hey guys, i recently have been practicing that short little solo at the beginning of "Mississippi Queen". and for those of you who know the solo, the first note is the B string 19th fret, bent up to the tone of the 21st fret. this is not a hard thing to do, but for some reason, the sound likes to cut out as i bend. i just wanna figure out why.

1- am i not pressing hard enough? i thought thats what it could be, but even when i press really hard when i bend, i can make it only upwards on the bend. start to go back down, adn the sound cuts out.

2- Is it the strings? just a possibility, maybe. not sure. but heck, i gotta ask. maybe its the strings that are no good.

3- Is it my amp/gain? i use a digitech pedal. so i use that to do all of my distortion. i have the gain set to max on the high gain amp setting, with my actual amp set to clean. the digitechs distortion is plenty. but maybe thats not enough gain.. *shrug*

one interesting thing i noticed is that its the B and High E strings that do this only. and i'd say only about frets 15+. teh lower strings are fine on high frets for holding out a note, but those two can't seem to do it.

any help is appreciated. thanks guys!
Last edited by wolverine1190 at Apr 28, 2008,
maybe you're touching a little bit above the fret there. That would cut out the tone on the high strings much easier than the lower ones, and then the frets are so close together that it would be easy to do. just a suggestion, check to see if you're doing that
what kind of guitar do you have? i used to not be able to get sustain or punch on really high notes with my old ****ty yamaha starter, but when a upgraded to a nicer fender with nicer pickups it solved the problem.
lol yeah i could be sliding over the edge of the fret a little bit i guess, but i did try it in really slow motion before to make sure i didnt do that. it still cut out. ... ah my guitar. its crappy. lol this is my first guitar. its brand is Harmony... hardly anyone has heard of them. its a fender/squier copy guitar. *shrug* bought it off a friend to start learning on.

I like Harmony Guitars. I know of a few pros that use them.
yeah, it's probably a dead note spot on your guitar. it needs some sort of adjustment. most ****ty guitars have little spots like this where the notes die and what not, but they're aren't worth even spending money on to get'em fixed.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
hold fret in middle i have first act and it does it i used to do it on the same song but i was sliding over a little bit
yeah, i try to hold the fret in the middle the best i can. but my finger almost takes up the whole thing.. lol pretty much does :P
I don't really get what you're trying to explain, I'd have to be there to really see, but theres a possibility it's your technique. What I mean is that sometimes you tend to lift the string up when you bend. Actually, a lot of people do that and have problems with it when they don't know what they're doing wrong.
actually, this could be it. my technique. i have had a question about bending so i guess i'll ask it now. do you bend with your fingers up and parallel wit hte frets ( the way your fingers are curved when you type) or do you lay them flat across the fretboard and push the string?
Quote by wolverine1190
actually, this could be it. my technique. i have had a question about bending so i guess i'll ask it now. do you bend with your fingers up and parallel wit hte frets ( the way your fingers are curved when you type) or do you lay them flat across the fretboard and push the string?

it's kinda hard to explain without actually showing you, but just fret a note normally and push the string up, simple as that. there are a number of things that could cut the notes. it could be your technique, you may be losing grip of the string as you come back down from a bend. it could also be the guitar. sometimes it happens on my guitar, i wipe down the string and the fretboard a little and it works after that. there may be some grime or dirt on your string and fretboard that kills the note. really though it's kinda hard to say what it is, without actually looking at the guitar. maybe you could get a friend to try the same bend on the same fret and see if it happens to him.

about "dead" spots on the guitar, i mean there are places where notes fret out. this is usually because the neck isn't properly set-up. it would require a truss rod adjustment, but i don't think this is your case after re-reading your first post
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
well, the strinsg i have are quite old... like 2 years old so im starting to change them. havent got to the one i've been bending though. so hopefully changing the string will fix it.

BUT!!!!

talking about dead spots. i had noticed that my 6th fret on the high E... it doesnt play much at all. just a very faint note. and the note is all... "wobbly" if i can use that word. sounds like it has extreme vibrato. i tested it first just by plucking it. and then i played say, the 12th fret on the high. while the note was ringing, i slid down the frets. and as soon as i left 7 and hit 6, the note died completely. i also notice that the sustain on that string is really short compared to the other strings. its a fairly new string too. couple months old maybe.... so any ideas on what the hecks going on with that and i'd be happy lol
Funny you should say that, I started playing through Mississippi Queen the other day, and got exactly the same problem. Mine seems fine one fret up, so I think its maybe just a high fret or something.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1