so i have a Floyd Rose guitar and i keep it in standard because most of the songs i play are in that. But sometimes i like to play drop D songs. I was looking at the EVH drop D tuner thingy but i didnt feel like spending 50 bux for like 3 springs and a few screws. I realized you can drop tune the guitar just by unscrewing the first fine tuner until it hits D. is this bad for the guitar. there must be some reason why doing that is a bad idea and you have to pay 50 dollars for the tuning system to go to drop D or else its a useless overpriced piece of crap.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
you put the E string 7th fret and make it match the A string and match them up like the 5th fret thing.
Quote by Mister_noodle
you put the E string 7th fret and make it match the A string and match them up like the 5th fret thing.

yea i know that im just wondering if its bad to have it in Drop D when the fine tuners were originally in standard
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
It's not bad for your guitar to simply tune down the low E string to a low D. From the looks of the thing, the purpose is to just make that process a lot faster (e.g. if you're switching from standard to drop D between songs but don't want to switch guitars, or have an extra guitar to switch out to). So, while it may not be a necessity for most people who play in their homes or play exclusively in standard or drop D while occasionally dabbling in the other tuning, for people who do gigs or otherwise play in bands that require both tunings as well as switching them on the fly, it might be a useful tool.
actually, it is KINDA bad to do that a lot. what happens is, the tension in the neck bows it so it can conform and you have uniform sound for longer that when you switch it out a lot. if you do change tunings a lot, the neck can start twisting the wrong way and break.

its happened to me before.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H