Like the title says, I need a new computer, and I have no idea what to buy, or even where to look first.

Stuff I Need:

Gaming- Yes I want a computer thats good for gaming. Im not going to be playing Crysis on maximum capacity, Maybe The Orange Box at most.

Internet- Basic stuff. Myspace, UG, etc...

Affordability- Must be affordable, no Alienware for me thanks. $500 at most... Maybe $600 if its worth it.
EDIT: After some consideration to what i need to do , I will go to $800, but no more.

Stuff I Dont Need:

Pointless Microsoft sh*t- Microsoft Word is probably all I will use.

Windows Vista- Good god, no!!!!!!!!!!

Building it- I would just rather get a package of a decent moniter and computer. I neither have the time or attention span to build my own.

So does anybody have any recomendations?
?!
Last edited by grenade24 at Apr 24, 2008,
mac.

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
www.newegg.com

www.tigerdirect.com

Look there. they have everything. Building it is cheaper, but you can also get pre-made systems there. It's a lot cheaper there than dell and in store.

Go core 2 duo and either an Nvidia 8800 or 7800 by EVGA Get Seagate perpendicular recording hard drives, cooler master case and a good PSU if your goona build it.

Otherwise focus on getting a fast core 2 duo and either a 7800 or 8800
Whats your price range? How affordable. You can get a nice PC from digital storm for 1000 or so bucks that will rape basicly anything else you could buy for that price. Though I still believe the best would be to build it yourself.

Quote by Schecter4lyfe
mac.

Cant game on a mac, and the ones you can are a pain to do it on. And macs are vastly overpriced.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Whats your price range? How affordable. You can get a nice PC from digital storm for 1000 or so bucks that will rape basicly anything else you could buy for that price. Though I still believe the best would be to build it yourself.

Cant game on a mac, and the ones you can are a pain to do it on. And macs are vastly overpriced.

$500 at most...
?!
Quote by grenade24
$500 at most...

Either build it, or save up more. I'd say save up more. You're not getting a halfassed gaming pc for that much.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH gaming at $500??? No. try adding a few $100 then you may get away with it.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH gaming at $500??? No. try adding a few $100 then you may get away with it.

What I thought. I could design you a decent gaming pc for 800 or 900, but you'd have to build it yourself.

computer prices dropped drasticaly since last year, I made mine last year and now i wanna cry when I look at the prices now haha, basically Im saying It wont be hard to find what your looking for

buy a refurbished one maybe?
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Seriously?

All im going to be playing is the Half Life series...
Maybe portal.
Not much online gaming, if any.

Like I said, I dont need a computer that will play Crysis on full capacity.
?!
If Windows Vista were a man I would castrate him and shove his balls down his mouth, make him swallow them, and repeat the process until he agrees to..die.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
go to ibuypower.com they give you more bang for your buck then apple and regular brand pc's (dells,hp,toshiba,etc)
these computers kick major arse
you can pick your parts so its almost like making your own pc
entry level dual cores go for about 550 and quad cores start at 750 which is not bad at all sir
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by rasveer
go to ibuypower.com they give you more bang for your buck then apple and regular brand pc's (dells,hp,toshiba,etc)
entry level dual cores go for about 550 and quad cores start at 750 which is not bad at all sir

Ibuypower and CyberPower suck. Theres a reason they're so cheap. They use ****ty parts, horrible costumer service, etc. You're much better off buying something from Dell or HP. Though digital storm will be the best bang for you're buck unless you build it.

Quote by grenade24
Seriously?

All im going to be playing is the Half Life series...
Maybe portal.
Not much online gaming, if any.

Like I said, I dont need a computer that will play Crysis on full capacity.

You're not going to be able to play half-life 2 very well on a 500 dollar pc.

As everyone said... I think your best bet would be getting one of these 700 hundred bucks Dell's one of my friend got recently. Although they DO come with Vista. But that's a question of an hour, top. You could easily play The Orange Box on that, and probably Portal too (I don't know it's requisitions).
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
I would save up another $200 and build one, it only takes like an hour tops to assemble your own computer once you have all the parts.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by el toro DKiAB
As everyone said... I think your best bet would be getting one of these 700 hundred bucks Dell's one of my friend got recently. Although they DO come with Vista. But that's a question of an hour, top. You could easily play The Orange Box on that, and probably Portal too (I don't know it's requisitions).

I would stay away from dell and any company that uses prioratary parts. you cant fix them up well.

