A little backstory first: this all started about a week or so ago when I was listening to/playing my song blind destruction. I had already gone back and edited it once, but I still didn't think the song had reached it's full potential yet. So I started going through and changed around some of the melodies and added another pre-chorus/chorus as well as an acoustic intro (big suprise huh?).

Then I rearranged the whole thing for a seven string and I got rid of the outro and added a string then piano thing. Then it just kind of evolved from there into a whole other song. So basically parts I and II are one song and part III is a whole other song. The reason I put them in one tab is because it's how it would sound on an album. It's two seperate songs.

Anyways, enough of the massive writing, hope you enjoy. I'll do crit for crit too, and I'd really appreciate more detailed crits on this one and the favor shall be returned
Attachments:
Newest Song.zip
Last edited by zakatak9389 at May 6, 2008,
omg dude that song is so awesome (im usually not that asskissing type of guy)
sorry cant give you any specific but the melodies are really catchy, sounds great even on guitar pro! reminds me of in flames and killswitch in places
As I told you, it's an awesome piece of music. Honestly, you've outdone yourself with this one.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Well, I'll start out by saying this is one of the better songs I've seen here lately. I'll crit just parts I & II for now:

The acoustic intro was great, but until the lead came in I was a bit wary. But the whole duration of part I was fantastic. It reminded me slightly of my own acoustic work. Part II was pure melodic goodness. A lot of the riffs, if slightly generic (in a good way - when it works, it works), are all excellent. The use of octaves in the chorus = win. I also liked the lead you put over the second verse as well, it was probably my favorite part of the song. The transition from 162 to 163, though, the lead on the pre-chorus is a bit hard to hear after the higher register of verse lead.

The acoustic interlude was very calming, in a sense. While I though the transition at bar 215 was great, I was still sort of expecting a bigger buildup to the pre-solo. The pre-solo itself is good, it serves as a good base for a good solo. From then on, everything goes smoothly.

The only things that bothered me was the usage of the seven string. It wasn't used much, just for a few lower power chords here and there, and when it was used, you could barely tell due to the keys. In part I, drums, even just a little light work, could even make it better. In my opinion, of course. It's fine as it it.

In total, awesome job. An easy 9/10.

Crit my latest?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835965
That was a great song! I honestly can't tell you to improve anything as I can'tdo it any better.

Keep up the good job!
My rig:

Jackson JS30DKT Hardtail
Behringer UM100 Pedal
Peavy Blazer 158 amp.
Quote by Broadsword
Well, I'll start out by saying this is one of the better songs I've seen here lately. I'll crit just parts I & II for now:

The acoustic intro was great, but until the lead came in I was a bit wary. But the whole duration of part I was fantastic. It reminded me slightly of my own acoustic work. Part II was pure melodic goodness. A lot of the riffs, if slightly generic (in a good way - when it works, it works), are all excellent. The use of octaves in the chorus = win. I also liked the lead you put over the second verse as well, it was probably my favorite part of the song. The transition from 162 to 163, though, the lead on the pre-chorus is a bit hard to hear after the higher register of verse lead.

The acoustic interlude was very calming, in a sense. While I though the transition at bar 215 was great, I was still sort of expecting a bigger buildup to the pre-solo. The pre-solo itself is good, it serves as a good base for a good solo. From then on, everything goes smoothly.

The only things that bothered me was the usage of the seven string. It wasn't used much, just for a few lower power chords here and there, and when it was used, you could barely tell due to the keys. In part I, drums, even just a little light work, could even make it better. In my opinion, of course. It's fine as it it.

In total, awesome job. An easy 9/10.

Crit my latest?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835965

Thanks man. I guess you're right about about that transfer to bar 163 is kinda off, but tbh I just copy and pasted the pre-chorus there without listening to it really haha. And now that you mention it, I kinda want to go back and do some drums in the intro and maybe expand on it a little more. I'd also like to hear you're thoughts on part III
Cool, a new song from Zach!

I'll crit it tomorrow, I don't have GP on this computer.
Signature temporarily empty
That...Was amazing!

Seriously, The intro..then to the amazing riffs.
God..that was..To good for words.

It was brilliant..
Hopefully one day this song will be completly finished, with the actuall recording of it. that would be..um..orgasmic? xD

Keep it up!

God that was good..

Crit mine? metal song
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
Last edited by Blooddawning at Apr 26, 2008,
One word : amazing ! Really, that's one great piece there! The song is *almost* perfect as it is, and I personally would only change some minor things in it.

The intro was really cool, a great way to build up the mood for the heavier part. Part II was great as well, though imo the verse sounded like a chorus and the pre-chorus sounded like a verse . Not a big problem there, as it could easily be rectified by vocals, albeit without the presence of vocals there it's kinda hard to tell. Might I add that the use octaves in the chorus is made of pure win.

