so i took out my SG today and started playing some old metallica. Damn that thing sounded good. I cant believe ive left it in its case for the past month. It had the exact tone i was looking for. Great snarling highs and thick warm lows. There was one thing that made me realize why i put it back in the case. The neck is so goddamn thick and its really hard to shred on it. I was able to do it a lot better than i could when i picked it up last but still not as good as my jackson. I play a lot of licks like this
E---------12-15-12-12-15-12-12-17-12-12-15-12-12------12-12
B----------------------------------------------------------------15

E-------12-15-12-12----12-12-15-12-12-----12-12
b-----------------------15---------------------15

similar to what Hammett and Mustaine played back in the day (i think Mustaine invented that lick)
it involves shredding on two strings which is hard because they are spaced apart. I have not mastered the technique quite yet but i can make it sound ok on my jackson, but on my SG it sounds all rough and sloppy.

My question is if i practice these licks slowly and master them will i be able to play them on My SG as well as my jackson?. I really hope so because i love the tone and dont feel like saving up for a thinner necked (is it actually thinner??) Flying V or explorer because they dont sound as good.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Undoubtedly yes. Anything can be done if enough practice is put into it. Right now I've got guitars similar to yours in the fact that one has a thick neck and one has a nice thin neck. Recently, I've been playing the one with the thicker neck because I like it better and I have gotten worse on the thinner neck and better on the thicker neck. It can be done.
its possible to even play it better...
just need to practice.... look at malmsteen.. he plays what he plays with a strat neck.... with scalloped frets!!! i tried his signature guitar, and i swear, u have to push in with like all ur force just to get 1 note to sound good and stay....
Maybe try adjusting your action, might make things easier.
I've never played an SG with a fat neck, all the ones I've played have really thin but wide necks. I'm not a fan of those ones
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
yes if u practice u will get it and in responce to the malmsteen thing scallped necks are easier to play u dont need to push it to the fret board that bends the note up u just need to have touch
Quote by selkies
yes if u practice u will get it and in responce to the malmsteen thing scallped necks are easier to play u dont need to push it to the fret board that bends the note up u just need to have touch

try them sometime
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
oh, i have a standard and i guess compared to like a Firebird or an Les paul the neck isnt thick but compared to a jackson it is. i adjusted the action, well i had a guy do it but its pretty low. maybe as low as it gets.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by selkies

theyre scalloped!!
means the frets are concave shaped not convex, they go in not out...
check out the pics.... and try them.... ive played one man, and unless i was ****face drunk or high or both (which'd suck!) i know what i played....

http://yngwie.org/images/fretboard2007.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ibanez.otaku/guitars/yjm_strat/yjm_top_frets.jpg

look at the pics
You can only sweep pick on an SG...it's a proven fact.

And to GuitarManNick what planet are you from where being drunk and stoned at the same time sucks?!!!
Quote by Wilson6

And to GuitarManNick what planet are you from where being drunk and stoned at the same time sucks?!!!

naw man, when im tipsy and stoned, its good, but when im drunk and stoned, i get a headache and when im ****face drunk and stoned.... well lets just say bad things come out of my mouth... and theyre not words...
but being drunk.. separate and being stoned separate is awesome!
Man, I shred on ukileles...you can do it on an SG

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Man, I shred on ukileles...you can do it on an SG

woo!! ukeleles with tons of distortion! and FR's m locking nuts!! dam, i'd like to see tht
It would be the br00t4lz...

I'm gonna have to buy a uke, now

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
It would be the br00t4lz...

I'm gonna have to buy a uke, now

haha **** yeah! im gonna go pawn my jackson for a custom made ukelele! hahaha

Quote by eggsandham2
The lead guitarist in my band's "rival" band has a Gibby SG Standard and he can shred like nobody's business. It's just a matter of getting used to the neck over time.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I would love to see that

Apokelaylia.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I would love to see that

Apokelaylia.

haha yeah..
speakin of apocalyptica!!
im gonna watch em this summer!!! woo!!
Quote by GuitarManNick
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ibanez.otaku/guitars/yjm_strat/yjm_strat.html
look at the fretboard images!

i dont wanna sound like an ass but u sir are a dumbass...

Scalloped necks are much easier to get a note out of. You actually shouldn't press hard because you'll send the note sharp.

Don't call someone a dumbass if you're the one being a dumbass.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It's got a wide, skinny, flat neck. I'd say an SG is pretty well suited to shredding. Mind you, I couldn't shred on an Ibanez if Paul Gilbert was guiding my fingers.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
its not really skinny, its kinda flat but its pretty fat, At least compared to a jackson or a fender, i guess not compared to ales paul or a hagstrom
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
if it feels comfortable in your hand then sure, but if it is uncomfortable then no you cant. its all preference and really people find it hard to shred on ibanez and easier on sg's and vice versa. this rule doesn't apply to jackson because anyone can shred on a jackson
If I can do it, you can do it! In all seriousness, you can shred on any neck with practice.
Gibson.