Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new guitar and I've narrowed the field down pretty far by now and I'm in love with PRS guitars.

I've been playing a few and I'm deciding between the Custom or the Swamp Ash Special
The Swamp Ash played like a dream and sounded great on clean, but I forgot to try it with some more distortion. How does the Swamp Ash specials single coils handle distortion in comparison to the Custom/Standard humbuckers?

Thanks
- Axel
You.... forgot?

That sounds made up.

Regardless, just buy it off the internet, since that's what you're doing. It's a PRS, you're not going to go wrong.
Quote by Widow6
You.... forgot?

That sounds made up.

Regardless, just buy it off the internet, since that's what you're doing. It's a PRS, you're not going to go wrong.

That's why I would suggest not buying from the web. The PRS costs a decent amount of money, and a shot in the dark in this case would be risky.
Custom 22 is a better guitar. I have one the pickups are more suited for distortion and they sound amazing on clean as well. I prefer mahogany wood as well I think it sounds better go for the 22.

Do not buy a guitar off of the internet ever!
I can't answer your question about the distortion but imo you really can't go wrong with a PRS guitar. You are already comfortable with it and if the single coil isn't what you are looking for with distortion you can always change it at one point.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by Widow6
You.... forgot?

That sounds made up.

Not buying off the internet. Spent 1,5 hour playing different PRS models and I realised afterwards that I didn't play the Swamp Ash on distortion, currently very into jazz but I'm not looking for a straight up jazz guitar since I play pretty much anything. However, there is no reason to be alarmed, I'm not going to buy it without doing it.

However, if you have experience with both please let me know what you think.
PRS guitars are setup to play like a perfect guitar should play. 2-3/32 action etc. all it is is a fender quality instrument with a professional setup and a pretty maple top. Ive talked to a few plant managers and one dude in the private reserve shop about a job there, problem is its 2 hours away and maryland is too damn expensive to live. Ive walked through the whole shop and stuff, very nice facility. Basically what it comes down to with PRS is...yes, you are buying a perfect guitar...however a perfect guitar can be produced/bought for under 1,000 dollars, so to an extent, you are buying the logo.

The single coils on the PRS guitars are high-quality. Yes they will be noisey with distortion, there is no-true-way around 60 cycle hum unless youve got a humbucker/psuedo humbucker thing going down. (ive wound a humbucker, but put 7k worth on one magnet, and only like 100 wraps on the other, produces a single coil tone with no buzz, etc)

yes it will sound good, just gotta keep er quiet. swamp ash is a nice tone-wood, looks pretty.

I did forget to add that the PRS 25'' scale is fairly unique to the brand, so it does play slightly different than any other guitar, but if you dont know anything about scale lengths and etc. its not easy to notice.
fight the power that be
Last edited by Guitarzan1143 at Apr 25, 2008,