i need some help coming up with some riffs like Smells like teen spirit (i hate the song but its catchy), Breed, really catchy stuff grunge stuff not like soundgarden grunge or Screaming trees grunge like the softer stuff but i meen like Mudhoney and nirvana grunge anyone have tips?
Step 1: Pick up guitar

Step 2: Learn as many Nirvana/Alice In Chains/whatever songs can be bothered

Step 3: Plagiarize
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
i cant just copy a song.....i want to make up my own riffs not steal other bands then its just like playing their songs...unless i peice together parts of songs
Quote by Highbinder
Step 1: Pick up guitar

Step 2: Learn as many Nirvana/Alice In Chains/whatever songs can be bothered

Step 3: Plagiarize

This.

After you learn a lot of songs, you end up plagiarizing without even realizing it.
What I mean is, once you've built up a repertoire it'll come naturally. You might not realise it but whatever you've learnt will directly influence what you end up making up. Therefore if you want to write grunge you need to learn grunge. Theres no harm in ripping ideas from other bands as long as you make it your own.

Thats how I see it, anyway.

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
1st oFF Alice in Chains is metal not grundge they just got lumped into grunge because they came out during that era and so the grunge community took them in
2 off just follow the method and listen or learn as many grunge songs as possible to get a feel for how they are played wirtten etc, and also good luck with a gunge band, fitting in to the mainstream is so typical (i speak of post grunge as well here now called "alternative")
u really want then i can give u some grunge riffs which are of no use to me as i turned to metal.....
Quote by F8iscruel
1st oFF Alice in Chains is metal not grundge they just got lumped into grunge because they came out during that era and so the grunge community took them in
2 off just follow the method and listen or learn as many grunge songs as possible to get a feel for how they are played wirtten etc, and also good luck with a gunge band, fitting in to the mainstream is so typical (i speak of post grunge as well here now called "alternative")

Not that I know much but Alice In Chains = 90s band, seatle scene. Sounds like grunge to me..

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
As crazy as it sounds, filter out all music aside from the type you'd like to play. Listen to that for a few solid months and it will have a major effect on your song writing, atleast in my case. Oh, and for the record, you don't have to hate SLTS because Kurt did.
i just hate it becouse it gets boring after awhile and all the kids who dont even like nirvana say their nirvana fans becouse of that song....im like the only 14 year old at my school taht dont hate that song...
you don't hate it...I thought you just said you hate it....??
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Quote by Highbinder
Not that I know much but Alice In Chains = 90s band, seatle scene. Sounds like grunge to me..

my point exactly just because they were out in the 90s and came from seattle they were a grunge band, listen to man in a box, rooster , would, nutshell, they play so cleanly and cantrells guitar is so crisp theyre a old school style metal band or a rock band your choice but there is no way that they are grunge
Last edited by F8iscruel at Apr 24, 2008,
come as you are is a pretty easy beginner song...if teen spirit is not your thing
MY GEAR!
Fender Starcaster
Epiphone SG Custom Shop LE
Vox AD15VT
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell

Kirk Hammett = my half filipino metal idol :P
Chorus/distortion. Dist. off during quiet parts. on during loud parts. Make some part of the song slightly dissonant and you've got the whole nirvana/pixies thing going.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by rockon1824
Get as much distortion as possible and then sloppily play power chords.

He said grunge, not punk

--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by F8iscruel

Not all alternative is 'post-grunge'. Alternative was used to describe a different style of rock all through the 80s then grunge did.

Grunge overlaps heavily with metal, punk and alternative. AiC are both metal and grunge.

Anyways, OP, learn some simple punk songs, learn some simple older heavy metal and classic rock songs. Learn some grunge songs. Pick and choose elements as you wish. Top with some Big Muff.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by F8iscruel
my point exactly just because they were out in the 90s and came from seattle they were a grunge band, listen to man in a box, rooster , would, nutshell, they play so cleanly and cantrells guitar is so crisp theyre a old school style metal band or a rock band your choice but there is no way that they are grunge

Sorry bud, Alice in Chains is a grunge band with a metal influence, same way Pearl Jam is a grunge band with a classic rock influence.

And to the TS, Just emerge yourself into grunge, listen to as much as possible, get a big muff pi and a small clone, even start wearing flannel shirts if that helps. Also if you want to write stuff like Kurt did, you might want to listen to his influences, such as the Pixies, or the Melvins.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Listen and learn alot of grunge and grunge influences (old school punk, metal, new age, etc)
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by tincho729
He said grunge, not punk

Anyway, it seems like Kurt Cobain just threw some random chords together. He had a knack for writing catchy, interesting melodies, though.
QUOTE]
They had a heavy sound like metal, but had lyrics that I see are more typical of an alternative rock band (lyrically they fit right into the grunge scene). I personally see them as the fist Alternative Metal band, fusing elements of alternative lyrics and playing with the heaviness of metal, not to mention the acoustic songs they did ,which was not typical of metal.
The only grunge bands that sounded different than any bands in the mid-late 80's / early 90's were those grunge bands that were heavily influenced by Black Flag, Sex Pistols, The Beatles, Hendrix, etc...

The bands such as Nirvana & Mudhoney that were much more punk influenced ended up using techniques seen in all of those bands.

You can hear the Hendrix influence in Nirvana's "Blew", and MANY mudhoney songs...The Black Flag influence...well...almost all of Nirvana's "bleach" album sounds like something black flag would play, same goes for alot of the tracks on Mudhoneys debut album "Superfuzzz Bigmuff"....in both of those albums you can also hear the Sex Pistols influence. songs from Nirvana's Nevermind had the catchyness of the beatles with agressiveness of Black Flag & The Sex Pistols.

other heavily punk influenced grunge/riot grrl bands : Bikini Kill, Green River, L7, etc..

IMO bands such as Soundgarden, AiC, STP are only considered grunge because of their location.

TS : if you wanna write some "grungy" riffs I'd start with powerchord progressions, with some hendrix-ish/bluesy fills/lead riffs...Learn mudhoney songs....Steve turner is really good at taking bluesy leads and making them fit into punk riffs really well.
Quote by F8iscruel

considering grunge isn't aspecific sound (e.e the difference in sound between ALL of the big four) Alice In Chains are then a grunge metal band.

btw, what does everyo think of Will Duvall? i'm seeing them in February.
Quote by cd>mp3
considering grunge isn't aspecific sound (e.e the difference in sound between ALL of the big four) Alice In Chains are then a grunge metal band.

btw, what does everyo think of Will Duvall? i'm seeing them in February.

Meh, i saw him in 2007...Layne was better, but he's okay.
honestly, don't have any bands in mind at all when you write a song if you want it to sound original. copying somebody else's work, or trying to write a song like it will only get you scorn
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss