I have been "playing" for about a month so far. I'm trying to teach myself to play by picking songs i like and trying to play that. It seems to work so far but I have been having a bit of trouble with my speed and precision. Do you have any tips on how to get better. I eventually would like to play metal and industrial so speed and precision is pretty important. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
do scales slowly with a metronome and slowly increase speed till u have it maxed then do it again as eighth notes
picking speed ? fingering speed ?
wht type of speed..
and anyways... for both, use metronomes theyre awesome!!
As the others have said, work with increased speed and regular patterns using a metronome... But mostly, you shouldn't expect hardly anything after only a month... it's going to be a long time before you get "good", so mainly, be patient... Most people quit because they aren't good after playing for a few months/a year... it takes time, stick with it, the rewards are very much worth the time input
Metronomes, and practice practice practice!
Once you break the initial learning curve, it becomes a lot easier.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
get a metronome!! start slow and slowly raise the speed, once u reach ur limit drop back and repeat
Hi there
Quote by Travlembo
But mostly, you shouldn't expect hardly anything after only a month... it's going to be a long time before you get "good", so mainly, be patient... Most people quit because they aren't good after playing for a few months/a year... it takes time, stick with it, the rewards are very much worth the time input

yeah... thts very true.... and especially if u like metal... stuff like Children Of Bodom or Beneath The Massacre (craziest band ever!!!!!)... n death metal stuff..... it might sound easy, and sound as if its just random things at random times... but its way more complex than any other genre i know... (maybe except for neo-classical metal... which alls under metal.. so nvm... and some of the shred jazz!)

my mistake.... bodom n beneath the massacre doesnt sound easy.... and isnt easy.... (and im not talking to people who've been playin for 10yrs or so and can shred faster than malmsteen!! ITS NOT FAIR!) it'll take a long time to get there.....
So are you suggesting that I use a metronome?!!????!??!!?

I'm pretty impatient when it comes to learning new things so I tend to push myself...
It worked with my calculus and AP physics classes in high school so lets see if it will work with a useful skill.
think of playing guitar like having sex or something....
the more u do it, the better u get...
it takes time...guitar isnt something that you are a master at in a small time...practice daily, learn songs, and have patience!
MY GEAR!
Fender Starcaster
Epiphone SG Custom Shop LE
Vox AD15VT
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell

Kirk Hammett = my half filipino metal idol :P
I agree with others that have posted..Use a metronome. and just play scales getting faster untill you can't go any faster, then start slow again, Try different scales aswell to get different finger movements to increase precision, and basically just keep at it.
Btw..If you don't have a metronome, you can download computer ones off the internet xD but it's always handy to have one that isn't computerised incase you aren't near a computer =P
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
Quote by Blooddawning
faster untill you can't go any faster, then start slow again

cant miss that one man! THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!
sorry about that
I never used scales too much when I first started out, I just played easy songs and experimented and I slowly got better and my fingers got used to the fretboard and where each fret was. It's only really difficult at the start when you can't move from one note to another fast at all and you can't even strum in the right place
When i started out i didn't use a metronome. I just learned my scale positions
and when i got really comfortable with them...then i started to try to get faster.
I know its cliche but you gotta crawl before you walk.

The funny thing about guitar is you never seem to make small improvements..
you just get on it one day and you think...

. o O ( What happened..my wayyyyy better than I was yesterday...)

speed comes with time..but you will get there..
I wanted to shred so i practiced 2-3 hours a night and about 8 months later..
I was putting together some nice licks, but this was even after i mastered
the scales. I dont like metronomes..I prefer to practice until i can play at the
my desired speed.

That however, is very unorthodox.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Apr 25, 2008,
dont worry man youve only been playing a month, not many people will be van haling that quick. youll develop strong fingers and therefore be able to hammer better etc. im still working on it too
Precision is the only thing you need to concern yourself with. You can't play something quickly unless you can first play it slowly and accurately, speed just develops naturally over time.

Be warned though, you've mentioned you're impatient...it's not going to take you days, weeks or even months to get "fast", it'll likely take years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ Apparently, Paul Gilbert didn't start playing quickly until five years (I think) after he first picked up guitar.
Quote by leephan
^ Apparently, Paul Gilbert didn't start playing quickly until five years (I think) after he first picked up guitar.

I heard that somewhere too - as far as UG goes a lot of people overstate or over-estimate their own abilities so don't pay too much attention to what other people claim to have accomplished in incredibly short timeframes.

The speed thing is like driving - you might love motor racing and dream of being a race driver. However, if your first action ever in a car is to attempt to drive at 120mph you're likely to kill yourself. There's a reason your first few lessons are done at a snail's pace teaching you the absolute basics, and even professional drivers will walk round a new track to get the feel of it before they ever drive it. Guitar is no different, it's less dangerous, but you need to exercise the same level of discipline.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you sound like you want to rip,but are fustrated allreadey,take the advice from this fourm,slow down,then after a while it will come.i hate metal .but to play is to play,good luck.
My grear Fender standard Strat(Black and White)Amp Marshall MG100DFX ,assorted toys.
I dunno about metronomes good for timing and getting a feel for bar spacings and crap. Honestly if you've only been playing for a month you just don't need one play at a slow speed and gradually increase it its really not that hard by ear and feel to get steady tempo.
Quote by steven seagull
as far as UG goes a lot of people overstate or over-estimate their own abilities so don't pay too much attention to what other people claim to have accomplished in incredibly short timeframes.

true