The transition at 167 was to me kinda bland, but the part after that is really nice and soothing. My only complaint is that the strings were too loud, as imo the acoustic guitars should be the main focus, not the strings.

I was expecting a build-up with a lead for the pre-solo, but whatever, it's still nice anyway. The solo was cool, although it's kinda too short for me, and the post-solo entered too late, after the overall mood started to drop. But the solo at part III made up for it, so, yeah .

The keys were a bit slow on the transition to part III. I think 1 bar instead of 2 for each note should suffice. The intro of part III was really good. The lead is really melodic and emotional, although I think the delay is a bit too loud.

Again, I thought that the chorus was a riff. It's kinda hard to tell without a vocals. Verse II is made of epic and win, but I think Pre-chorus B1 is a bit too long, and the repeat was not necessary.

Not a fan of key changes in general, so I didn't enjoy that part very much, but it's a matter of preference. But it did served as a nice build-up for the solo. As I've said before, the solo is really great, and it's pure win. Again, I didn't enjoy the key change after that, but there was nothing wrong with it.

Solo B2 was also epic, although I think the solo would be a better ending to the song than the chorus. I think the last chorus was a bit unnecessary, and you should have just used an outro solo for the ending. And again, I think the delay is too loud.

Well, that's it for the crit. Overall, that is an *AWESOME* song made out of pure epic and win. Part I and II was *almost* perfect, it was really close to flawless, and part III, even though to me was a bit repetitive, was also really great, courtesy of the solo and alternating heavy and acoustic parts. I would so love to hear the recorded version of that. 9/10 from me.

One question, though. Are you really going to make this as two separate tracks? I don't see the point in that, as they both are kinda similar and overall have the same tone, texture, and atmosphere. Why not make it like a song consisting of two movements, i.e. what you are doing now, making it a 2 part song?

Oh, btw, C4C mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842733
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Apr 26, 2008,
Oh wow man! I was just about to head out to grab something to eat and thought I'd just listen to this first and wow! Even if it was a long song all the parts just flowed together amazingly well. I just couldn't stop listening to it even though I'm starving I just had to listen to it all the way through and come here to write this.

What you got here is pure gold
Last edited by Revolverileo at Apr 26, 2008,
Wow, this is great.

Amazing acoustic work, great piano parts, nice solos. Some of it sounded a little bit like Dragonforce. I don't like them that much, but still it was really good.

I think this is one of your best songs. I don't have anything bad to say about it.

10/10 Good job.

Could you crit this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800393

Also, I'd like to say that you inspired me to start fingerpicking, and I'm getting pretty good at it!
Signature temporarily empty
Last edited by Lord Of Donkeys at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by zakatak9389
Thanks man. I guess you're right about about that transfer to bar 163 is kinda off, but tbh I just copy and pasted the pre-chorus there without listening to it really haha. And now that you mention it, I kinda want to go back and do some drums in the intro and maybe expand on it a little more. I'd also like to hear you're thoughts on part III

And away we go:

To start, I'll say this: the piano is absolutely amazing throughout the song. The intro solo is fantastic and really emotional, although I wish it wouldn't have just tapered off so suddenly. The chorus that comes next keeps up the goodness, although I don't think it was absolutely necessary to harmonize it and the second round.

The pre-choruses are somewhat epic, and now that I hear the chorus again, the harmonizing on the lead does work. Back to the acoustics: I have to give you props on this one. It's incredibly relaxing yet stirring at the same time, and fits perfectly.

For the first key change, I would have liked a sort of 'epic' transition as it does seem a bit sudden. The first solo = wowzers. Incredible, I love the use of different techniques throughout it. And harmonizing solos ftw!

The prechorus after fits perfectly. The second key change was good as it was. Acoustic interlude, once again, is amazing. The key usage is outstanding.

The second solo....I'm lost for words. I cannot honestly describe how incredibly epic that was. It is quite possibly the best solo I have seen on here ever. You have my infinite envy on that one.

Going back into the chorus is the perfect ending.

In total, well, I feel bad for not listening to it sooner.

This is easily a 9.9/10. Incredible work.
that e on the high e in bar 16 sounds a bit uneasy on the ears? maybe change it to a B? anyhoo the rest was awesome, lovely melodies in there. the distortion guitar was awesome when it kicked in, prechorus A sounds a bit familiar tho :s especially the 3rd and 4th bar in it.

it carried on being awesome in the prechorus but how on earth can you play them chords?
5-7-12 wtf.

solo was amazing as usual very memorable melody for sure.

part III dragged a bit tbh, maybe a bit too slow/long winded?

solo B1 was awesome loved it. shreddage with harmonies and everything.

