Hey guys, I know this sounds very very stupid, but I've been wanting to step up on my gear for a while now as playing with a Marshall MG15 ain't exactly satisfying soundwise. However, my dad told me that I could get a better guitar, 1000-1500USD range. I've been hearing a lot of good advice to get an amp before I get the guitar, which is what is normally done but the thing is, I won't use my amp much except for bedroom practice purposes as my main playing area is at the church I am attending as a guitarist for the youth. So heres the question, should I get a good amp and stick with my current guitar, should I get a guitar and play through my POD X3Live through headphones to take out the amp's colouring or should I spend another 1000-1200 on an amp with my own money and ask my dad to buy the guitar?Thanks guys!
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Get the amp. A good amp will make a crappy guitar sound better but not likewise. I don't know how good of a guitar you have but you will never coax good tones out of it with an MG.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I would personally get the guitar but instead of getting a guitar in the 1000's ide just go with one thats like 500-800 range there is no difference between those cheap and the really expesnive ones beside the most minor things if you go into the store(guitarcenter) the really costly ones are cheeper for some reason so yea but if want a really good amp for like 500 check out the line 6 spiders they got a ton of stuff on them like chorus flanger delay tremelo ping pong and reverb. there just as good as the marshells
Well, the guitar you have right now is a very good beginner's guitar I say stick with it:

Amps:

Blues: Peavey Classic 30
Metal: Peavey 5150, ENGL Screamer 50
Classic Rock: Laney VC30/50
Shred: Same as metal
Jazz: VC30 or Classic 30.

They are all around 500-1300 USD.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by shizzlefoo7
I would personally get the guitar but instead of getting a guitar in the 1000's ide just go with one thats like 500-800 range there is no difference between those cheap and the really expesnive ones beside the most minor things if you go into the store(guitarcenter) the really costly ones are cheeper for some reason so yea but if want a really good amp for like 500 check out the line 6 spiders they got a ton of stuff on them like chorus flanger delay tremelo ping pong and reverb. there just as good as the marshells

No, don't.
Quote by shizzlefoo7

I find this part the most disturbing

Line 6 Spider III...

NOW WITH PONG

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
With that money, you can get some good tube amp, look into Peaveys, I've tried some, they sound badass.
You really needn't go over $600 for an amp, in my opinion, unless you're a serious gigging musician (with the exception of not being able to find THE amp you want, used).

With a guitar, it's all about quality, not price. If it sounds good, feels good, is well built, and you at least don't find it horrendously ugly, it's worth it (be it an $800 Schecter you've fallen in love with, or that $2000 Gibson you've been saving for all your life).

I'd say get em both! Slaytanic1993's list in post 4 is good
Definitely go for the amp. But I can't really suggest one until I know what styles you play. So... what styles do you play?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Well, the guitar you have right now is a very good beginner's guitar I say stick with it:

Amps:

Blues: Peavey Classic 30
Metal: Peavey 5150, ENGL Screamer 50
Classic Rock: Laney VC30/50
Shred: Same as metal
Jazz: VC30 or Classic 30.

They are all around 500-1300 USD.

