The combo is cheaper than the stack version of the valve junior. So is there any difference in tone, characteristic, breakup point of the two versions? or any difference speakers used, diff. tubes etc?

Oh and i might get an overdrive pedal, so if I want to play at really low volumes but have a crunchy sound. What pedals would you recomend? I play classic rock and blues. Clapton, Page, and Hendrix are the tones that I dig. and im gonna use a strat with it.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Apr 24, 2008,
The stack has a 12" Speaker I believe, which is quite superior (tonally IMO) to the 8" (I believe) on the combo.
Everything else seems the same though. Not too sure though.
I think the head has more room for modding, but again, not sure.

For an overdrive pedal... Hmm... You should be able to get SOME breakup at low volume levels. Maybe a fuzz for hendrix?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
does the difference in speakers have to do anything with tube break up?
Oh and how far can this amp go in terms of distortion? Can it do some hard rock, GNR, Zeppelin sound?
its got one clean channel wont be great for gnr

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by lpmarshall
Oh and how far can this amp go in terms of distortion? Can it do some hard rock, GNR, Zeppelin sound?

The bigger speaker will distort later and have more fullness. a 12" speaker, most of the time is better than an 8".

I've only played a blackheart LG (similar to the valve junior), and it can get reasonably heavy. It'll get zeppelin, maybe not GNR.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by lpmarshall
well in that case i might just get the combo, since it cheaper and distorts earlier.

No, that's not what I meant.
The SPEAKER distorts earlier. And it gets very annoying since it gets a bit buzzy and bad higher up on the volume knob. I recommend that you go for the stack version.
Try them both out side by side. The stack will have a more "natural" tone, so to speak.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok, i see what you mean...
so like if the vol. was like on 4, on the combo, it would be very fizzy and harsh, but the on the stack, it would be more natural overdriving right?
^Exactly.

The 12" speaker makes the amp much much better than the little 8" speaker.
Plus, there are TONS of 12" speakers when you want to change it out for something else in the future.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Pedal wise, I'd suggest a Ibanez TS or one of the Maxon copies, and then add a Big Muff and you are set.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I've got both and darkarbiter7 is correct. The head/cab is also a bit louder and has better low end. Both are still pretty good. it really depends on your budget. I'd be happier with the combo and some pedals then the head without. but if budget isn't a problem get the head/cab and some pedals (they both love pedals). Never tried to get a GNR tone, but I get some great zeppelin. With something like a POD xtl you should be able to get close to any tone you like.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by lpmarshall

Slash plays with a decent amount of gain. Page played with none, so one single channel amp will not get you both.

You would prolly need a good tube distortion pedal, maybe somethin like a tonebone Hot Brit, to get Slash crunch. He runs the gain on his Marshall around the 7 mark, and I dont think that epiphone will supply near enough gain.
I'd just advise getting the stack, I really like mine. As most others have said, the 12" speaker would give you better tone overall. The features are definitely the same however, and I'm sure the tubes are as well. You can get a nice breakup just with the volume knob by around 12 o'clock. To be honest if you want to get nice tone out of the thing, you'll have to turn up the volume and play with the tone and volume controls on your guitar. I run a dunlop fuzz face through mine with a mexican strat and if you crank up the amp and turn the tone all the way down on your guitar you can get a really nice fuzz out of it, very Black Keys-esque. Hope some of this was helpful :|