So, my brother has a guitar. Problem is, he's only 10, but really wants to learn.

I know it's possible, I've seen some pretty damn good Kid guitarists. Question is:

What should I teach him that would be both beneficial AND keep him interested?
I already know playing to Metronome. Not gonna let him repeat my damn mistake of not playing with one until a year after starting :P

I'm trying to teach him Sweet Dreams (Manson cover), As he loves that song when I play it. I just don't know what Techniques I should teach him or anything. He's interested in learning, I just need to keep the lessons interesting too!
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
I think you should get him interested in the instrument before you try to tackle the harder things. I think if I hadn't learned a few songs that I liked when I first picked it up; i never would have stuck with it.

I remember learning a few ACDC songs when I started. Try teaching him something he'll know. And then I guess explain the song to him; why these chords go with those chords and things like that.

A lot of classic rock is simple enough for a younger kid to understand.

Edit: A lot of people might suggest start teaching theory as soon as they pick up the guitar, but I've had bad experience with that. My cousin and my friend went through this route and ended up quitting within months. Now they won't even pick up the guitar anymore. I'd make sure your student is interested; and once he is, give him a reason to keep playing.
Ok, thanks.
Yea, I hadn't learned theory until....Maybe aabout 7 months into playing, then I just dived head-first into it :P

Thanks for the suggestion though. Guess I'll just start teachin' some songs! Heh.
Crate GTD65 Amp

Jack White:
uhhh.. may i say, Day Tripper!!!
If you like Blues/Rock then add me as a friend. I need to talk to some Blues/Rock Musicians and need reccomendations.
Yeah, I've got a 10 year old brother who asked me a while ago if he could play the guitar. I handed it to him, taught him how to hold it, how to pick it, and I just taught him some basic chromatic sequence for finger exercises and told him to practice it for 2 hours and then get back to me.

He's getting there. He's got the passion and he looks at a lot of videos of guitarists and stuff on youtube. He's really into Buckethead, lol. I'd say I'll have a new jam buddy in a year or two.
Heh, yea. I'm looking forward to him being good enough to Jam with, even if it's just a few basic chords/notes that he plays. We were playing Sweet Dreams tonight, and he was doing the backing Rhythm. He actually has a pretty good sense of Rhythm, and staying in beat!
Wish I had that when I first started, heh.

Think I'll teach him Tab next.
Thanks guys.
Crate GTD65 Amp

Jack White:
My brother is 10 (a lot of 10 year olds...) and he started playing guitar a few months ago. I started off by teaching him the basic E A D chords and whatnot and then letting him learn a couple of chord progressions and ACDC riffs like Back in Black.

He's not great yet but he's further ahead than I was when I was at his stage.
Without racking his brain. You can't really cram too much in all
at one time becuase it's not going to retain

Just tell him that basic chords make up are just every other notes.
If you have access to a key board. He can easily have a visual.

Then just tell him 3 and 4, 7 and 8
3478..that's a number he can memorize easily.
EF BC..these are the 1/2 steps. He can easily see it on the keyboard.
There's no black keys between these notes.
This will his refernce piont.... the wwhw step stuff.

Then the next week...just tell him 1,4,5
145...that's simple. These the are just the maj chords

Then next week tell him 2,3,6
236 for the minor

Then the 7.

Within a month he will at least have basic music comprehension

then the next week .Just tell him ..He will recall the everyother note stuff

1,3,5....major chord make up

the next week
1,b3,5

Stress that the b3 is what distinguish a minor chord.

You can throw in the 1,b3,b5, depending if he grasp or still retains
the b3rd stuff.

Then show it to him on the keyboard again...

the extensions chords

1,3,5,7...it's every other note for a Cmaj7
1,3,5,7,9 it's atill everyother notes for Cmaj7add9

If you have access to the intervals terms. This too will help him greatly

Try to get him to memorize all of the natural notes on the fretboard.
Leave out the flat and #..notes (just memorize all of the white keys)
Commonsence will tell him the notes in between the natural notes
are going to be flat or #.

The amazing thing about the guitar design is that you can shuffle
that Cmaj scale to obtain other keys or pitch.

Everything repeats itself. Use it like a slide ruler
All of the patterns rolls around again as if it's on a converyor belt.
Last edited by Ordinary at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by MetalGS3SE
My brother is 10 (a lot of 10 year olds...) and he started playing guitar a few months ago. I started off by teaching him the basic E A D chords and whatnot and then letting him learn a couple of chord progressions and ACDC riffs like Back in Black.

He's not great yet but he's further ahead than I was when I was at his stage.

I'm giving lessons to a 9 year old and he's doing pretty good.

In my opinion, early on don't stress theory and all the boring stuff or they will loose interest.

Make it fun instead of a pain in the ass.

Why does he want to play guitar? To play songs...make sure you teach him a song he wants thats easy. Something that he can be proud of.

Would you rather teach him theory he will look at once and forget it or teach him a song he will play for 2 hours when he gets home??

Again, my opinion
I would suggest teaching him something simple on one string first. Stephen Colbert played "smoke on the water" on the low E string, 1st position, and everyone on his show loved it! LOL

But as people have mentioned before, make sure he stays interested.

He'll probably wants to play because he's seen you (or someone else who's influential) playing. If he's completely motivated by this, then good on him. Throw complicated stuff at him and see what he likes.

But if you see him wavering at all, don't put any pressure on him. Don't tell him about things to show off your knowledge. Don't play well in front of him, or play what he's playing (better than him) at the same time.

The most important technique in learning the guitar is playing it a lot.
Quote by lemonsquares42
I think you should get him interested in the instrument before you try to tackle the harder things. I think if I hadn't learned a few songs that I liked when I first picked it up; i never would have stuck with it.

I remember learning a few ACDC songs when I started. Try teaching him something he'll know. And then I guess explain the song to him; why these chords go with those chords and things like that.

A lot of classic rock is simple enough for a younger kid to understand.

Edit: A lot of people might suggest start teaching theory as soon as they pick up the guitar, but I've had bad experience with that. My cousin and my friend went through this route and ended up quitting within months. Now they won't even pick up the guitar anymore. I'd make sure your student is interested; and once he is, give him a reason to keep playing.

yeah thats what i reckon, because these kids get guitars and then are put into guitar lessons and start learning what the note is on the first string and then they just pick that note for an hour or so i think that is what puts alot of kids off
Ok, I think I'm just going to go with the whole "Skip the theory" kind of thing for now. He doesn't seem to interested in that now anyway :P

Should I correct him on Technique though, like not bending the fretting finger's knuckle, and using the whole Positional playing, or just let him do whatever?
Crate GTD65 Amp

Jack White:
Quote by gloryindeath
Should I correct him on Technique though, like not bending the fretting finger's knuckle, and using the whole Positional playing, or just let him do whatever?

Absolutely, you don't want him to develop any bad habits early on.