463 was amazing with the chugs and the great piano melody behind it. solo B2 sweet again.

top songs as usual
That's amazing. I have absolutely nothing to complain about, I loved it all, I was even tapping my foot and I wasn't realising! Not only was it greatly composed, but judging by those solos you have awesome chops as well.

11/10.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
the intro was wicked but then it turn into another epicore song with gallops. your arangments are cool. 6/10
hehe 1 bad crit and he goes postal lol. Maybe he cant do better but atleast hes one of the people on here that doesent suck up lol. Anyways 12/10 The intro i loved the rest is awesome but i'd wish someone would post something other than epic... U rock anyways c4c https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846927
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
Last edited by Jonathan Trejo at Apr 28, 2008,
Wow how can anyone give this a rating under 8/10? You may not like the genre... but that doesn't mean you should give it a bad crit. Musically, this is an amazing piece.

Anyway, I thought it was it was excellent. 10/10. I may give you a more dtailed cirt later, but there's really nothing much to crit. The whole tings is excellent.
I'm a person.
THIS IS AMAZING!!! GO RECORD IT!!!

After you recorded this one, make more cool, amazing songs!

10,5/10!

Amazing!
Lol, It seems most people here like you

Great song, you have a thing for combining melodies and harmonies, specially the strings (which I have yet to learn how to use)
The intro was good, the 3 guitar thing was nice (although I can't see why you didn't use 2 instead of 3 ).
From 44, 58 till part 2 it was kind of repetitive, you tend to repeat the same pattern of melody (in this case arpeggios) in your acoustic songs.
Part 2 was good, not my kind of thing (metal), but was very good...
The Pre-chorus was cool, again, you know how to combine melodies...
The thing with metal symphonies is that they tend to be repetitive, repeating the patterns, etc. At least this one wasn't boring!
The chorus had some weird slides....
Nice interlude, but I still don't understand why you have to use 2 different guitars for 1 note melodies

I am not going to complain about the solo, it was mayestic (kind of resembling your Zelda Metal one ).

Nice piano bit, in the interlude and in the second part (near end).
Second solo was great again...
Kind of long wasn't it
I couldn't hear the 3rd solo because my PC is slow and Guitar Pro is acting weird

For being a melodic symphony, it was perfect
I like how you have a main melody and revolve around that on your solos and verses, choruses, verseB2, chorus Z9, etc

(28/3+(e-2)/2)/10

9.68/10 if you don't want to make the maths

I really want to hear you do some other genre
wow very epic! haha love the intro and acoustic interludes. the rest is a little too power metal for me but i still liked it. . i write really long songs with guitar pro too but not as long as that one. holy crap!
GEAR:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960 Av Cab
Crate GLX 210 Combo
Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion Pedal
Digitech Expression Factory pedal
Ltd KH-202
Ltd AX-250
Currently wondering if i Should get a
Seymour Duncan C-1 or a Ltd Eclipse
as i listen:

intro is solid as ever, nice acoustic work although I only really get into it when the bass and keys come in. Your strings stuff has always been amazing and this is no different. The second part of the intro is lovely, the strummed chord just sounds perfect. The switch into 3/4 works really well - nothing to dislike so far! I love the 6/4 bar as well, just leaves you hanging before the fun starts

Pre-verse is really nicely written and the verse is bloody brilliant. Simple enough to have vocals over the top and yet it has enough of a hook to work without it. The Pre-Chorus and Chorus are both solid as well - some great chord choices on the strings as well to add some colour to the riffs. The variation is good, although the tempo change isn't amazing - not much you can do with guitar pro though

As usual the two acoustic parts blend together seamlessly, bit of an odd place for an acoustic break but it's a damn good break. Very nice drum roll to lead into the heavy stuff and a fine solo (my favourite part is the d# in 230 - sounds perfect). Good riff afterwards and the first two bars of the lead riff in the post solo was excellent, although i'm not a fan of bar 249 - it just doesn't quite sound right; to my ears it would sound better with three half notes rather than with the quarter...other than that you got the rhythm spot on with this riff.

Haha was about to say the next break doesn't work but then the guitars join in and all sounds wonderful again. That being said, this isn't as focussed as your previous stuff - seems to be switching between clean, acoustic and distorted a bit too much. The delayed guitar is absolutely amazing though - note-perfect. Chorus is solid again. With the next acoustic break though it just seems like it's all a bit epic. Again the music is wonderful but I just don't think it's necessary. The pre-chorus that follows is great and I love guitar 1 from 363.

Ah chorus B is more like it - the same idea brought back in seamlessly and it works really well. It strikes me now that this is getting a bit long and repetitive though, something i've never felt with your other songs. The next acoustic break is a bit unnecessary as well. The key change later is very nice, leads into the solo well and freshens up the song when it was getting a bit stale. Solo 2 is one of the best I've ever seen on here (reminds me of mine!) and the harmony at the end is just awesome, especially once the piano cuts in. Sadly, same old thoughts about the acoustic section - good but unnecessary.

