well, i was just at my last band practice where i was going to run my peavey 6505+ head direct into the pa system through the preamp out on the back panel..

so i grabbed one of the spare instrument cables lying around and hooked her up..

turns out that when i plug in, I get this horrible buzzy weak tone while my regular cab/1/2 stack sits in the corner with a full rich thrash tone...

I can crank down on the gain all i want but still get this horrible buzzy weak sound..

what's even crazier is that my friend who plays rhythm for the band has a jsx, and he runs that straight into the pa..

and he doesn't have this problem. His guitar tone is full and sounds the same through the pa as it does his cab..

is there any ideas as to why my amp sounds so bad when i run directly?
Why do you have to run it straight into the PA anyway?

Well it may be a mismatch in impedences.. do the PA speakers match the head?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
WHy not run it through your cab?
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
I now nothing about the head but if theres multiple outputs is it possible you plugged it into the wrong one. If not you could just mic it up?
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by Exhumed&Impaled
well, i was just at my last band practice where i was going to run my peavey 6505+ head direct into the pa system through the preamp out on the back panel..

so i grabbed one of the spare instrument cables lying around and hooked her up..

turns out that when i plug in, I get this horrible buzzy weak tone while my regular cab/1/2 stack sits in the corner with a full rich thrash tone...

I can crank down on the gain all i want but still get this horrible buzzy weak sound..

what's even crazier is that my friend who plays rhythm for the band has a jsx, and he runs that straight into the pa..

and he doesn't have this problem. His guitar tone is full and sounds the same through the pa as it does his cab..

is there any ideas as to why my amp sounds so bad when i run directly?

Plugging direct into a PA never gives particularly good results - you want some sort of DI box or speaker simulator in between. If you want to use the PA just mic the cab, you'll get much better results. Also it was a preamp out, therefore you were missing out the power amp...what you need is a line out from the power amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Plugging direct into a PA never gives particularly good results - you want some sort of DI box or speaker simulator in between. If you want to use the PA just mic the cab, you'll get much better results. Also it was a preamp out, therefore you were missing out the power amp...what you need is a line out from the power amp.

correct me if I'm wrong: so I need a direct box in order to bring it up to line level for running through the pa ?
Quote by Exhumed&Impaled
correct me if I'm wrong: so I need a direct box in order to bring it up to line level for running through the pa ?

It's not so much that, you just need a direct box to stop it sounding like ass

You'll be getting a line-level signal from the preamp, but if things sounded good direct from the preamp we wouldn't need poweramps You need something that's going to compensate for the missing poweramp stage and ideally the missing cabinet if you want it to sound anywere near half decent DI'd.

Guitar amps aren't designed to be DI'd, they're designed to sound good with cabs. The best way to use the PA is simply to mic the cab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by stradivari310
Why do you have to run it straight into the PA anyway?

Well it may be a mismatch in impedences.. do the PA speakers match the head?

Impedance doesn't matter from the preamp. It sounds like **** because you aren't running it through the poweramp...
Quote by Say Ocean
Impedance doesn't matter from the preamp. It sounds like **** because you aren't running it through the poweramp...

haha so you're saying i need to run through a power amp, then hook it up to the mixer?

If that's what you mean, it sounds like i'd end up blowing the mixer to ****..

At least, that's how i understood you. I apologize if i didn't get your message right.
Mic it.. its your best option.. If you want to direct in you just as soon get like a Line 6 pod pro or something sell your amp and spend the cash on like a jetski or something lol
if you want to get the signal after your poweramp, along with a speaker sim, the Palmer units work really well. It takes the powered signal and converts it to line level for your PA. It has an XLR out for running into the board. They also have their own filters for cabinet simulation. The more expensive ones can be run like an attenuator, and have a built in load, where the cheaper PDI-09 still needs a cabinet load. Satriani records a lot of his material with the Palmer units afaik.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
if you want to get the signal after your poweramp, along with a speaker sim, the Palmer units work really well. It takes the powered signal and converts it to line level for your PA. It has an XLR out for running into the board. They also have their own filters for cabinet simulation. The more expensive ones can be run like an attenuator, and have a built in load, where the cheaper PDI-09 still needs a cabinet load. Satriani records a lot of his material with the Palmer units afaik.

Lol i forgot about you and those Palmers, i was just listening to some of your stuff last night that you recorded DI...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Lol i forgot about you and those Palmers, i was just listening to some of your stuff last night that you recorded DI...

yeah, I actually like them quite a bit. They work surprisingly well for DI and silent recording. The PDI09 is not crazy expensive either, only about $160 new. You still need a speaker load or loadbox with it however.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I actually like them quite a bit. They work surprisingly well for DI and silent recording. The PDI09 is not crazy expensive either, only about $160 new. You still need a speaker load or loadbox with it however.

Yup, your recordings were great as always. If i get another crazy schedule for our next shift bids i might have to look into one. Trying to record at 1am with your volume on like .4 sucks...lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, your recordings were great as always. If i get another crazy schedule for our next shift bids i might have to look into one. Trying to record at 1am with your volume on like .4 sucks...lol

thanks man. Yeah, they work great for silent recording. It's kind of cool to be cranking a 100W tube amp in the middle of night thru headphones.
amp clips
amp vids