With the exception of your jazz recommendations, it's a pretty good list. For jazz, you'd want to get a Polytone Mini Brute, a Roland Jazz Chorus, or a similar high-quality solid-state. If you must have an all-tube amp, get a Fender of some sort, preferably a blackface model, like a Twin or Deluxe Reverb. Of course, there are exceptions. John Scofield uses VOX AC30s and Mesa Mark Is, and his tone is great.
Hey guys, thanks so much for your replies, keep em coming!! I just played at church and for some reason I felt my tone was too "trebly". I was thinking of getting good headphones with the POD since I might not be using an amp and it might be more practical to, since I play straight from the POD to the PA speakers, so using headphones and the POD will simulate playing in the same situation. Anyway, I was thinking of getting a Peavy 5150 or a Vox AC30. I like both amps a lot. Guitar-wise, I might be going through a more rock and roll, blues sort of phase...The sort of aggressive "in your face" sort of blues but in a good way...No intentions of showing people off, just self expression.I've been listening to guitarists like Joe Satriani and Andy Timmons a lot and I love how they play. I was thinking of these two guitars, the Fender MIA HSS Deluxe Strat or the Ibanez SV5470, both brilliant guitars, however they will need a good tube amp to compliment them. The amp sims in my POD X3Live are pretty good but still nothing beats the real thing.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD
I play at church too, and IMO you need a new amp. Your guitar is not bad at all, and the POD will provide a lot of different sounds. There are two significant things you are missing right now to be versatile playing at church or small gigs ... the amp isn't strong enough and other than the guitar pickup selector you don't have any way of switching channels or tones in the middle of a song.

I have a Digitech RP250 which could be plugged into a PA, but I always take an amp because sometimes the person on the PA mixer might not know what they are doing. Or sometimes at practice there isn't anyone on the mixer. Having your own amp will give *you* the control when you need it. You can mic practice amps but you run into the same problems if nobody is on the mixer or they don't know what they are doing. Also you are going to have to have a monitor, and usually practice amps have a hard time getting over a drummer even if they are cranked.

I would look for an amp with an effects loop and footswitch jack that can do good cleans. If you really want tube it would probably need to be at least 30 watts and a 12" speaker. With the footswitch you could switch from clean to crunch (and maybe more depending on how many switches on the foot controller) in the middle of a song and use the POD to change your tones. The effects loop would give some options on how to chain everything together. btw my "main rig" for playing at church is a Hagstrom XL-5 (Super strat style guitar), Digitech RP250, and Hartke GT60c 60 watt hybrid amp. This is a very versatile setup that is powerful enough for medium sized venues, but small and portable enough I can carry it all around and back and forth to practice with one hand. The RP250 fits in the gigbag and your POD would too.

If you are hauling your gear back and forth a lot, how portable it is will increasingly become more and more important. Nobody cares the first few times they have to haul stuff, but eventually you get tired of packing up all the cables and accessories over and over, and having to make multiple trips carrying gear back and forth. If you choose carefully it's possible to walk in and out with just a gigbag and an amp small enough to carry in one hand, but still have good sound. Good luck.
The AC30 would be an excellent choice, but definitely look into some of the Peaveys as well, especially the Classic 30 or 50. I think you could do better than the 5150 if you're not playing metal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
does the church provide an amp for you?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My church does not provide amps, and they aren't too happy about mic-ing up someone's amp too. Normally people just go directly into the PA system through PODs.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD
Here's what you need son it's is called a mesa boogie lonestar special. They have amazing clean tones and can get pretty dirty if you need it to. You can get a used one for about $1000.00
Quote by prs boy
Here's what you need son it's is called a mesa boogie lonestar special. They have amazing clean tones and can get pretty dirty if you need it to. You can get a used one for about $1000.00

Ditch my post, do this and an OD pedal for crunch/distortion.

Quote by eggsandham2
I love Mesa Boogie amps, who doesn't? LoL the thing is, if I want to get a lonestar special, I'll have to ask my dad, even though I have the money. He's not very comfortable with me spending so much money over the net. Theres always a risk with everything though. However if my dad doesn't agree I might stick with a Peavy 5150, those things are awesome, but hard to find here in Melbourne Australia. I was thinking of the SV5470 for my next guitar, but I found out that the guitar centres here don't stock them, so I'll have to order them which defies the law of choosing guitar," Thou shalt always play thy guitar before purchasing". Even though I've heard the guy at the guitar center rave about how smooth it is and how good it feels, I've played Ibanez necks before, and I just can't really take to the pencil thin necks. Anyhow I guess I might have to go with a Fender MIA Deluxe HSS Strat...Good guitar though. I play mainly blues, classic rock and metal.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD