This is the first of a few tracks im going to be releasing with my co-writer.
Would appreciate any feedback, theres a hook for the vox and not a full verse/chorus kind of deal.

Let me know whats up... i really dont know what 'genre' this is (nor do i care).

CRIT FOR CRIT

**** www.myspace.com/themaums ****
It's got nothing to do with the vibe from the rest of the track, but that first few seconds sounded like battles, deadly buzz.
Well produced, lots going on without sounding all over the shop in a bad way. Some great sounds, mainly keyboard and guitar. Nice woodwind there too, sax I'm guessin.
The change halfway through is pretty sudden, maybe try and soften that blow, even by having the drums guide it from one side of the divide to the other.
Really great track, a bit like a sunnier acoustic ladyland. Great playing, guitar and otherwise, and you've done a great job to make everything fit so well together. I like the vocal hook too, don't think it needs additional vox, as there's loads of really good stuff there, just perfect I think. A real joy to listen to. The nuts guitar outro is well cool too.
You've actually gone and made a fan there.
Crit back? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796639
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
Sounds ALOT like mars volta but it's pretty freaking sweet just a little more vocals besides that " hey" that gets annoying. and what are you saying i'm puerto rican and it sounds like your saying hey tu no puedes hablar de

you cant talk of
anyways the music is super cool I like the hectic feel.
Smile alot today... okay?
Wow dude. This stuff is amazing. I really dig the saxophone, very tasteful. Do you guys play all the instruments or just create the music? This is really great sounding stuff. After the break in the first part I do agree there needs to be a little more coercion into the next part, but other than that I really have no complaints. This is definitely the kind of music I wish I could make

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845507 <-- thats my stuff
Quote by Serrana
Wow dude. This stuff is amazing. I really dig the saxophone, very tasteful. Do you guys play all the instruments or just create the music? This is really great sounding stuff. After the break in the first part I do agree there needs to be a little more coercion into the next part, but other than that I really have no complaints. This is definitely the kind of music I wish I could make

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845507 <-- thats my stuff

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we play all the instruments. For now its just two of us writing and working out the parts and we included a friend to do the keyboard role since he can really hold that down well.

I agree with that break part, but i had some unfortunate **** happen with the track where i really dont feel like mixing it down... its only a demo really, i just want this to sound as clear as possible for when i get a group together so we can reproduce this live which i dont think should be a problem.

thanks for the crit man

CRIT FOR CRIT, FOR ANYONE READING. I DO WRITE BACK
Quote by Sumthing Catchy
Sounds ALOT like mars volta but it's pretty freaking sweet just a little more vocals besides that " hey" that gets annoying. and what are you saying i'm puerto rican and it sounds like your saying hey tu no puedes hablar de

you cant talk of
anyways the music is super cool I like the hectic feel.

i thought it was pretty straight foward.... "hey, tu no puedes amarme"

cuban > PR. :P
Pretty cool vibe you got going there. Sounds a bit like Santana to me, dig the jazz-fusion element to it. Good playing, production, and I like how it has like 3 parts to it. Great stuff actually, I enjoyed it. Thanks for the crit on my reverse solo too.

EDIT: Oh and when you get the chance, C4C4C? I posted this cover on the same day as my reverse solo you critted, and not much replies.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845483
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Last edited by S0ulja23 at Apr 26, 2008,
Nice song, the quality is great. It's a little repetitive in the beginning, but not to much. The way the song progresses is really cool. All the instruments blend really well too. I can imagine that being played by an orchestra, it would sound sweet. Good job.
I do get a significant King Crimson/Mars Volta/Santana vibe. really great track though. well done on the panning of instruments, the overall quality is good. the drum bit at 4:05ish is a bit out of place. the "Hey!"s get a little hard to take towards the end as well. Did you use any midi tracks on this? also crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13979850#post13979850
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Last edited by aetherspear at Apr 26, 2008,
This has got some great energy to it, the playing is all very tight and well mixed. Awesome solos!

I think there's maybe too much stuff going on all at once some of the time, it sounds a bit cluttered. But that is really just my person opinion, I usually like listening to trios or bands with only one guitarist.

Overall, awesome song!
Very spanishy, I think you could change the lyrics the hey hey bit is a tad repetitive and maybe add more diferent melodies.
Other than great work !

and thanks for your crit !
I like it - very good timing and I get a cool vibe from it... The electric keyboard sounds good - the Hey is a bit repetitive as said above...

The electric guitars sound good and in time - the drums are well recorded as well

I just feel that sometimes there may be just TOO much going on at once - if that's what your going for than by all means keep it - I could hear this in a movie soundtrack...

Keep it up
The intro is really cool. I like the sax solo, but I think it went on a little long. The background got sorta repetitive after a while. Maybe throw in a bass or drum solo? Sorry I sound really harsh, I really like it.
Yes! This is what I like to see! This is great, I love your sound, very much like the Mars Volta and yet different. I can hear a chick corea influence and the saxophone playing was great. My only complaint was around 1:52 when there was the switch it just stopped then something different popped in. You need to work on your transitions. But don't listen to these people saying that there is too much going on, the problem with most of this kind of music is there usually isnt enough going on. Some songs its good to keep very thin and others a thick texture is great. Plus its not like your doing counterpoint so I wouldn't even think that in the first place.
Quote by TheNoManBand
Yes! This is what I like to see! This is great, I love your sound, very much like the Mars Volta and yet different. I can hear a chick corea influence and the saxophone playing was great. My only complaint was around 1:52 when there was the switch it just stopped then something different popped in. You need to work on your transitions. But don't listen to these people saying that there is too much going on, the problem with most of this kind of music is there usually isnt enough going on. Some songs its good to keep very thin and others a thick texture is great. Plus its not like your doing counterpoint so I wouldn't even think that in the first place.

firstly, i thank the community here for their kind words and posts.

Im glad someone got the whole "chic corea" thing i was going for... i dont play like chic, as that was another bandmate, but i really did want his specific sound that he had in the 70s while playing with miles and even with RTF. i agree and am thankful you pointed out that there could be another 'transition' into the part as thats what songwriting is all about - getting in and out of things in "style" and eventually brignin' it all home.

I am a fan as well for the 'wall of sound' thing that a lot of the groups i listen to do... my next step is to incorporate "noise" into my works and pads and such to really get a thick feel out of the music.

all in time.
Last edited by m_three10 at May 4, 2008,