Hey I bought a guitar recently, just to see if i can pick it up again seeing as I have played it before and drifted off from it.

My problem with the guitar right now is that when I tune it according to the 5th fret of the string and 4th and so on, (you know the manual way of tuning), after i'm finished the tuning in actuality is totally off wack. It's technically in tune but when I play a song it really shows how off it is. And it sounds horrible.

When i go to the piano and play the notes and tune the guitar that way, i check it using manual tuning it's totally off... it sounds a little more on tune but it still really shows when i'm playing

I've read and i'm guessing it's an intonation problem and so i've tried to adjust it, using the 12th fret fretted/harmonic technique and tried to adjust the bridge.

This is where I ran into yet another problem.

You know how if the fretted 12th is sharper then the harmonic 12th you move the bridge away, so as to lengthen the speech area.

BUT

I've moved my bridge as far away as it can go. and the 12th fretted is still sharper...
I've also just given up and tried to move the bridge totally forward to see if i can get any change in the tune at all. And nothing.

wtf?

it seems like (all i'm trying to do is the low E string right now) the bridge isn't effecting the intonation at all...

maybe i'm doing something wrong or there is another adjustment i can do.

help?
k, theres one thing i see here...

every method of tuning you are using is requiring having a good ear...

and as you say, you havent been doing gutiar for awhile, so you may not be as accurate at matching the pitches...

get ahold of an electric tuner and see if there is still a problem

if there is, you need to check the intonation more...

hope you get it figured out.
Guitar is LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by pinktie
k, theres one thing i see here...

every method of tuning you are using is requiring having a good ear...

and as you say, you havent been doing gutiar for awhile, so you may not be as accurate at matching the pitches...

get ahold of an electric tuner and see if there is still a problem

if there is, you need to check the intonation more...

hope you get it figured out.

Yeah I've thought of that... So went and tested my ear on a friends acoustic.

When i tuned it manually it was dead on when tested against his tuner throughout all the strings.

Maybe the guitar's a lemon?

Has anyone else had this problem
uh... nope. Only thing is once a while back, i wasn't that good at tuning by ear, and it sounded dead on, or what i thought, but when i played it' was dead OFF. So i bought a tuner! yay!
O O

___
well he said it was dead on the tuner too though...

but id still suggest just getting a tuner to tune it up...

if theres still a problem id have the guitar looked at by someone...
Guitar is LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!