Hi,

I'm never able to make bands work. I've been playing guitar for 8 years and I've played in a number of bands over the years. But they always seem to fall apart before they can play a show or record anything good. Its really depressing.

Some reasons are
-inability to get practice space
-people sucking and not having good gear
-initial motivation from members, but lack of motivation as time goes on

Is there anything I can do about this other than "find the right people"? I've been writing songs for many years and I'd like to be able to share them with the world and not have to give up on it all.
Quote by Roads5
Hi,

I'm never able to make bands work. I've been playing guitar for 8 years and I've played in a number of bands over the years. But they always seem to fall apart before they can play a show or record anything good. Its really depressing.

Some reasons are
-inability to get practice space
-people sucking and not having good gear
-initial motivation from members, but lack of motivation as time goes on

Is there anything I can do about this other than "find the right people"? I've been writing songs for many years and I'd like to be able to share them with the world and not have to give up on it all.

-people sucking
-not having good gear

Two different points, gear has nothing to do with skill.
The person below me is probably a homosexual.
start doing a solo thing? get your own name out there and let people come to you. Instead of starting your own band try joining someone else's. If you can record a little demo with a drum machine and put it on myspace or whatever that can help too.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
work your ass off and keep looking dude!
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
Agree @ the solo idea.

Try to get local gigs etc as solo, and eventually people will start to hear about you.
Quote by Snipe
-people sucking
-not having good gear

Two different points, gear has nothing to do with skill.

But you can't play shows or record a halfway decent album without proper gear.
try not to worry too muchabout gear. would you rather have steve vai plain a squier strat pack or some ****stain playin a $10,000 les paul?
about skill, you say youv playd for 8 years, youv got too have found at least one good guy at each instrument at one point. call them up if they are free and try to make a supergroup, w/o the fame and success. If you don't then all i can say is keep looking, perserverence and opourtunity will get you there, just wait for the opourtunity
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
It's probably an age thing right now. I'm assuming you're still in high school, which typically prevents most guys from playing with you. All the guys that are 20, or 22 don't really have the time in their schedule to work around someone in school, you know?

If anything, I doubt it's you; it's just lack of opportunity for the time being. In the meantime, keep getting better, and once you get something going, show your area you know what it takes, and you have what it takes to be the best musician out there.
I'm actually 20 years old and go to a state university.

When I say good gear, I'm talking about decent gear.

I've gotten people off of craigslist who claim to have good gear and all they have is a ****ty 10 watt amp.

The reason I dont do solo gigs is that I'm not a very good singer.

Yeah I write songs, and lyrics, but my singing voice is untrained and isnt naturally good enough to be a singer in a band unfortunately.
Quote by Roads5

I've gotten people off of craigslist who claim to have good gear and all they have is a ****ty 10 watt amp.

Yeah I write songs, and lyrics, but my singing voice is untrained and isnt naturally good enough to be a singer in a band unfortunately.

Keep singing, keep singing, keep singing.

Anyone can sing if they try hard enough.
I have the same trouble, I am in a university, yet can not put together a full band at any one time. I have played with many drummers many bassists a few vocalists and quite a few other guitarists yet cant get 4-5 people on the same page
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by dannyniceboy
I have the same trouble, I am in a university, yet can not put together a full band at any one time. I have played with many drummers many bassists a few vocalists and quite a few other guitarists yet cant get 4-5 people on the same page

ditto
shopping list:
Tech21 SansAmp GT-2 (check)
boss tremolo
mxr super comp (check)
e-h holy grail reverb
morley bad horsey II (check)
Grado SR-80 headphones
Shure SM57 mic
Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sheepball
chemistry is everything. the right people are out there, the trouble is getting them in the right combination.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by Roads5

just ask a singer from another band playing that night to sing for you... most would be glad as long as they know the song

Quote by fleajr_1412
It's not a parody. Claypool took a huge shit full of awesomeness all over the album, hence the name.

Speaking of "The Brown Album" by Primus

I have the exact same problem
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA