50th anniversary Mexican Strat
(black, good condition, Schaller tuners, 2 single coil pickups and a Seymour Duncan Phat-Cat) with hard-shell case

for

$175

Good Deal? This guitar is pretty old right?

As you may be able to tell I'm new to this. Been learning on a borrowed Ric up till now and looking to buy my own guitar soon.

Thanks Everyone.

EDIT: PICTURES BELOW
Last edited by cjchyea at Apr 25, 2008,
doesnt sound bad at all. most used mexican made strats run about $250-300.

this one seems to have upgraded pickup. which is good if you like that brand. not so good if you realize that means it was opened and tinkered with, by someone.

get a serial number, but maybe it's only a few years old.

make sure the neck is straight and,
you;ll want to look for noisy pots, switches, and damaged (flattened or worn) frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Here are the images of it...

What do you think?
Last edited by cjchyea at Apr 25, 2008,
I haven't seen it in person yet, and yes the bridge is a Seymour Duncan Phat-Cat P-90.
Tried to get some more Hi-Res images up. Thanks for the feedback Colgate Total.
yep...do it!

can you get the serial number or a better shot of the headstock? seems funky and that shiny nut?

but like Colgate Total said, you can always fix it. even with a bad neck it is prolly worth it.

and yes i just checked - that is a SD P-90 Phat cat based on photo

Go!

;
Cool, I'm defiantly going to try and take a look at it. What types of things should I look for?
Quote by cjchyea
Cool, I'm defiantly going to try and take a look at it. What types of things should I look for?

The neck, make sure it's not warped, and the wiring. Also, the frets, just feel around the neck and make sure there are no sharp edges. The body wood too, that could be some Strat copy with a Fender neck put on it.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by cjchyea
How do I tell if the body is genuine?

Take the neck off, and look at the grain, and colour of it. Also, playing it. Strats are usually alder, and will have a bright sound.

Well, a Strat sound basically, which is unique in it's own.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Hrrm I wonder if he will let me take it apart. Any other sure fire ways to know if the guitar is genuine?
Quote by cjchyea
Hrrm I wonder if he will let me take it apart. Any other sure fire ways to know if the guitar is genuine?

the neck plate will probably give some sort of indication that it is a 50th.

and like said, the serial number should be MZ3+5-6 digits, or MZ4+5-6 digits.

but honestly, it's not a vintage strat or anything. i dont know what you think you're buying.

also some of those screws and the pickup poles look rusty in that pic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Just buying my first guitar, want to get a used mim strat. Still shopping around just asking advice. Thanks Everyone
Quote by Colgate Total
Take the neck off, and look at the grain, and colour of it. Also, playing it. Strats are usually alder, and will have a bright sound.

Well, a Strat sound basically, which is unique in it's own.

First most people ain't gonna let you take the guitar apart,dumb suggestion IMO & the sound isn't totally unique as you lead it to be,you know people make strats all the time that sound the same or better,also depends on pick-ups,amps,player Also it looks like it's in a Fender HC,pretty good fake and a lot of wasted trouble to fake a MIM strat with a Fender case to sell it for $175. Shoot the most expensive part is the neck and if it's straight it would sell for $100-125 on eBay so you should be in good shape IMO

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would def look into it. If it is a 50th anniv then that puts it at around 2004 which isn't that old. $175 almost seems too low, especially with a Duncan pup in there. Check some of things jj said.

A 50th Anniv. should be 1996 if I'm not wrong,like my 50th Ann. Squier Strat. It would be pretty hard to have a 60th Ann. Strat in 2008 and turn around and say a 50th is a 2004? So your 60th Ann. was made a few years early compared to your post And no I have seen plenty of MIM's go for $200-225 so that is a fair price,I do see them hit the $300 mark but they are in pristine to excellent shape & usually only a couple years old,let's not forget that new they are $400 & a MIM isn't a classic collector guitar. Nice guitar none the less.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Last edited by twisty571 at Apr 27, 2008,
i really didnt look it up but i think 50th anniversary strats are 04'.

but like said, they come out with a different anniversary and or limited ed sticker every year. boosts sales.

just as an example my 96' strat deserves a sticker as well. but it's not an anniversary edition of strats, it's 50 years of fender excellence.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i really didnt look it up but i think 50th anniversary strats are 04'.

but like said, they come out with a different anniversary and or limited ed sticker every year. boosts sales.

just as an example my 96' strat deserves a sticker as well. but it's not an anniversary edition of strats, it's 50 years of fender excellence.

Damn if that's the case Fender makes no sense to me,if the 50th is 2004 and what 3-4 years later they release the 60th (2007-2008?) My Squier has the same sticker
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
Sorry, i think i had a brain fart.

1947 - Fender Electric Instrument Co was formed by Leo Fender. Before that is was Kauffman and Fender in 1945.

1954 - First Stratocaster.

i think i miss read cjchyea original note - i was thinking 50th anniversary of the strat 1954 + 50 = 2004.

but you are right twisty - it is very confusing.

mine was built in 2005 i believe and has the 60 anniv sticker plate on back of headstock commemorating 60 years of Fender which i guess includes Leo's first company Kaufman and Fender?

PS. i really need to stay off this site when i'm on blackberry

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sorry, i think i had a brain fart.

1947 - Fender Electric Instrument Co was formed by Leo Fender. Before that is was Kauffman and Fender in 1945.

1954 - First Stratocaster.

i think i miss read cjchyea original note - i was thinking 50th anniversary of the strat 1954 + 50 = 2004.

but you are right twisty - it is very confusing.

mine was built in 2005 i believe and has the 60 anniv sticker plate on back of headstock commemorating 60 years of Fender which i guess includes Leo's first company Kaufman and Fender?

PS. i really need to stay off this site when i'm on blackberry

;

So if in fact the 50th is 1996 that should make your 60th a 2006
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.