the clean channel?

Thanks
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
12AY7 might be a little too much reduction - try an AT7 first and see if that's enough for you. A decent NOS like the Mullard or telefunken would be naturally great if you're willing to spend the extra cash, though I hear the JJ current run is good.

EDIT: Also try a 12AT7 in the phase inverter slot - it'll lower the gain and soften up the whole amp. Unless you have the lead's gain on full, you'll still be able to get great lead sounds out of it, though perhaps a little smoother.
Last edited by kyle62 at Apr 24, 2008,
I only want less gain on my clean channel. My lead channel is good where is it. I want to keep my lead channel tight and punchy.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
^

Good thought. I tried that and it doesnt work for me. Im too picky. Money isnt an issue here either. No $1000 tubes of course, but I am will to spend some money for NOS tubes that will give me what Im looking for.

Where is that Colin Guy? I know he is a bible of tubes and tube amps.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Last edited by Ubershall404 at Apr 24, 2008,
Try a 5751. They have more gain that the 12AT7, less than the 12AX7.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Yea.. if you change the tube the character of you amp will change. Just get a good Fender for your cleans and A/B it if youre so picky.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
mm, agreed. if you wanna change the character of your clean channel, changing a tube isn't only going to affect the clean channel. and you could get colin's attention by posting in his tube sticky.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I was under the impression that if just the one preamp tube for the clean socket was changed just the clean channel would be affected?
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
your guitar's signal goes through every tube (and most components) no matter what channel is being used.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Not necessarily, it depends on the switching in the amp. ^

Give me a schematic and I'll tell you if the channels share tubes or use separate ones.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
son of a bee. i shoulda put an 'afaik' disclaimer...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.