I'm a noob when it comes to purchasing graphics cards because this is my first time doing it... well I was wondering if any of you could help me with this? I have a Gateway GT5432... so is this a good card for my computer? I'm looking toward playing Bioshock/Crysis without setting everything to medium or low quality...
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Yeah, that's a good card. However, your telling us you have a Gateway GT5432 really doesn't help anything in the slightest.

Well I figured you could look up the specs. Tell me what you need and I can give it to you. I'm a noob with graphics cards, but I wouldn't say I'm terrible with computers.. hardware maybe a little.
that card should give you crysis with everything set to high if you run it in DX 9

i run everything on high with the textures set to medium at 1024*768 with a 8600 GT but i only have a 3.4 gig P4 with 2 gigs of ram...soo....
EDIT: it gets good frame rates, so that should run crysis well for you

what you need is to make sure that you have a PCI express motherboard (should tell you on the case) , and that your computer EXCEEDS the minimum power requirements
Last edited by Chad11491 at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by lololololol
I'm a noob when it comes to purchasing graphics cards because this is my first time doing it... well I was wondering if any of you could help me with this? I have a Gateway GT5432... so is this a good card for my computer? I'm looking toward playing Bioshock/Crysis without setting everything to medium or low quality...

Bioshock will run fine with that...

Don't plan on getting stellar framerates on crysis with it though...Unless you have a good core 2 duo processor as well...

You'll probably get around 20-25 fps on settings over medium at full resolution. And for FPS games I say anything under 30fps are unplayable settings...
Well now that I know it will run what I want, can you guys possibly tell me if it will work with my computer? Tell me what you need to know and I'll give it to you.. also I would appreciate it very much if you could tell me what to look for when buying these things... as I only know about RAM upgrades, etc... I'm not aware of the overheating dangers of these things.
Quote by lololololol
Well now that I know it will run what I want, can you guys possibly tell me if it will work with my computer? Tell me what you need to know and I'll give it to you.. also I would appreciate it very much if you could tell me what to look for when buying these things... as I only know about RAM upgrades, etc... I'm not aware of the overheating dangers of these things.

Give us your processor model and clock speed.

Make sure you have a PCI Express bus on your motherboard.

What kind of ram do you have and how much.
Quote by Jugthug42
Give us your processor model and clock speed.

Make sure you have a PCI Express bus on your motherboard.

What kind of ram do you have and how much.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 dual-core processor. My ram type is DDR2 and I have about 1 gig but I'm getting another before I get the card.
I looked up your specs and with that card you'll be fine. Apparently you're currently using an integrated Nvidia 6150SE - yuck.

You might also want to get another gig of RAM but see how you do with the new card first.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
I looked up your specs and with that card you'll be fine. Apparently you're currently using an integrated Nvidia 6150SE - yuck.

You might also want to get another gig of RAM but see how you do with the new card first.

By another gig you mean altogether 2? Or 3 including the one I said I was gonna get? Also I upgraded my graphics card to an ATI when I bought it so that's not the card I'm using. I still regret getting an ATI though.
Oh right didn't see that in your post above sorry. I meant 2 total
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Oh right didn't see that in your post above sorry. I meant 2 total

Ok thanks. Thanks everyone I really appreciate it..
Ive got a similiar 8800GT from Evga. First thing I had to do was replace my power supply. My card has to have at least a 400 watt psu with at least 26 amps on the 12 volt rail. I didnt read that and intstalled with my 500 watt psu. My system started acting real flaky when i was playing BF2 all the way up. Found out my 500 watter only had a total of 12 amps on the pci-e connector. My vid card was sucking power from other stuff on my system. Not a good thing. CAn cause damage to your whole system. Anyhoo I bet your GAteway doesnt have enough juice to run the card. Check your psu out and make damn sure its good before you buy.
Fender MIM Fat Strat
Jackson Dk2m Dinky Pro
Jackson DKMGT
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
The 9600GT is also worth looking into.
All your base are belong to us.
Expansion Slots Total (Free)
1 ( 0 ) x Processor - LGA775 Socket, 2 ( 0 ) x Memory - DIMM 240-pin, 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16, 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1, 2 ( 1 ) x PCI

Just so you know, I was in the EXACT SAME SITUATION as your are in right now, except I was doing this 2 months ago.

Currently, as said by CNET, you do not have an avialable PCI-2.0 slot, so, sadly, you won't be able to purcahse the said card.

What I would reccomend doing is finding a card that is PCI Express x16. I bought the 8600GTS and it runs great for my standards. Also, think about getting more RAM. I'd reccomend buying a 2 GB stick. You only have 2 RAM slots and each are taken up by on 512MB stick, so you will need to remove of the 512 sticks and replace it with a 2GB stick.
If you end up getting a new video card, you'll need to upgrade your power supply. Since your computer is most likely stock hardware, the power supply will be low. I have 630W right now and I'm running great.

If you'd like to know my stock system, check this out: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/compaq-presario-sr5130nx-athlon/4507-3118_7-32472851.html
And here is your computer's complete specifications: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-gt5432-athlon-64/4507-3118_7-32401791.html

And here is the links to the hardware I purchased for my computer, and will be compatable with yours:
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS
Kingston 2GB RAM
630W Power supply

Hope this works ^_^

By the way, I can run CoD4 at max settings and 1024x768 resolution with frame rates at about 40FPS, though on rare occasions, it drops below 30. I could run bioshock on max settings at the same resolution, but I have yet to play Crysis.
I can also feel your pain on the dreaded 6150SE... I was getting 20 FPS max on CoD4 at lowest settings... it was so painful...
Last edited by RPGoof at Apr 24, 2008,
^ The card he linked to works in a PCI express x16 slot so he doesn't have to get an 8600.