Solo B2 is another stunning use of the delay effect - beautiful, and again a wonderful transition back into the chorus. This is the kind of focussed stuff I love, seems everything just fits together nicely.

Overall, my general feeling is that although (obviously) it's amazingly well-written, it seems like you need an editor or someone to trim out a few of the sections. I'm a fan of long music but it doesn't really change enough for it to be this long (although that could well change with vocals). It's still bloody brilliant though - every time i think my stuff is even close to being as good as yours, you get better! Keep them coming mate!

(If you could crit the top one in my sig (Fin) that'd be awesome )
I wish I were in a band that would play stuff like this. Absolutely sick, bro.
Real eyes realise real lies.
^ thanks alot guys and yeah, b101 I was kinda feeling the same way about the repetetive factor, so I took out the second verse B and Pre-chorus B2. I guess I was just trying too hard to make it long and epic haha. And I'll really try to get to get everyones crits returned this week, I've just been really busy with work and school haha.
The melodies we're soooo slick.
Very impressive song, wish I was as talented as you!

I had just like one problem with it! haha,
Some of the key changes sounded a bit off I think, or rather one in particular, the bend in Pre-Chorus b2

Really awesome though, 2 songs in one - brilliant concept!

9.5/10.
Part 1

Sick intro. I love the lead guitar. When the strings come in it really gets good. Harmonizing really works well as well.

Part 2

Oh **** yea, I love this riff. It comes in so powerfully, it's just amazing. I like the verse as well, it's simple but it works for the song. The prechorus was good, though the lead could use just a bit of tweaking. Chorus is really well done, the harmonies are great. The next verse is what i'm talking about, that's how it should be, but the first one being the way it is only adds to the effect the second one gives. The variation was a great little touch, and the slow down of the tempo really worked well. The interlude was well placed, but the leads could have been worked on at some parts to be made more interesting.

Is it just me or does the solo oddly remind me of the Dark World Zelda theme? Anyways, it was great really, nice job on that. The post solo thing worked well, reminiscent of the chorus yet different at the same time, though the timing of some notes felt a little off.

Part 3

Piano intro was cool, I really liked the thunder effects. The epic part afterwards was really good, though it mostly came out when the harmonies started. The part afterwards was good but for some reason I just wasn't all that fond of it (chorus). Same with the prechorus afterwards. I really liked the Prechorus B2 though. The key change was a really good effect as well. The solo was good, but I think it would have been better if you left some "resting" bars, like not all fast. The harmony was nice as well.

Acoustic bridge was very nice. And I thought I recognized that drum pattern from Verse B2 hahahaha...Anyways, the rest is great as well.

Great job dude! Really great song
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by zakatak9389
^ thanks guys

WTF? lol. Did you even listen to the whole thing? I'd like to see you do better.

Dude, not cool.
You know everybody has their own opinion, and if he dont like it, well then he dont like it and can give it bad rating. And if he can or cant do better is not the point. I think alot of professional music is a bunch of crap even if its alot better written then my own. I would still give them bad rating. Simply because i didnt like it.
Stop acting like your so much better then everybody else!

Now to your song. Your song were realy nice. But I think there was some parts of it that were to long. I acually got realy bored by listening to it. It was in part 3 were everything just repeated it self, or just seemed so. So all in all you could shortened it abit. Other then that, its awsome. Realy like the key changes.
Quote by psychotim
Dude, not cool.
You know everybody has their own opinion, and if he dont like it, well then he dont like it and can give it bad rating. And if he can or cant do better is not the point. I think alot of professional music is a bunch of crap even if its alot better written then my own. I would still give them bad rating. Simply because i didnt like it.
Stop acting like your so much better then everybody else!

I know where your comin from man, it's just that I spend a LOT of time working on my music and for someone to just give a comment like that, I get a little hypersensitive about it and tend to over-react. But whatever, I'm over it now.

But I don't see how you can think of it as repetetive in part III, I took out a bunch of the original repeats, so it would stop being repetetive
I think this is a great song.
Last edited by Gulli05 at May 28, 2008,
Now that I hear it again, I think some of the rhythm is kind of off..

Look at part 1 (and prechorus and chorus too), doesn't the drum, rhythm, and melody indicate as if the rhythm is one beat late?
Like at bar 95, doesn't it seem like tha G and F# (with the gallop thing) fall in the strong part of the beats instead of the weak? (like, they fall into the beats, and the A5 diad sustains from one bar to the other, like you have placed the song (ar least in Guitar Pro) 1 half of beat further).

At least that is how I feel it with GP, maybe when played it doesn't feel like that..