Quote by rasveer

I tried building my own pc there, $842...
Gonna have to save up then...
?!
Quote by zekk
Ibuypower and CyberPower suck. Theres a reason they're so cheap. They use ****ty parts, horrible costumer service, etc. You're much better off buying something from Dell or HP. Though digital storm will be the best bang for you're buck unless you build it.

You're not going to be able to play half-life 2 very well on a 500 dollar pc.

Sh*t...

Fine Il go to $800, I hate my current computer that much.
?!
Quote by zekk
I would stay away from dell and any company that uses prioratary parts. you cant fix them up well.

Yeah me too lol. I have an entirely home built with 2000 $ computer. But with that kinda budget it won't work.
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
A couple of things:

-There's no way you can expect to get a decent gaming computer for $500.
-If you can't be bothered to build your own PC, then save up, because pre-built gaming computers starts from $1400.
-If you are a gamer, get Vista. Soon it will be the only OS that's compatible for PC games (take Halo 2 for PC for example).
-I've had Vista for a full year and it hasn't given me any problems at all. It's actually superior to XP. It has better memory management, smoother operations, and better security.

With all that said, here's a list of suggestions for a complete computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz
G.Skills 2x1GB RAM [Two Orders, 4GB]
Hitachi 500GB SATA HD
EVGA Nvidia 8600GTS 512MB
MSI P6N Sli Platinum Motherboard
PC Power 500w Power Supply
LZXT Lexa Case

Total with shipping and rebate: $952.91

Note: This doesn't come with a monitor or operating system.

If you don't feel you can build a computer on your own, get a friend to do it. There's bound to be someone you know who can build it for you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by zekk

They aren't that hard to fix, most of the parts that break easily (like hard drives) aren't proprietary anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ESP_Shreder

okay, I dont really want anything amazing.
Will it be at least half way decent, because probably the most complex thing i will be doing is making stupid videos on Garys Mod...
?!
Mate you probably want to get Vista...here in NZ you can't buy a computer with XP anymore. It's obsolete. Btw I doubt it will be easy to find a computer with good enough specs for your needs at that price =\
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
They aren't that hard to fix, most of the parts that break easily (like hard drives) aren't proprietary anyway.

Even more so what bugs me is that the customer service is ****. I called cyberpower to ask about their system and warranty, and the person was an idiot. Called back, different person, not as much an idiot but an unhelpful asshole.

And you can get PC's with XP, from places like digital storm. I'm going to stick with it till I absolutely must completely switch to vista. After that I'll prolly buy another hard drive and dual boot.

So far all i have been recomended are desktops, does anyone have any good gaming laptops?
?!
Quote by grenade24
So far all i have been recomended are desktops, does anyone have any good gaming laptops?

ha, gaming laptops are even more expensive than gaming computers... in fact laptops in general are more expensive.
Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Evo XM with EMG 81/85
Epiphone Stratocaster
Eastman AC120 Dreadnought
Martin Backpacker
Squire P-Bass
Kala Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
Quote by Bandrew
ha, gaming laptops are even more expensive than gaming computers... in fact laptops in general are more expensive.

Oh...

Anyway, Im only going to be making garys mod videos at most...
?!
Why don't you just stop being cheap and realize that making a good investment in the long run is better than buying a piece of crap in the short run.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Why don't you just stop being cheap and realize that making a good investment in the long run is better than buying a piece of crap in the short run.

Yeah. I'm building a system for around 2000, that should last me a good 2 or 3 years with minimal or no upgrades, given the way things are going. I could build it for 1500 myself, more then likely, but I'm out sourcing it to Digital storm for the pro setup and over clocking.

This is a very valid point. If you save up, get a decent computer now, 3 years down the road you'll still be using it. With what youve listed for what youre going to be doing with it, I would suggest a Mac even though it is more expensive

*puts flame suit on*

Seriously though. I have a Macbook Pro, its got 4GB of RAM and an Nvidia 8600GT graphics card in it. Granted to play a game on it you have to reboot into windows but that takes all of 30 seconds to do. And when youre not playing games, just use OS X. Program wise you can find a program for OS X that is of equal or greater quality than its Windows counterpart. Yes it IS $2000 but its definitely worth it. Plus you get the added bonus of all the available audio recording software thats out there for recording anything you want!! Hell, Garageband is INCLUDED with it...I wanna see that on a windows computer

And I dont wanna see anyone say that you can get a laptop of similar specs for a cheaper price. The Dell XPS that is the closest match is $500 MORE and you have to deal with Vista