From wikipedia:

PCI Express 2.0

PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007.[6] PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 0.25 Gbyte/s to 0.5 Gbyte/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 Gbyte/s in each direction.

PCIe 2.0 is backward and forward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa. In some rare cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

The PCI-SIG also said PCIe 2.0 also features improvements to the point-to-point data transfer protocol and its software architecture.[7]

In June 2007 Intel released the specification of the P35 chipset which does not support PCIe 2.0 only PCIe 1.1.[8] Some people may be confused by the P35 block diagram[9] which states the Intel P35 has a PCIe x16 graphics link (8 GB/s) and 6 PCIe x1 links (500 MB/s each), for simple verification one can view the P965 block diagram which shows the same number of lanes and bandwidth but was released before PCIe 2.0 was finalized. Intel's first PCIe 2.0 capable chipset is the X38 and boards are already shipping from various vendors (Abit, Asus, Gigabyte) as of October 21, 2007.[10] AMD started supporting PCIe 2.0 with its RD700 chipset series. NVIDIA has revealed that the MCP72 will be their first PCIe 2.0 equipped chipset.[11]

Edit:

Also with the RAM I'd recommend ditching the 512mb sticks and putting in 2 x 1GB sticks (not 1 x 2GB), if the sticks are matched this will let them run in dual channel mode (motherboard dependent). Its not like you'll ever be putting more than 4 gigs in that machine anyway so only having 2 free slots is no problem.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by Axeman99
^ The card he linked to works in a PCI express x16 slot so he doesn't have to get an 8600.

But it's PCI Express 2.0 16x... Is that necessarily compatible with PCI Express 1.0?
Quote by RPGoof
Expansion Slots Total (Free)
1 ( 0 ) x Processor - LGA775 Socket, 2 ( 0 ) x Memory - DIMM 240-pin, 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16, 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1, 2 ( 1 ) x PCI

Just so you know, I was in the EXACT SAME SITUATION as your are in right now, except I was doing this 2 months ago.

Currently, as said by CNET, you do not have an avialable PCI-2.0 slot, so, sadly, you won't be able to purcahse the said card.

What I would reccomend doing is finding a card that is PCI Express x16. I bought the 8600GTS and it runs great for my standards. Also, think about getting more RAM. I'd reccomend buying a 2 GB stick. You only have 2 RAM slots and each are taken up by on 512MB stick, so you will need to remove of the 512 sticks and replace it with a 2GB stick.
If you end up getting a new video card, you'll need to upgrade your power supply. Since your computer is most likely stock hardware, the power supply will be low. I have 630W right now and I'm running great.

If you'd like to know my stock system, check this out: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/compaq-presario-sr5130nx-athlon/4507-3118_7-32472851.html
And here is your computer's complete specifications: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-gt5432-athlon-64/4507-3118_7-32401791.html

And here is the links to the hardware I purchased for my computer, and will be compatable with yours:
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS
Kingston 2GB RAM
630W Power supply

Hope this works ^_^

By the way, I can run CoD4 at max settings and 1024x768 resolution with frame rates at about 40FPS, though on rare occasions, it drops below 30. I could run bioshock on max settings at the same resolution, but I have yet to play Crysis.
I can also feel your pain on the dreaded 6150SE... I was getting 20 FPS max on CoD4 at lowest settings... it was so painful...

Ahhh... I'm so glad I decided to check this thread again or I wouldn't have even noticed that.. anyway I'm still hellbent on an 8800GT.. looks like I'll have to fork over more cash than I thought.. Oh well.. I'm really illiterate when it comes to hardware so I should have expected that, but thanks a lot for the information/links. You could have just told me I couldn't use the card, but you offered additional advice and I appreciate it. Also I run 1440x900 res so we'll see how that works..
Quote by lololololol
Ahhh... I'm so glad I decided to check this thread again or I wouldn't have even noticed that.. anyway I'm still hellbent on an 8800GT.. looks like I'll have to fork over more cash than I thought.. Oh well.. I'm really illiterate when it comes to hardware so I should have expected that, but thanks a lot for the information/links. You could have just told me I couldn't use the card, but you offered additional advice and I appreciate it. Also I run 1440x900 res so we'll see how that works..

Well I'm pretty sure you can use the card now. The other dude said 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0, so you could probably take your chances and get the better card.
Really.. well ok I'll look into all of this. I really appreciate the help guys. I asked on another forum and you don't wanna know the results. Once I mentioned I had a Gateway it was all over lol
Yeah if I'm honest a Gateway isn't going to be built for gaming lol but it should do the trick with an 8800 under the hood.

I'm definitely sure about the backwards compatibility of PCI Express 1.x and 2.0 slots, the memory i'm not 100% on but I'd still go for 2x1GB over 1x2GB because if one stick goes you still have 1 working one.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Yeah if I'm honest a Gateway isn't going to be built for gaming lol but it should do the trick with an 8800 under the hood.

I'm definitely sure about the backwards compatibility of PCI Express 1.x and 2.0 slots, the memory i'm not 100% on but I'd still go for 2x1GB over 1x2GB because if one stick goes you still have 1 working one.

Yeah that makes alot of sense... I've got one 512 and one 2GB, and its got 2.5GB overall (duh) but I guess you're right if one fails...
Its a shame 2x1GB is more expensive (probably) D: