I've been looking in to buying a charvel for a while now. Since they are quite rare around here I've been keeping my eyes open for some time. The problem is: when one of them finally crawled out of the woodwork, another one had to follow suit.

These are the guitars:
Model 475: HSS, bolt-on, Schaller Floyd, red paintjob, unknown year.
Model 750 XL: HH, neck-through, Kahler (dunno which), deepblue flame maple paintjob, 1989.

Normally this would be a question of which one a person can afford, but that's not the dilemma here since they are both equally (and rediculously) cheap. The problem is that I have a HUGE hard-on for playing lead on neck single coils, as well as some other minor details speaking in favor for the 475 (paintjob, unfinished neck, etc).

I guess all of this can be summed up in two questions: 1. How complicated would it be to install singles in the middle and neck of the 750? and 2. How great is the difference in quality between the two guitars?

Currently I'm leaning toward the 750, since it feels like a higher quality model (from what I've read), but I did'nt want to make up my mind without consulting UG first.

Some things I feel like I need to clarify:
1. I won't have the opportunity to play the guitars before making a descion (and yes, I am familiar with the sound and feel of the guitar, having played several diffrent models, though they were all either abroad or sold when I had the cash for them).

2. I DO NOT WANT ANY AMP SUGGESTIONS (or any "new amp first" either for that matter, as I am already saving money to buy an Engl Screamer). Charvels are so rare around here that I'd probably be waiting a year or three if I blow it off now.

I should probably mention that I plan to swap the pickups too, though not until I land the Screamer, so they don't really matter that much.

I'm in Europe, if it's makes a difference.

Cheers to anybody who takes there time read this!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Last edited by Revrend. at Apr 25, 2008,
well, the 750 sounds like a better guitar but it seems like it would need more work for what you want, so id say the 475
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
if you did get the 750 id look into replacing the neck buckers with another coil taped humbucker as to avoid the rouiting required to install the middle SC
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
if you did get the 750 id look into replacing the neck buckers with another coil taped humbucker as to avoid the rouiting required to install the middle SC

I've given that a thought, but my current idea for it is to trty to find one of them picukp ring converter thingies (basically a pickup ring that let's you put a single in a humbucker rout), use it for the neck humbucker and try to live without the middle until I have the money (or woodworking skillz) to get it done. This sounds like a pretty fine plan, I know, though there is one itsy-bitsy detail going against me: I've never seen one of them pickup converter thingies on this side of the pond!

well, the 750 sounds like a better guitar but it seems like it would need more work for what you want, so id say the 475

Well, yes and no. The only thing I would change on the 750 right of the bat is the neck finish. In time I think the only other thing I would do anything about is the pickups.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Last edited by Revrend. at Apr 25, 2008,
Giving this a nice bump, doesn't anyone know stuff about charvels?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
The 750 is a SET neck, not neck through. Great guitars but with a shorter scale length.
They're both GREAT axes, but with very different feels. I have a model 4 which is basically the 475's father, and I love her to death. I also prefer the sound of bolt ons so I'd go for the 475 myself but eh. Depends on what you like.

475s were made between 1989 and 1991 I believe.

Both guitars were made at the same time, same place, quality should be exactly the same.

You put a middle pup in the 750 and I hit you personally hehe... sorry. Those are brilliant guitars, so eh, do what you like, but if you want a middle pickup so bad go for the 475.

The 750 is NOT a better quality guitar. It's just an entirely different guitar.
Quote by Horlicks
750 XL looks a bit better

To you.

Also, want a neck single coil? Get a Prails or a Phat Cat, or a simple humbucker wired to a split. Or even permanently split.
The 750 is a SET neck, not neck through. Great guitars but with a shorter scale length.
They're both GREAT axes, but with very different feels. I have a model 4 which is basically the 475's father, and I love her to death. I also prefer the sound of bolt ons so I'd go for the 475 myself but eh. Depends on what you like.

475s were made between 1989 and 1991 I believe.

Both guitars were made at the same time, same place, quality should be exactly the same.

You put a middle pup in the 750 and I hit you personally hehe... sorry. Those are brilliant guitars, so eh, do what you like, but if you want a middle pickup so bad go for the 475.

The 750 is NOT a better quality guitar. It's just an entirely different guitar.

THANK YOU for clearing a lot of stuff up. I think you just about have convinced me to go for the 475, since the presumed neck-through of the 750 was probably the biggest selling point to me. The reason I asumed neck-through was simply because: 1. the seller said so, and 2. I THINK I heard some where that the model 6's were neck-throughs, and since it seemed to follow the logic I had worked out for the quality of charvels (higher model number = higher quality). I know that was I pretty big dumb ass-move, but anyone who has tried finding information about the 80's-90's charvels will know what I'm talking about.

Okay, I've got a new question worked out for you guys: how is the quality of the licensed floyd on the 475? Again I'm not entirely sure, but I think I've heard or read somewhere that the model 475's had Schaller floyds which, if true, would help swing my desicson even more in the favor of the 475.

And again HUGE thanks to Pott helping out and providing alot of useful info.

Cheers dudes!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Mhmm I do believe the 475 had Schaller made Floyds. If so, nothing to worry EXCEPT that they're close to 20 years old and may need maintenance on the knife edges. Otherwise you should be fine. Maybe clean it up a little with anti rust and such.

The 750 wasn't a 'logical' follower, if you see what I mean... indeed on the model series you had models 1 to 4 in increasing order of complexity (not quality) then it moved on to neck throughs (models 5 and 6). The oldballs were model 7s (Teles) and 88, as well as the 3DR and the various predators etc...
The toothpaste seried followed the same structure but the 750XL was on its own. Great guitar and quite sought after!

The 475 is the equivallent to my model 4. I've played a 375 over the holidays and it felt very similar to my own M4. The 475 will be quite the same, but with different electronics (active midboost, volume, tone, HSS Jackson passive pickups)

A lot of people think that neck throughs/set necks = high quality than bolt ons. But it really has absolutely nothing to do with build quality. It's just a different construction type. Mostly the differences are in sound and fret access/feel.

You've very welcome! Those were great axes and it's awesome to see more people getting into them.